Best Fishing Books/DVDs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Fishing Books/DVDs??

Planning to create a resource library of books and dvds about fishing within a 50 mile radius of Frederick, MD. Materials about local waters, techniques, locations, guide services, etc. would be great. Mostly prefer freshwater stuff, wade fishing, and shoreline fishing. What would you recommend I acquire?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Your criteria are specific so my recommendations may not exactly apply. Plus the two books I'll mention are old. The bad thing about printed books is that their information begins to age as soon as they come off of the press. Add to 20 to 60 years to the info and you definitely take your chance on continued relevance. But fishing in general is timeless. What worked then and where very likely may continue to work today.

Brooks2.jpg

Maryland Trout Fishing by Charlie Gelso and Larry Coburn has great access information to MD streams and rivers, many of which are in your area of concern. Those waters hold more than trout, as I'm sure you're aware. My copy is 20 years old. But as I flip through it the maps with access points are still largely accurate.

Fly Fishing by Joe Brooks is an old book that I have that I'll never part with. My copy was printed in 1958. It predates my ability to read! However, I learned a lot about fishing and fly fishing from it over the years. Joe Brooks was a native Marylander born at the turn of the 20th century. He wrote for the Baltimore Sun and Outdoor Life Magazine. He also mentored Lefty Kreh who most definitely followed his mentor's path in life including a stint of his own at the Baltimore Sun and writing for various magazines. Brooks mentions fly fishing the Potomac in his book, especially in his chapter on "Landing Bass on the Fly".

Brooks1.jpg

I have lots of fishing books which adorn a shelf more often than they find their way into my hands. Going back to the relevancy issue, the internet with its many blogs, fishing club webpages, YouTube and DNR websites is more useful to me now than books. I go to the web first for information about an area. But I mention the above because I know they address the area you are concerned about.

You might also look for books by Ken Penrod. I do not have any but I know he has written about bass on the upper portions of the Potomac.

Good luck in your search.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Bruce, Joe Bruce, Lenny Rudow and Shawn Kimbro have produced some good books that you should consider for your collection. I also happen to have a large stack of in fisherman magazines that have a lot of articles about fishing in this area (and throughout the northeast) that you are welcome to if you are interested.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Don’t forget Alan’s books. They are the best Out their. His maps of the flats are the best I’ve seen. His books are classics that should be in every fisherman’s library

Comment

Thanks to all for comments. Also, how do I find Alan's books?

Comment

Try to find a copy of Ken Penrod's. "Fishing the Upper Potomac River". (1989)

While some of the information may be dated, i.e. the cabins at Lander are long gone, the river itself hasn't changed all that much. Ledges and holes remain pretty much the same.

"Wade and Shoreline Fishing the Potomac River for Smallmouth Bass". Steve Moore. (2010)

While dealing primarily with wading, this book offers insight into access points and fishable areas.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
              You can pm Alan here his screen name is Yakfish. Or on here or Amazon. https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....53629&fref=tag

I’d start by pming and asking him to sign it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
                Thanks guys.
                My books are about striper fishing, which is bay specific. I'm not sure if that is what you want, but if so, facebook is an easy way to reach me for signed copies. Amazon has them and so does Anglers/Tochterman's. https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake.kayak.trolling/

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

It's also worth noting that John Veil and Marge Bange on this site have decided to add to the community of knowledge and also have written books.
                  The last 10-15 years in our sport has been pretty exciting because of the explosion in popularity. We're seeing new material and videos from right here in our own back yard and that's great.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Alan,
                    Thanks for the follow-up. I am most interested in freshwater fishing...and since I sold my kayaks last year...most of my time will be spent either wading or on the shoreline. So resources about that is what I'm trying to collect.
                    Thanks,
                    Bruce

Comment

Bruce,

This hardcopy info meets your distance and shoreline access parameters, I believe:

https://www.potomacriver.org/resourc...omac-map-sets/

This is also a very interesting link providing virtual river tours of the Chesapeake Region. Some fall within your area of interest:

https://www.findyourchesapeake.com/p...al-river-tours
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                        It's also worth noting that John Veil and Marge Bange on this site have decided to add to the community of knowledge and also have written books.
                        The last 10-15 years in our sport has been pretty exciting because of the explosion in popularity. We're seeing new material and videos from right here in our own back yard and that's great.
                        Alan,

Thank you for recognizing me here as a kayak fishing book author and also for noting my feminine side (Marge).
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Alan,

Thank you for recognizing me here as a kayak fishing book author and also for noting my feminine side (Marge).
                          HAHAHAHA!!! I kinda like Marge, lol.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X