Too Many Bluegills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Many Bluegills

I live in a retirement community in Frederick that has a large pond/small lake. I've fished there a few times and always catch a bunch of very small bluegills. Yesterday, I used a Roostertail and caught 7 bluegills between 1" and 5". Couldn't believe a 1" bluegill could be caught on a lure. Anyway...my question is what can be legally done to: 1) determine if overcrowding is the problem: 2) reduce the overcrowding and perhaps introduce something better like largemouths; 3) find out who can help with this endeavor...Maryland Dept of Natural Resources or someone else? Any advice or sharing of a similar experience would be appreciated.

I doubt the MD DNR would intervene given the water is on private property.

However, there are several commercial pond management companies in the general area. Just Google "Private Pond Management Near Frederick".

Here's one of the first ones to pop up:

https://www.solitudelakemanagement.c...ment-affiliate

And another:

https://aeclakes.com/

You'll have to sort through the companies that service strictly backyard ornamental ponds. However, the two above indicate they work to restore community ponds in Maryland and can balance the vegetative and fish populations in them.

Your biggest problem may not be tiny bluegills but convincing your co-residents' management council who may not be anglers to invest money in the pond.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Mark; 05-27-2020, 10:27 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I live in a community that has 2 pond/lakes that are privately owned. Having said that they’re technically storm water management ponds that are inspected by Maryland DNR for erosion issues and dam stability. We’re responsible for fixing any erosion problems. I’m willing to bet that’s what your lake is, storm water management. About 10 years ago we had a mass die off of fish in one of our lakes and Maryland DNR came and restocked with bass, bluegill and crappie. Beyond that they’ve got no responsibility for what goes on in the fishery. You could try contacting them to see if they’d stock some bass in your lake.
      You’ll find little interest in your community to create a quality fishery. We’re fortunate that one of the lakes has balanced nicely and supports a healthy bass population with some true lunkers. Word has gotten out and we get lots of trespassing on the lake. In a retirement community this would be an apocalyptic turn of events so don’t look for support from your board.

Good luck in your endeavor, thinning an overgrown bluegill population not an easy job.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Just get some guys to Secretly introduce some bass and pickerel.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I now have somewhere to start.

Comment

Working...
          X