No announcement yet.

Why fishing rods break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've commented here that high quality fishing gear does not always have a high quality price today. A rod lost overboard or snapped in two is not a financial hardship for most of us.

Some top end companies do offer replacement guarantees if your rod breaks. If you're prone to doing so, you might want to pay a premium now for that assurance. However, even Loomis, whose gear is indeed expensive, says this on its website to qualify what a broken rod is:

"No, this DOES NOT INCLUDE rods broken by rod lockers, overhead fans, door jams, big butts, big shoes or boots, irate wives, or other calamities that are “human created” rather than a structural failure."

Orvis is more forgiving -- at least for 25 years:

"Purchase a Helios 2. Helios, Hydros, Access, Superfine (since 01/01/88), Clearwater II, or Custom fly rod from Orvis, and we will repair or replace it no matter what the reason, for a quarter of a century. Step on it, close the door on it, run over it with the car-it doesn't matter, we'll fix it. If we can't repair it, we'll choose a current fly rod of at least equal value to replace it. Your investment is assured for a nominal shipping and handling charge. This 25-year guarantee also applies to all Zero Gravity, T3, TLS, or Clearwater fly rods originally purchased from Orvis."

Many rod makers today, even the mid-priced makers, offer structural guarantees on their rods for life or extended periods. I guess as long as none of them have a Cownose Ray stipulation in their guarantees you can fish without fear here the summertime Chesapeake.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Big Butts indeed!
      I fell on my favorite G. Loomis rod, the one I specifically used for shad fishing.
      I snapped the rod off just above the handle and posted the picture here a couple of years ago.

Loomis would not replace the rod since I was a second party owner. (eBay purchase).
      They did, however, offer me $100.00 off on the purchase of a new $500.00 rod.
      Uh, no thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X