Question about inflatable PFD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about inflatable PFD's

The cold weather gear threads got me thinking about inflatable PFD's.

I have a couple Bass pro shop gift cards and it looks like they sell several bass pro shop brand inflatable PFD's

Manual version
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...0204813/118171

Automatic/Manual version
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...58#description

Does anyone here have any experience with these PFD's? I like the idea of the Automatic/Manual option allowing me to take a dip in the summer and not worry about the expense of recharging the vest after. I could also set it to manual if i was in more dangerous areas and was worried about hitting the water unconscious. I guess that could happen against a pylon or being struck by a vessel.

Pros
    Lite Weight
    Not bulky
    Less stuff to snag up re-entering a kayak

Cons
    Expensive to recharge if deployed
    Where to put all my safety items

And that's where i ask this fine board where you put all your safety items when using these vests?

I currently have the following items in my vest at all times. in case i am separated from my kayak.

First Aid Kit
    Mirror
    Whistle
    Knife
    15ft para cord
    mini pen light

Do you use a fly vest to hold your safety items and wear the PFD over that? I can attach my knife to the strap without issue but where would i put all the other goodies? Am i just a pack rat?

I don't actually use one of those types you are looking at from Bass Pro. One thing you want to consider is if you want the disc type automatic or the hydrostatic. The disc type, as expected has a little disc, with a plastic ring. When the water hits the disc it disolves and the striker is free to hit the CO2 cartrige. The hydrostatic actually senses the water pressure, which sets it off. The cost of re-arming an automatic is between $25 and $35. The cost of re-arming a hydrostatic vest is about $70+. Some folks say that the disc type can go off in wet conditions. I think that may be very rare. I use a hydrostatic type myself. I also use a larger off shore type vest. It has more CO2, 38 grams. I generally only use mine in the colder weather, when I have all of the added clothing and waders. These may be some of the things you may want to consider. There are also the belt types.

Comment

Working...
    X