To hot to fish ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To hot to fish ??

Have taken today off, and planned on fishing for over a week.
    But Friday is here, and supposed to be 95 deg.
    Was going to fish the Patuxent by the house, high tide is 3:00 PM,, so It sets me fishing 3:00 to about 8:00 pm

I was really looking forward to today,, but man oh man,,,, I hate heat and humidity

Anyone else braving it ??
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Yes, I'm going out after I mow my lawn. You gotta do what you gotta do! Those perch ain't gonna catch themselves![emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

I braved the heat this morning. It actually didn't feel that bad when I launched from Downs Park in Pasadena at 0800. I launched on the west side of the park into Locust Cove which leads to the Bodkin and three other creeks and the Patapsco itself if you're really ambitious. I wasn't ambitious today. I stayed within the creeks on a perch search. I carried three light spinning rods, each with a different colored 1/8 oz. jig spinner. (They each worked.)

The tide was about 2 hours past high when I launched. I saw lots of unrooted SAV floating near the launch which was a good thing. This was my third run from Downs in about 4 weeks. The floating SAV indicates it is dying which provides more lanes for lures to get through the heavily weeded shallows. That was the case today.

I meandered around for 3 hours hitting various spots in Bodkin Creek and Back Creek. Shade was hard to come by as the sun got high. So I cast under and near docks. That was a good approach today. I boated 22 perch and had at least 1/2 as many more come unbuttoned. This was the average size:

IMG_3822.jpg

I measured one at 10 inches which I believe was the largest.

Nothing spectacular but the perch are definitely moving to their summertime haunts and a jig spinner is a good way to attract them.

By mid-morning the Holiday jet skiers and party boaters were heading out into Main Creek. The geese and I stayed close to shore out of their way:

IMG_3827 (2).jpg

I was back to my van by 1100 and by then I did notice the heat. It was 91 as I drove home and the thermometer was rising.

For those interested in launching from Downs, the county is presently allowing free access. Normally, I believe the fee is $6 unless you have an Anne Arundel County Park Pass. But right now the gate attendant won't even ask for your pass.

The attendant will ask you to "sign in" by filling out this slip:

IMG_3828.jpg

Park officials have not been consistent with that in the past. I've launched there often when they did not ask me to fill out the form. When I mentioned that, the attendant told me they are being more diligent about it this year. She gave me some blank ones so I can have the form already completed the next time I drive up to the gate.

So yes, it's a hot start to our Holiday. But a morning paddle through the Bodkin and tussling with some perch was a good way to start the weekend.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mark; 07-03-2020, 02:27 PM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Well loading up and headed to the PAX, We have plenty of frozen water bottles, Gatoraides, etc.
        I'll let you know.
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Fished Eastern Bay all morning. Very tough going, woke up to 73 degrees, the split low tide had the water stagnant until a breeze picked up mid morning. Quickly warming up with strong direct sun and nary a cloud in the sky. Lots of dinks, rays, and jellyfish abound not to mention everyone and their moms setting out trotlines and pots of all shapes and sizes to navigate around. Trolled approx 10 miles finding more action in the 20-30 ft range then worked shoreline and deeper pockets under hot sun with no breeze for perch, spot and the occasional speck. Hard fishing, not a lot of payoff, but a day on the water nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

We put in on the PAX about 3:30pm, in the lower Marlboro area, Me on my Coosa HD and Wife and her sister each on a Cuda12.
            They were going to crab with hand lines (floats), and catfish around the launch.
            High tide was 3:00 - 3:30, so I timed the launch to paddle up a creek and drift the tide out, casting for Sneks, Bass, perch,whatever hits the lures.
            I had 4 rods at the ready: 1/4 chatterbait with paddle tail trailer, Mepps spinner, shad colored swim bait, Buzz bait.
            The Pax has a million creeks, all very similar, 20-40' wide, snaking back 1-3 miles till they turn into a 4' wide creek.
            I went to the closest creek (which is one of the smaller ones), the tide was high but heading out, with water still up in the grasses. Worked my way back about 1 mile till the creek was about 10' wide and 1' deep. I did fish my way in, with no luck.
            I slowly drifted out (about 2 hours), as soon as the water level got below the grasses, I started getting hits.
            A lot of light hits, 2-3 rod benders, and finally a hookup. I thought for sure it was a SH the way it fought, ended up being a 5# catfish.
            Exited the creek and found the gals about a mile down river, they had OK luck crabbing, being the 1st time out of a kayak. And they did get a few catfish under piers.
            We pulled off the water a sunset.
            It is nice having a kayak launch at the end of our road, The Pax is beautiful, when you get back in the creeks it is like you left civilization and are in a whole other world,, but the Pax sucks for fishing

DSCN2684.jpg.
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
            X