Kayak vs micro skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak vs micro skiff

A while back I was looking at 2 person pedal kayaks for my wife and sister to use in the tidal waters we like around.
    My search has progressed to 2 person capable micro skiffs, I found the "H Skiff" which looks perfect but is way over priced.
    H Skiff.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXHK6N77lGc

I know this is a kayak forum,, but honestly, this is no less of a kayak than the PA 14s with 20 GPS position holding motors I have seen in the "Kayak" tournys.

Just curious if anyone here has a micro skiff or large powered paddle board ?
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

A few weeks ago, I was inches away from picking up a micro skiff on the local market place. It was a crazy deal, $500-600. I asked the guy why he was selling it, and said he had only ended up using it once or twice, because it really wasn’t for up here. I kind of dismissed what he said, thinking he was inexperienced, and the deal was so great. But then I did a little more research before I picked it up, and read a lot of people saying the same thing. It’s more of a Florida, nice day, in the mangroves hunting snook kind of craft. A lot of NE guys, get lured in and buy one, only to sell it after few wet rides. I can’t even imagine a two person model. You may be better off with a jon boat.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Yak fish would be a good person to ask. He has a Solo Skiff and yaks

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        Yak fish would be a good person to ask. He has a Solo Skiff and yaks
        Yes, I have a Solo Skiff. It is incredible!
        I have it rigged up with a 6 hp gas motor and a Torqeedo. So it basically fishes like a kayak but gets there like a boat.
        The downside is that it is a bit heavy, and that that shows when loading and unloading. However, I've figured out ways to deal with that. Once it's on the water, it's really pretty perfect.
        I have a Hobie Outback as well and I will favor one over the other in certain situations, but I find myself using the Solo a bit more.

I can answer whatever questions you may have, but I'll leave you with a video I shot while striper fishing. I've got several on that page, but I think that one captures it pretty well.
        https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2067967003470549

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Thanks for the info and video.
          I would not be in the bay, 90% of the use would be the middle Patuxent river.
          We have a kayak launch at the end of our road, We have 3 other soft launches within 15 minutes.
          A true "Boat ramp is 30+ minutes away. so we sold our 16 Mako CC as we never use it, and have been dropping the yaks in at the kayak launch at the end of our road.

Problem is "traveling" too were we want to fish or crab, the tide is a killer. we can once in a blue moon "time the tide".

When we go out it is Me, my wife and her sister. they always stay together while I paddle up a tidal creek chasing non existent fish

A 2 person micro skiff would be perfect, they could tow me in my kayak to the area we are going to fish, then I could paddle up a creek, cast fishing as they do their "bait-n-wait" in the skiff.

ONLY problem is finding a 2 person micro skiff the weighs under 100 lbs with out the motor, so we can carry it down the kayak launch ramp.

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          Yes, I have a Solo Skiff. It is incredible!
          I have it rigged up with a 6 hp gas motor and a Torqeedo. So it basically fishes like a kayak but gets there like a boat.
          The downside is that it is a bit heavy, and that that shows when loading and unloading. However, I've figured out ways to deal with that. Once it's on the water, it's really pretty perfect.
          I have a Hobie Outback as well and I will favor one over the other in certain situations, but I find myself using the Solo a bit more.

I can answer whatever questions you may have, but I'll leave you with a video I shot while striper fishing. I've got several on that page, but I think that one captures it pretty well.
          https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2067967003470549
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Another small boat to consider is a 13' Gheenoe. http://www.gheenoe.net/thirteenft.html

I crabbed and fished from one of these in the late 1980s with 4-hp outboard. I usually kept it in a waterfront shed on the eastern shore, but occasional would cartop it. They are not as snazzy looking as the Solo Skiffs, but they are lighter in weight and have a greater weight capacity. If you have an SUV or pickup, you can put the Gheenoe in the back for a short drive to your kayak launch or could pull it on a cart or dolly.

scan0003.jpg
            Last edited by J.A. Veil; 07-13-2020, 06:54 AM.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I must admit I've been intrigued by the micro skiff concept and the "Florida flats" boat concept. I'm on the Potomac side of St. Mary's County and it's very tempting. Check out this article: https://www.sportfishingmag.com/fish...t-microskiffs/
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

East Cape also recently announced a Skanu and there's a company in Florida called Caiman Boats you may want to check out. Personally, I've also been looking at Chesapeake Light Craft's Peeler Skiff, but I'm a big dreamer.
                Tight lines
                Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

My problem is: If the hull weighs more than about 100# I have gained nothing.
                  I have a kayak launch 3 minutes from me (end of the street), and 3 more in 15 minutes.
                  The closest "Boat ramp" is 30 minutes.

So if I cant carry it 20' and put it in the bed of a full size truck (2 adults) , I may as well get a "boat".

All the kayak launches are constructed where as you have to carry it aver a guard rail.

Still reviewing my options, super stable, individual kayaks with elec motors may be the best option for us.
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                    My problem is: If the hull weighs more than about 100# I have gained nothing.
                    I have a kayak launch 3 minutes from me (end of the street), and 3 more in 15 minutes.
                    The closest "Boat ramp" is 30 minutes.

