Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a kayak panfishing rod

Hey folks,

Can anyone recommend me a good pan fishing rod for my kayak? I’m specifically looking for one with a shorter butt. I have been considering either the St. Croix panfish rod or the Shimano Croppie rod. But I’m open to any suggestions since neither of those really have the shorter butt. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, a fly rod.

Comment

Your choice of rods depends on how you want to fish for panfish. If you plan to cast small lures for perch, pickerel, crappie, bluegills, etc., you can do well with a light or ultralight rod and 1000 or 2500 series reel. I personally use 6' rods for that purpose. I have an old Eagle Claw ultralight rod, and two St Croix rods (Triumph - light, Premier - ultralight). I use them for pond fishing, and tidewater fishing for pickerel, white and yellow perch. I usually bring all three with me and rig each with a different lure.

If you are thinking of fishing with bait (suspended under a bobber or on a bottom rig for spot or croaker), you may want to go a bit larger and heavier. For example, a 6' or 6'6" light or medium light rod or even a 7' medium rod will get the job done. These would work with a 2500 series reel.

I will not suggest any particular brand or model -- your budget will determine what you get. Realistically, most panfishing does not require a super expensive rod and reel. The fish are not large enough to put a strain on most reel drag systems. There is another thread on Snaggedline talking about whether to buy inexpensive or high quality gear. That is a personal decision -- get what you feel comfortable using. More expensive equipment is likely to be smoother and stay in good working condition for a longer period of time. Have fun shopping.
      Last edited by J.A. Veil; 06-10-2020, 07:56 PM.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nicole,

You cannot go wrong with St. Croix. You might want to check their Triumph series. I assume you are looking for a spinning rod.

https://stcroixrods.com/products/triumph-spinning

Triumphs cost less than their domestically built rods.

I've used two 6.5 ft. Triumphs lite action rods for several years primarily for white perch. I've landed pickerel, channel cats, LM bass and legal stripers with them too. I've had zero problems with the Triumphs.

I know long rod handles can be difficult to use in a kayak. My Triumphs have a 7 inch butt section handle. (Just measured one to make sure.) That handle length has worked fine for me while I'm seated in my kayaks.

Good luck,
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

A panfish sized fly rod would have zero butt section!

Comment

I have a St. Croix Triumph 5'6" UL power, moderate action. It's my favorite panfish rod and very easy to use in the kayak, the butt section is very short.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I use Berkley 6.6 and 7 light and ultralight with Shakespeare President 1000 and 1500 reels. They are light and handy and will even handle the odd Rock or Cat that comes by.
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Looking for a kayak panfishing rod

I like a 6 foot long crappie rod in light weight and 4 or 6 pound test so I can really throw those 1/8 jig heads.

Comment

I use a bass pro elite series L rod. The butt seems short enough. Only thing I don’t like about using it is that if you get a by catch of a striper while perch fishing you’re going to have a hell of a fight.

Comment

I use the St Croix Premier, 6’ ultralight with a Diawa BG10.

2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                    X