Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to buy? Double?, peddle?, electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy? Double?, peddle?, electric?

Basically live on the Patuxent, upper Calvert area.
    I have a flotilla of kayaks that I use on Mountain rivers and local tidal fishing: Coosa HD, 2) Cuda 12s, WS tarpon 120, refish 10.

Heres where we are at, we are more and more fishing the local Patuxent. We are in our late 50s, but good shape.
    We like to fish the meandering creeks that dump into the Pax. Problem is that we have to time our fishing with an agreeable tide, so we are not paddling 1-2 miles AGAINST the tide in the main river to get to our creeks to fish.

Another factor is, my wifes sister who is an avid fisherwoman, is now fishing with us at least 50% of the time.
    My wife and her sister have fished and crabbed off the piers and shore here for the last 15years, so it is not a passing fad.
    As much as I may struggle paddling against a strong tide, it is a show stopper for them.
    They also want to start crabbing from the kayaks.

So, I am looking at a few options.
    Add propulsion to our existing kayaks.
    Buy a tandem peddle kayak for the 2 women (it would help with them crabbing). I could possibly use it when I am solo.
    By 2 solo peddle drive kayas for them (I would tough it out paddling when we all 3 go out)
    Peddle? Electric??

I looked at the "Feel Free Lure 2" with peddles, kinda like what I see.
    Anyone with any thoughts?

Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

It took a meet and greet at Point Lookout For me to make the decision to buy a Hobie Outback- the advantages of the Mirage Drive was clearly demonstrated. Love this boat. It is a fishing machine, and allows hands free fishing, longer distance trips and trolling...Since I got my Outback in 2012 (paddle yak is a Ocean Prowler) I have developed a very effective trolling strategy that I fish the majority of the time. I would not buy a double...the added expense for the limited use just is not worth it- in my opinion.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I agree with Ron that a tandem is unlikely to get used often. I tried that with my wife and daughter 15 years ago. They went out once, and that was the end. I sold the tandem.

A tandem pedal drive boat is likely to be quite heavy and expensive. Think carefully before going that route.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I bought a tandem outfitter 2 years ago and I’ve been happy with it for similar situations as you are describing. With a loaded cooler in the front you can fish it solo and it’s comfortable for 1.5 adults (~350 lbs) but could probably be better balanced with some thought.

I think it would work well for what you are looking for. I would not buy a double paddle kayak. It takes too much coordination to paddle together. With the Hobie you can put one person on the rudder and just pedal.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
          Defiantly not a fad for the wife and her sister, they have been crabbing and fishing together for 20-30 years.
          Wife had a 16 CC mako that was sold last year because we lost use of the local private ramp, and had no ramp within 30 min, While we have a kayak launch at the end of our street.
          The sister is somewhat clumsy on the kayak, but said she was really getting the hang of it yesterday and was going back out next weekend
          When we all 3 go out they hang together, while I work my way around,, they typ "bait fish" while I cast lures.

I still need to read more advice,, but if I get a single peddle drive, I would need 2, while I would still paddle.
          we were previously going to get a wide 12' Jon and 2-3hp outboard,, but now have settled on getting a peddle or trolling propelled kayak(s)
          I do like the feel free lure 2,, as it appears supper stable and can be operated as a single? though at 100# that will be fun by myself at the local kayak launches.

PHOTO_20200627_192415.jpg
          Last edited by Slackdaddy; 06-28-2020, 06:06 PM. Reason: add pic
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Ron,
            how is the hobie drive in shallows or over logs? some of the creeks we like have fallen trees blocking them. we can get our kayaks over but it keeps the boats and spot lighters out.

