OC Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Blues

Hey Guys- I hear the big blues are back - OC bay. I know several kayakers have a great time targeting blues, but where is it safe? I typically go out of Sunset marina- if you turn right you go down the intercoastal to Assateague. Straight is the inlet with crazy current. Lt to the Rt 50 bridge with crazy current and boat traffic. Is there success down the calmer Assateague route- or do folks put in above the Rt 90 bridge?- I hear most of the boat action is just north of the 50 bridge/ accessable even by the 9th street pier. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, any size to them? I haven't seen or heard much on bigger ones so far this year other than a scattered few. I was actually hoping to try looking for them myself early Thursday or Friday morning for an hour or so before I have to head off to work.

A few other places to launch away from the inlet include South Point and Assateague State Park to the south. To the north there is Ocean Pines, Isle of Wight, 64th St., and Northside Park (you'll need to cart to the water). All of these areas can and will hold bluefish at different times.

I believe the area around the 9th St. pier is a bulkhead and launching could be a struggle if you're thinking about it. Another option if you really want to fish that area is, and it's been years since I've done it, and parking can be really hard to find in the busy season, but you can cart to the east side of Rt. 50 and launch right under the bridge. It puts you right into the east channel though so it'll be current and boat city. You'd have to shoot across the channel to the west to get up in the "fishbowl" area behind the small islands north of the bridge to get away from boats and the current.

Most of the bay away from the inlet is shallow flats of 2 - 5ft of water when you aren't in the channel (and blues will most certainly be up on the flats). Jet skis are your enemy this time of year on the flats though. They love to cut loose in these areas and some of the rental companies have designated areas on the flats for their patrons to use. It'll kill any good fishing if the are up and running wild. If I go back there this time of year I try to be there on the water by first light before the jet skis show up or I try to go at night and fish near lights. With all this re-opening phases I'm not sure where jet ski rentals fall into place so they may not be up and running yet, which would bode well for the shallow water fishing.
    Brian

Comment

Thank you!

Mr Bob- that's great! If I can stay far up north in OC and avoid the whole inlet traffic/ current etc and still catch blues then I am pleased!. Either this weekend or next- or Cape Henlopen if they are there. Looks like DE is open to out of state travelers after June 1. Not sure about NJ (I like Barnegate Bay/ IBSP on my yak this time of year as well)- PS- I heard for some reason there are just no fish heading down the Assateague direction from the inlet. its a nice calm area in that direction so I may have to try that as well- Too bad the big blues do not come up the Bay.

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
      Oh yeah, any size to them? I haven't seen or heard much on bigger ones so far this year other than a scattered few. I was actually hoping to try looking for them myself early Thursday or Friday morning for an hour or so before I have to head off to work.

A few other places to launch away from the inlet include South Point and Assateague State Park to the south. To the north there is Ocean Pines, Isle of Wight, 64th St., and Northside Park (you'll need to cart to the water). All of these areas can and will hold bluefish at different times.

I believe the area around the 9th St. pier is a bulkhead and launching could be a struggle if you're thinking about it. Another option if you really want to fish that area is, and it's been years since I've done it, and parking can be really hard to find in the busy season, but you can cart to the east side of Rt. 50 and launch right under the bridge. It puts you right into the east channel though so it'll be current and boat city. You'd have to shoot across the channel to the west to get up in the "fishbowl" area behind the small islands north of the bridge to get away from boats and the current.

Most of the bay away from the inlet is shallow flats of 2 - 5ft of water when you aren't in the channel (and blues will most certainly be up on the flats). Jet skis are your enemy this time of year on the flats though. They love to cut loose in these areas and some of the rental companies have designated areas on the flats for their patrons to use. It'll kill any good fishing if the are up and running wild. If I go back there this time of year I try to be there on the water by first light before the jet skis show up or I try to go at night and fish near lights. With all this re-opening phases I'm not sure where jet ski rentals fall into place so they may not be up and running yet, which would bode well for the shallow water fishing.

Comment

You can probably launch at Homer Gudelsky Park (Stinky Beach) at the end on Route 707, Old Bridge Road if you can find a place to park. You would have to cart the yak until you get past the rocks. There's a nice beach area there. Shore fished there many times. It will put you in calm water just south of the route 50 bridge. May want to have a look at that location when you get there.
        2016 Old Town Predator 13 Urban Camo

Comment

Great idea I know the currents can swirl around and rip quite a bit as you head out, but should be manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bluefish are superb fighters on light tackle...my biggest was a 19 pounder caught back in their heyday red drum fishing off the Virginia Beach Steel pier (long since gone) using heavy Hatteras Heaver style 10’ Lamiglas 1368 blank cut back to a 32 tip with an 9000 (c) Abu Ambassaduer Reel loaded with 300 yards of 25# Ande mono chunking a finger mullet on a fishfinder rig of a 10/0 English hook and an 8 Oz. Wingtip Sinker 100 yards off the end of the fishing pier...and even on drum tackle that 19# fish gave a really good account of itself...don’t eat them at all...just too many other species of fish that are far better table fish...and this year there are new regulations on bluefish, so know the law!
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-04-2020, 07:09 AM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think you can launch at the Convention Center in the mid-40's blocks too. I pm'd you some more detailed info.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                I think you can launch at the Convention Center in the mid-40's blocks too. I pm'd you some more detailed info.
                So I guess a negative report is better than no report. No bluefish to be seen. No flounder either. The good news is the launch at the 64th St. site is great. Put you right under the 90 bridge. Great protected site with three dollar an hour parking. I was on the water at 5:30 AM. Not so much as a splash ripple bird or fish to be seen. Went down to secrets then out to the main channel under the 90 bridge. Up north along the sedges. Left at 9 o’clock. Went to the 4th St., Bulkhead which is great. But no fish. None of the guys in the boats or party boats or catching anything. Went to the inlet at noon. Finished the outgoing. No Fish. Apparently the owner of the Ocean City fishing pier said the blues would arrive at 8 PM. So I went home empty-handed. I probably should have fished Cape Henlopen instead.

Comment

A negative report is as valuable, maybe more so, than a positive report. If I was going to travel a long distance to fish your report would help me decide where to go. Thanks for sharing.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Bummer, man. I'm sorry to hear you didn't find any bluefish. They were all over the area you started in on just Thursday morning too when I was there. There was lots of bait around, so you'd of thought they would have still been there.
                    Brian

Comment

Yeah that was not good. But I really like that launching spot. Let me know if they come back with any consistency. Would love to try again. PS. I was impressed with the easy access at the 4th st bulk head and the inlet area. Would be good for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X