Where to fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to fish

I am looking to try for some rockfish on the bay this saturday. Most likely I will be trolling lures and would like to get the first keeper on my outback. Any recommendations on where to go? And how the weather will be. I’m still trying to learn how winds affect conditions. Any info would be great thanks!

It would really help if you indicated where you lived. There have been many reports on here for areas in Southern Maryland and the Annapolis area that will point you to areas that have produced. But nothing is guaranteed. Winds look good on Saturday for areas protected from N or NE winds.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I live in Carroll county so I have about an hour drive to sandy point area. Not appeared to driving a little further though!

Comment

Sandy Point and surrounding areas are going to be pretty busy since it's a Saturday. Lots of boats and wakes on the back side. If you are comfortable crossing the bay, you can launch on the East Side of the park from the small boat beach launch and then head about 090*-100* for Love Point. You can troll the drop offs which I have heard have been producing some fish.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
          Sandy Point and surrounding areas are going to be pretty busy since it's a Saturday. Lots of boats and wakes on the back side. If you are comfortable crossing the bay, you can launch on the East Side of the park from the small boat beach launch and then head about 090*-100* for Love Point. You can troll the drop offs which I have heard have been producing some fish.
          Yeah I have been launching at sandy pt and im getting tired of the boat traffic and fishing the bridge haha thanks for the info might have to check that out

Comment

Check out the different launches available in Queen Anne's County (just across the Bay Bridge). With the exception of the Kent Narrows ramp, they are far less crowded than Sandy Point, and put you into more sheltered water. During the past three weeks, the water quality and clarity has been decent over there, and the fish have cooperated for me.

Be forewarned that you do need to obtain a QA County ramp permit, even if you cartop your kayak. You can get a daily or annual permit.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome good to hear thanks! I will need to look up getting the permit

Comment

Getting a permit is pretty simple. Anglers has them and so does Chesapeake outdoors I believe. Takes less than 2 mins to fill out the form and get a sticker. You have to put it on your rear bumper but I didn’t want to stick it so I put it on some magnet material and cut it to size so it’s easy on easy off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get a permit at Anglers right before you cross the RT 50 bridge.

Theyve had wierd covid related hours/policies so it might be best to call ahead if you plan on getting it there.
                  "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Island Tackle Outfitters- on Kent Island next to Safeway & near where the Chick-fil-a
                    is located sells the QA launch permit as well- only $35 & you are closer to the launches
                    & shorter lines in the store.

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                      You can get a permit at Anglers right before you cross the RT 50 bridge.

Theyve had wierd covid related hours/policies so it might be best to call ahead if you plan on getting it there.
                      Got one a few weeks back at 615am. Didn’t have any issues. It felt like they are back to business as usual with the amount of people inside the store. It was packed.

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
                        Island Tackle Outfitters- on Kent Island next to Safeway & near where the Chick-fil-a
                        is located sells the QA launch permit as well- only $35 & you are closer to the launches
                        & shorter lines in the store.
                        True. If you go the island tackle route just be aware they don’t open til 9/10am.

Comment

Awesome looks like I will be getting a permit this weekend thanks everybody !

Comment

Goodhands Creek and Little Creek Landing - two great launches with good access to fishing.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                            2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Has any body tried using the permit machines and launch ar Romancoke or is it worth stopping at anglers?
                              PigPen - Mt Airy
                              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                              X