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            It took a meet and greet at Point Lookout For me to make the decision to buy a Hobie Outback- the advantages of the Mirage Drive was clearly demonstrated. Love this boat. It is a fishing machine, and allows hands free fishing, longer distance trips and trolling...Since I got my Outback in 2012 (paddle yak is a Ocean Prowler) I have developed a very effective trolling strategy that I fish the majority of the time. I would not buy a double...the added expense for the limited use just is not worth it- in my opinion.
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

The new 2020 drives have kickup fins that work well when you hit a rock or tree limb...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                how is the hobie drive in shallows or over logs? some of the creeks we like have fallen trees blocking them. we can get our kayaks over but it keeps the boats and spot lighters out.
                Mirage Drives can be "feathered". That is you push the pedals forward and do 1/2 or 1/4 distance strokes. That technique keeps the fins closer to the hull yet still propels the boat slowly. It's a technique I use often in shallow water or to go over logs. If you do hit an obstruction with the traditional drive at a normal pace, little damage is likely to occur. In my original Revo, I ripped a fin from the mast in Wye Mills lake hitting a hidden stump. I should have known better. I was going too fast along a shoreline. That was an easy fix. I bent the shafts hitting a concrete block at Goodhands Creek going full steam. Again, I cut a corner going too fast and too close to shore and discovered the obstruction. The drive still worked even though the shafts were bent but I replaced the shafts. I've been much more careful with my new Revo. Just because it goes fast doesn't mean I have to in certain areas.

You can also push the pedals all the way forward, lock them in position so that the fins are tight to the hull and use your paddle in shallow water.

That said, more troublesome for the drive is vegetation on the surface or just below. That will stop you in your tracks. That's why I use my paddle boats in lieu of my Hobie in certain locations -- ponds mostly or even now in tidal creeks that are still choked with vegetation as the tide falls.

But the Mirage Drive is a remarkably hardy piece of gear.
                Last edited by Mark; 06-29-2020, 07:10 AM.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you remain paddling, I do think you would benefit from longer kayaks. Longer = more glide and easier paddling. 10-12 foot kayaks are not great at paddling long distances....throw in current and wind...no bueno.

If you have the money, go for a Hobie.

While electric motor kayaks look lots of fun, I'm not up for the added weight or complexity of it. In my mind kayaking is all about simplicity and light weight.

Comment

Slackdaddy,

As I reread your original post I would add another vessel to your list of options.

Sometimes I believe we try to stretch kayaks beyond their ideal capabilities or optimum utility. If I had the criteria you mentioned, in the environment you fish, I would also consider a boat with a small outboard. Given the price of kayaks today, a small aluminum v-hull or Jon boat can be had for a similar cost or even cheaper than many pedal-driven kayaks.

I also agree with Tom. To me, the attraction of kayak fishing is its simplicity in a lightweight package. I was willing to go for pedals but nothing to enhance my range or speed or fishing experience beyond that. And honestly, given where I fish most often my pedal kayak stays home more than my paddle boats. That's my preference. Your needs sound to me like they extend at least marginally beyond kayak fishing.

Just a thought...
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,
                      Thanks for your reply.
                      I have always been 100% against making kayak fishing "complex"
                      We sold the 16' center console boat because of the maintenance on the trailer (wiring, lights, bearings), the maintenance on the boat/motor/electronics, etc, and the closest drive in boat ramp was 30 min away, While we have a kayak launch less than 1/4 mile away,, the end of our street. We just drop 1, 2,or 3 kayaks in the bed of the truck and are on the water in 10 minutes. The way the launch is set up,, could not really use a jon/outboard.

We don't really fish the main body of the Pax, but slip up the numerous creeks. Problem is having to time your fishing with the tide to get you there and back, Creeks up river are ok, as you time it so incoming tide takes you there, fish high/out going tide, then out going takes you back. Problem is most of the good creeks are down river, timing it would mean fishing low tide in the creeks,, doesn't work.

we would fish the creeks as we always have, paddling the kayak,, I just need a way to go 1-2 miles against the tide with 2 women, they are good paddlers, but not that good.
                      Either add some sort of propulsion to 1 kayak and tow them? add propulsion to 2-3 kayaks, I really can not see this working and keeping it simple.
                      or get well engineered kayaks with peddles.

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Slackdaddy,

As I reread your original post I would add another vessel to your list of options.

Sometimes I believe we try to stretch kayaks beyond their ideal capabilities or optimum utility. If I had the criteria you mentioned, in the environment you fish, I would also consider a boat with a small outboard. Given the price of kayaks today, a small aluminum v-hull or Jon boat can be had for a similar cost or even cheaper than many pedal-driven kayaks.

