How to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to

We share on this forum...that is the primary attraction- to learn. So How do I fish for Speckled Trout in Southern Maryland waters? First, I study NOAA charts and look at Google Earth to see the actual satellite pictures of different areas I have access to from public launches. I am looking for habitat that could support the preferred waters of Speckled Trout- grass flats and out flows across shallow flats during tidal flows. Trout love grass. Once I have narrowed down my launch preferences, I pay attention to wind direction and wind speed as well as the tides. Does you no good to fish an area without moving water...might as well be fishing in a parking lot. And certain direction winds makes fishing impossible due to rough water. When everything is just right; wind, tide, launch location especially early mornings..epic fishing can happen. I normally go light when speck fishing-7’ medium light spinning rod, stradic 2500 10# braid, ten pound Trielene mono leaders 1/8-1/4 Oz jighead with soft plastic swimbait...Bass Assassins, Zman, Fat Sam...all work if you put them in front of a feeding trout. Check your lures often...loose grass is just part of the game when fishing grass flats and Sod banks. I troll in 2.5-4 fow and I hold my rod, occasionally yo-yo the rod to speed up and slow down the lure in an erratic motion. When you feel that “tap tap“ I drop the lure back and sweep it forward to set the hook. Do not horse speckled trout- they have “paper” mouths- easy to tear the hook out. Play the fish on light drag. If you intend to release the fish, use care in landing them and be advised do not grab a trout by the mouth to land it. They have two “fangs” that will puncture your hand! Lure colors I mostly use are: Limetruse, fried chicken, electric chicken, pearl/chart and lemon Peel...I am sure other colors will work- these are mine. I hope this helps those who have never targeted speckled trout. It goes without saying, but I am going to say it- noise on the flats in shallow water spooks the fish! Motor noise....banging anything in your kayak, dropping anything in your boat...scares the fish off...some even shutdown their sonar...so be advised to be quiet! From the looks of our fishing, this year maybe something special for Speckled Trout. Good luck and be safe!
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-14-2020, 08:20 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Great information ........ Thanks

Comment

Nice write up thanks. I’ve been thinking of taking an Eastern shore trip for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ron,

I believe I have caught only two specks in the Chesapeake. But I have caught many in FL and TX, most on jigs and paddletails and some on flies. The largest one I caught in the Chesapeake was a 20 incher that hit a popper. Your guidance is good. Sometimes they are aggressive and they hook themselves. More often, it is the tap tap you describe. When that happens I drop the rod tip to loosen the connection with them. That seems to give them the go ahead to suck in the lure in. Then I set the hook as you describe. I call it finessing them. On the FL and TX coasts, they can be be present in schools like white perch where you hook them on consecutive casts. Most I've caught that way are small, 12 to 14 inches. I've caught only a few in FL near 20, none that large in TX.

So, the question I have is why are they so prevalent here this year. Are they cyclical in our waters? Have you experienced other years like this locally? Our winter was mild. Could that be the reason? I hope they've come to stay and move north in numbers too.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, Specks have been in the Southernmost Maryland waters forever, as long as I can remember, particularly on the Eastern shore. On the Western shore side of the Bay and Potomac, their range is mostly limited to the Harry Nice (Route 301) Bridge and below- although some years a few stray specks can be found much farther up stream. We have had boom and bust years with both redfish and spotted sea trout. Right now the redfish are in the bust cycle while the trout seem to be booming back...big, fat, sassy specks (my personal best kayak speck caught in Maryland was 26 inches) that scream the drag on a 2500 reel...but they are concentrated in pods of a few dozen fish, here and there. Find those pods and enjoy the show! I usually catch and release the vast majority of the specks I catch although I have to admit, I like eating these tasty fish. In a normal season we catch several dozen Speckled Trout...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-15-2020, 07:11 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron,

I was actually supposed to chase specks on the fly tomorrow south of here in the Bay. But projected high wind has canceled that trip. Later this summer I'll get after them. Continued success to you with them.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good stuff guys. I've caught a few speckled trout in the OBX. I hope to go after them when I return this fall.

Comment

Working...
              X