Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed out sunday- anyone want to meet up? (Location TBD based on interest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed out sunday- anyone want to meet up? (Location TBD based on interest)

Haven't been fishing off the yak since March but looks like I'll be able to get out Sunday, looking at early AM to beat the heat. Anyone want to meet up? I'll likely launch from Jonas green on the Severn or head down to mattawoman since those are the two launches I'm familiar with, but I can head somewhere else if there's interest.

I'm a competent newbie compared to some of the old salty dogs on here but I'd welcome any skill level companion, we can stay 6 feet apart on land and more in the water.
    Last edited by thedutchtouch; 07-02-2020, 02:43 PM.
    -Justin

The perch have settled into their summer haunts on the Severn. Bring an ultralight for some fun and watch out for the hungry channel cats, they are a real challenge on light gear!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
      The perch have settled into their summer haunts on the Severn. Bring an ultralight for some fun and watch out for the hungry channel cats, they are a real challenge on light gear!
      thank you! methinks some perch may be the target species based on your feedback... now to study MOC's videos to find some good spots on the wall
      -Justin

Comment

Docks (definitely get under them and allow your lure to sink towards the bottom), timber, grass, shady areas.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
          Docks (definitely get under them and allow your lure to sink towards the bottom), timber, grass, shady areas.
          it's been a while but i've had some success over by the naval academy wall as well, but yep, i was mostly kidding about the video stalking- i'll be looking for structure and shade. fingers crossed for a favorable wind forecast...
          -Justin

Comment

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I have fished in at least 8 different Severn creeks and tidal ponds. I found perch in predictable spots (shady areas are the key) in 6 of them. In the other two creeks, the SAV growth was so extensive that I could not keep my lure from getting fouled with grass. I suspect the perch were there too, but I could not get to them.

I use a small spinnerbait (safety-pin style spinner) but other small lures will attract perch. Beetle spins, inline spinners like Mepps, and tiny crankbaits make some disturbance going through the water and attract the perch. I cast to the shoreline and work the lure back. Most of the bites I get come in less than 3' depth. Other anglers like to drop twistertails or paddletails in deeper water under docks and boathouses. Some of the biggest perch I have ever seen caught in the Severn (not caught by me) came by jigging a metal lure over oyster shell bottom or debris piles.

The water quality has been less than optimal in the Severn since May. The mahogany tide is nearly gone now. If you can find greenish water in the creeks, try those first. If not, look for brownish but somewhat transparent water. Heavily muddy water or reddish brown water (from the mahogany tide) are likely to yield few fish.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Over the past 2-3 weeks, I have fished in at least 8 different Severn creeks and tidal ponds. I found perch in predictable spots (shady areas are the key) in 6 of them. In the other two creeks, the SAV growth was so extensive that I could not keep my lure from getting fouled with grass. I suspect the perch were there too, but I could not get to them.

I use a small spinnerbait (safety-pin style spinner) but other small lures will attract perch. Beetle spins, inline spinners like Mepps, and tiny crankbaits make some disturbance going through the water and attract the perch. I cast to the shoreline and work the lure back. Most of the bites I get come in less than 3' depth. Other anglers like to drop twistertails or paddletails in deeper water under docks and boathouses. Some of the biggest perch I have ever seen caught in the Severn (not caught by me) came by jigging a metal lure over oyster shell bottom or debris piles.

The water quality has been less than optimal in the Severn since May. The mahogany tide is nearly gone now. If you can find greenish water in the creeks, try those first. If not, look for brownish but somewhat transparent water. Heavily muddy water or reddish brown water (from the mahogany tide) are likely to yield few fish.
              thank you very much for the detailed reply! very much appreciate your advice. looks like Jonas Green's going to be where i go unless the wind forecast changes a lot
              -Justin

Comment

Working...
              X