So if I cant carry it 20' and put it in the bed of a full size truck (2 adults) , I may as well get a "boat".

All the kayak launches are constructed where as you have to carry it aver a guard rail.

Still reviewing my options, super stable, individual kayaks with elec motors may be the best option for us.
                    I really doubt you'll find a hull less than 100 pounds. Heck, my Hobie Outback hull is 80 pounds. The solo skiff is about 150 pounds plus a 65 pound motor. The hull needs to be heavier because the speed is greater and needs to be reinforced. If you don't have a hard launch, I think you're right that you'd need an extra person to help you carry it down to the water. That could get old.

As far as towing your kayak, you won't go that fast. Your kayak hull is a displacement hull and they can only really achieve so much speed. You could get 6-7mph at best, and probably less if you were being towed. You may be better served just to get a Torqeedo and achieve the same speeds. I tried towing a kayak on my solo and it really bogged me down. Just some food for thought.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Yeah, I am finding even the lighter micro skiffs are 140# Hull weight.
                      My Coosa HD is closing in on 90#,, I have got it off the truck, over the guard rail, and down the launch by myself, but not something I want to do often.
                      My Wife and I are comfortable lifting 70-90# yaks out of the truck and launching them, And I have to look 10 years out,, so looks like we will narrow our search back too ultra stable solo kayaks, and spend the money on ultra efficient electric propulsion.
                      We only need 3-4 mph top speed, and even if we really wandered, a run time of 3 hours or so.
                      I am finishing up the elec motor mount on my Coosa HD, using a cheaper brushed minn kota and SLA battery,, If the concept is what I want and fits what we need, I will invest in a brushless motor, Lith Iron battery, etc,, and get her a more stable kayak and out fit it with a motor. She is currently paddeling a Jackson Cuda 12, But at 31" wide, not nearly as stable as my 34" wide Coosa HD. Looking at Feel Free Lure 11.5,,, if they ever come back in stock.

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      I really doubt you'll find a hull less than 100 pounds. Heck, my Hobie Outback hull is 80 pounds. The solo skiff is about 150 pounds plus a 65 pound motor. The hull needs to be heavier because the speed is greater and needs to be reinforced. If you don't have a hard launch, I think you're right that you'd need an extra person to help you carry it down to the water. That could get old.

As far as towing your kayak, you won't go that fast. Your kayak hull is a displacement hull and they can only really achieve so much speed. You could get 6-7mph at best, and probably less if you were being towed. You may be better served just to get a Torqeedo and achieve the same speeds. I tried towing a kayak on my solo and it really bogged me down. Just some food for thought.
                      1 - Mad River Canoes
                      1- Tarpon 120
                      1- Redfish 10
                      1- Coosa HD
                      2- Cuda 12
                      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

[QUOTE=J.A. Veil;168385]Another small boat to consider is a 13' Gheenoe. http://www.gheenoe.net/thirteenft.html

I crabbed and fished from one of these in the late 1980s with 4-hp outboard. I usually kept it in a waterfront shed on the eastern shore, but occasional would cartop it. They are not as snazzy looking as the Solo Skiffs, but they are lighter in weight and have a greater weight capacity. If you have an SUV or pickup, you can put the Gheenoe in the back for a short drive to your kayak launch or could pull it on a cart

As Veil said, get one of these. I had one, they are are a blast with a family. They are bulky, but I was able to load it on my Outback roof rack. In fact, when we would go for a week, I would take out the seats (20 minutes) and put it over my Revo on the Subbie roof, and the seats in the back. You couldn’t even tell the Revo was there.
                        IMG_2827.jpg
                        Last edited by summersoff; 07-14-2020, 11:29 AM.
                        Jay

10' Green Slayer
                        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

what about inflatables or a jon boat with those folding wheels on the transom?
                          -Justin

Comment

I have kinda come full circle back to kayaks,,
                            Wife and I are plenty comfortable fishing off of kayaks, especially the wider ones like my Coosa HD,, it is just getting to our spots 1/4 mile - 2 miles from our neighbor hood kayak launch.
                            So I am rigging up a trolling motor on my Cossa HD,, as a proof of concept, to see if it is something we will use and if the fishing is worth it. ($40 used trolling motor and 35AH SLA battery).
                            If it is something we like,, I will look for to used kayaks over the winter to rig up with brushless motors and Lith Iron batteries. I dont want to rig my Coosa as a tidal craft, as it is my Mountain river fishing/camp craft,, and the Cuda 12's are not as stable as I would like for an all day tidal fishing/crabbing platform.
                            I will probably look for something like a Lure 11.5 and pimp it out with lights, cup holders, radio, etc
                            1 - Mad River Canoes
                            1- Tarpon 120
                            1- Redfish 10
                            1- Coosa HD
                            2- Cuda 12
                            1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

OK,,, maybe this is the ticket?? lol
                              pimp-my-boat-7.jpg