I also agree with Tom. To me, the attraction of kayak fishing is its simplicity in a lightweight package. I was willing to go for pedals but nothing to enhance my range or speed or fishing experience beyond that. And honestly, given where I fish most often my pedal kayak stays home more than my paddle boats. That's my preference. Your needs sound to me like they extend at least marginally beyond kayak fishing.

Just a thought...
                      1 - Mad River Canoes
                      1- Tarpon 120
                      1- Redfish 10
                      1- Coosa HD
                      2- Cuda 12
                      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Dan,
                        Problem is, I also need width for stability,, The Jackson big rig is bad enough, I could not imagine paddling a 14' x 34-36" wide kayak in open water.
                        The sad thing is once we enter the mouth of the creeks, it is classic 10-12' kayak fishing in it's purest form,, it is just getting there against the tide.

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                        If you remain paddling, I do think you would benefit from longer kayaks. Longer = more glide and easier paddling. 10-12 foot kayaks are not great at paddling long distances....throw in current and wind...no bueno.

If you have the money, go for a Hobie.

While electric motor kayaks look lots of fun, I'm not up for the added weight or complexity of it. In my mind kayaking is all about simplicity and light weight.
                        1 - Mad River Canoes
                        1- Tarpon 120
                        1- Redfish 10
                        1- Coosa HD
                        2- Cuda 12
                        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I'd agree that the tandem route isnt a great option. I have the Big Tuna, and its a great yak for me and my 8yr old, but I cant see two grown people fishing from one. I would say the tandems on the market today are more for 1.5 people, not two.

Looks to me like some sort of propulsion system is in order. You could equip one yak with a torqeedo and use it to pull the other, or put a bixpy on both of them for the same cost. I love my torqeedo but don't have any experience with the Bixby units. The random reviews Ive read here and there sound like they are decent units, if not for full out propulsion, at least for paddle assist.
                          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

If you are considering an electric motor, you can use one electrified kayak to tow at least one other kayak. I have fished with three Florida kayak guides that have motors on their kayaks. The guides with whom I fished in the Keys and in the Everglades had Torqueedo motors. They attached a short rope to the front handle of the kayak I was in and towed me along behind -- in some cases for several miles at a time. The guide I used in Ozello (west coast of Florida) had a Minnkota motor. She held onto the side of my kayak and pulled me along next to her boat.

2003-08-01 00-18-01.jpg

Tom's comment mentions longer kayaks. In March I bought a Native Ultimate FX15 tandem kayak. This boat is 15'3" long, has comfortable seats, and paddles very fast -- much faster than my 11' paddle kayak. I took out one seat and use it in the solo configuration (the photo shows its original tandem arrangement). That might work for you in its tandem configuration.

2020-03-28 10-39-57.jpg
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

In my list of options for the short run,, it is electric on the Coosa HD, towing the other 2 kayaks to the point of fishing. Hoping to get it built for ~500.00 incl a Lithium battery.

Long term would be a tandem peddle kayak for the 2 gals,, providing we can demo it and it fits us.

The Only thing about "electrifying" the Coosa is then having to register it,,, Not much on paying the state because I hit an age where I want to use a trolling motor.

We actually have a Native Ultimate tandem in our circle of friends, it has not seen water since he purchased a Jackson Big Rig. In the end the "Ultimate" is just a canoe, and layout and gear management is nowhere near the current offerings of SOT kayaks.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              If you are considering an electric motor, you can use one electrified kayak to tow at least one other kayak. I have fished with three Florida kayak guides that have motors on their kayaks. The guides with whom I fished in the Keys and in the Everglades had Torqueedo motors. They attached a short rope to the front handle of the kayak I was in and towed me along behind -- in some cases for several miles at a time. The guide I used in Ozello (west coast of Florida) had a Minnkota motor. She held onto the side of my kayak and pulled me along next to her boat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26394[/ATTACH]

Tom's comment mentions longer kayaks. In March I bought a Native Ultimate FX15 tandem kayak. This boat is 15'3" long, has comfortable seats, and paddles very fast -- much faster than my 11' paddle kayak. I took out one seat and use it in the solo configuration (the photo shows its original tandem arrangement). That might work for you in its tandem configuration.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26395[/ATTACH]
                              1 - Mad River Canoes
                              1- Tarpon 120
                              1- Redfish 10
                              1- Coosa HD
                              2- Cuda 12
                              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
                              X