Cheap a$$ Gotcha Jig Hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap a$$ Gotcha Jig Hooks

I’ve been doing more jigging this year than I have in the previous 5 combined. My tackle shop has an assortment of Gotcha Jigs ranging from 1oz up to 3oz. I’ve been using the 1 and 1 1/2 oz jigs because I’m in shallow water and the size has been very attractive to the fish. My issue with them is they use cheap a$$ treble hooks that are made of a brittle metal that you’ll snap a tine after a fish or two, or in the case of the 1 1/2 oz the solder separates (who solders a hook?). Here’s what a 22” fish did to this one today.

If you’ve got these in your tackle box do yourself a favor and swap out to a quality treble or single hook. Shame to lose a good fish because the manufacturer in this case went bottom of the barrel on the business end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

It’s the Got-Cha Jigfish made by Sea Striker. Clearly they didn’t bother to change the cardboard placard the comes with the lure where they advertise “extra sharp red treble hook.”. I’m color deficient but not that deficient.
    Mike

Comment

It seems like it's hard to find any lures these days that come with quality hardware. I end up swapping out split rings and hooks on nearly every lure I buy. VMC 4X in coastal black are my go to hooks now along with VMC stainless steel split rings. The coastal black color resists rust well.

The Gotcha jigheads are junk too.
      Brian

Comment

Sorry that your hook did not perform well. But the SMOG navy continues to find quality fish. A few days ago, I replaced a thin treble hook on a Yozuri plug with a small inline J hook in the belly position. I had a few good strikes on the lure. When I took a closer look at the lure later, I realized that the small belly hook had snapped off at the shank. In any system with a lot of parts, one part will be the weakest link. The fish found the weak link in your tackle this morning.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It’s not just this lure today, it’s every single one has hook failure. Mojopod has gone through a few hooks on his jigs as well. I think he was down to one tine on the water last time with his 1 oz jig. Love the lure, hate the hook.
          Mike

Comment

This last winter I just went ahead and switched all my hooks over to the black VMC 4x single hooks. I agree that very few lures come out of the box with quality hardware.
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
            X