NC, SC Georgia help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC, SC Georgia help needed

Looking for any advice on possible launches or general spot/backwater areas for a southern road trip for specks and pups. Sorry to ask such a general question but my buddy got a new yak so we switched our eight hour Northern Cape Cod Canal run to try out the new yak. Never really went south past VA beach area with the yaks, and need any wish list spots. we are planning on going as far as Georgia, about 4-5 days.

(FYI, we are planning on be responsibly safe, masks all times, bringing food, no eating out, washing hands, camping or truck)
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

There is a place called riverside campgrounds. I have stayed there. Access to pungo right there for everything from bass brim cat bowfin. Then there is several drops close for inshore flounder, red and speckled. I was on a boat but it was short runs. I do kayak the first part I mentioned. You can even most likely get to the saltier water with a pedel kayak from camp. There is also a large lake called mattamasket which is only a 45 min drive. You can catch huge crabs there as well. I also just went fishing in Swansboro and emerald isle. I gotta NC slam on my kayak which was awesome and also caught flounder almost cast after cast in the beach. Also caught shark. Overall I love NC and ton of opportunity. I also know several other locations for kayaking for bass etc in NC. Good luck with the trip. If you decide to go to NC PM me and I can let you know some launch spots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bass guy,
      Thanks fo the response. I will definitely be looking at NC. We’ll be focusing on salt but the thought of stopping at Emerald Isle is very tempting.
      Jay

10' Green Slayer
      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I fish these 2 locations at least once a year and have had good success with specks, reds and the occasional flounder.
        Pawleys Island Boat Ramp.jpgMurrells Inlet Kayak Launch.jpg

I like Pawleys Island better but watch the tides. If you paddle north towards the inlet, the current can get ripping at the usual times. You can park on the side road just behind the ramp.
        Also watch the tides at Morse park at Murrells inlet. You'll get stuck in the pluff mud at low tide. Don't have to worry about that at Pawleys Isl.

You're far enough away from the Myrtle beach craziness ~1hr.
        Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

The speck and drum fishing in the Pamlico Sound has been excellent this year. Plenty of places to camp along Hatteras Island, including a few that are sound front. There are a handful of sound side ORV ramps that are perfect for launching kayaks and will put you on productive waters. In fact, I’m heading down there for vacation next week.

Good luck!
          Tim M. Elliott
          Pasadena
          Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

Working...
          X