waterproof bandage or dressing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterproof bandage or dressing?

Can anyone recommend a truly waterproof bandage or dressing to cover a burn that is about the size of a half dollar on the leg? Something that will keep the wound safe from the nasty organisms in the water of any place - Bay, Potomac, lakes?

TIA
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

I have never used these on a burn before but these work great for everything else. Should easily cover half dollar size area and you can get at CVS or Walgreens.

"Band-Aid Brand Hydro Seal Extra Large Waterproof Adhesive Bandages for Wound Care"
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

You may want to check with your doctor. I think you are supposed to let a burn breathe. Also, the bad bad bay bugs maim and kill when they get past the skin. Are you sure you want to chance that?

Comment

I was hoping to just be able to go to Rocky Gorge. What are the risks associated with reservoir waters?

After searching online last night there are bandages for burns that keep them covered, some long term. I am currently treating it by allowing it to breathe through gauze and topical medication.

After two years of very limited kayaking and the stay at home orders I was hoping to get out on the water again.

I do have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning.
        Last edited by zeebyrd; 06-11-2020, 11:18 AM.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Don't risk it in the Bay! Vibrio can kill you fast.

https://www.chesapeakebay.net/news/b...s_about_vibrio
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I will have to check WSSC's website regarding water quality testing - even if just for reference.

Actually one bad microorganisim in fresh water could cause problems, From what I've read it would have to be of a certain concentration to cause problems. With all the crazy "things" in this world who knows anymore.

I will talk with my doctor tomorrow. More than likely he's going to tell me to stay off any and all water. I guess I'll have to go bank fishing somewhere in the mean time. I believe it would still be good to have a waterproof covering on it even if bank fishing just to protect it from any splashing.

Remember the good old days when someone would tell you to go in the ocean to have the salt water heal whatever it was that needed it?
            Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Doc says no kayaking anywhere until it heals. He has me on a heavy dose of antibiotics.

I realized yesterday due to now having titanium knees I can’t risk an infection. This is fairly new to me so I didn’t think of it immediately.

He also said the burn should be allowed to breathe so I will continue to use the gauze pads and Neosporin.

I may get to kayak sometime this year. [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                Doc says no kayaking anywhere until it heals. He has me on a heavy dose of antibiotics.

I realized yesterday due to now having titanium knees I can’t risk an infection. This is fairly new to me so I didn’t think of it immediately.

He also said the burn should be allowed to breathe so I will continue to use the gauze pads and Neosporin.

I may get to kayak sometime this year. [emoji58]

I feel your pain zeebyrd. Last summer I had a two week vacation at the beach planned and got bit by a spider the day I was leaving. By time I arrived my arm was pounding so had to go to urgent care and was told I wasn’t allowed to kayak until it healed up which took a few weeks thus missing any kayaking or swimming in the ocean that weekend. Good luck and I hope your burn heals quickly!

Comment

Working...
                X