Butt Problems - Can it get better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butt Problems - Can it get better?

Looking for the wisdom of those who have struggled with peddling butt issues related to bursitis and arthritis. While I am fine peddling a bicycle, it seems the recumbent stair climber position using a mirage drive has generated some issues for me. I'm working on some physical therapy for this. I expect I am not alone with these problems and so I am looking for advice from others who have found solutions or not. I have a couple of slightly older siblings (I'm 55) who tell me that "our body type can't do that." Last summer, I was peddling my Compass several hours a day and probably at least 3 or 4 days per week. The bursitis pain took until mid-winter to subside after that. This spring, as soon as I started on the Compass again, the problem began again and an additional butt pain issue started. Now I've motorized the boat to stay on the water, but that sure takes the exercise our of the activity. Are any of you happily on the other side of such problems? Do I have a chance of comfortable peddling in my future or do I just go back to paddling and motoring?
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

It a solution you won’t like but I replaced my hips, fixed those issues right up. Obviously you need to be pretty far along in arthritis but if it’s limiting what you want to do it’s an option.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I sold my pedal drive kayaks because of the discomfort I had from balancing my body weight on my tail bone while pedaling for several hours and trolling. On my paddle kayaks, I use a thick gel pad made for office chairs. My older one was made by Wondergel, and the newer one was made by Purple. They don't take away all the discomfort, but they do increase the time to butt fatigue.

Sorry you are having problems. I hope you can find a solution.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I’m 69 this week. I got a Torqeedo and I can just turn on the motor when the butt gets sore, over heated, tired etc.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          I sold my pedal drive kayaks because of the discomfort I had from balancing my body weight on my tail bone while pedaling for several hours and trolling. On my paddle kayaks, I use a thick gel pad made for office chairs. My older one was made by Wondergel, and the newer one was made by Purple. They don't take away all the discomfort, but they do increase the time to butt fatigue.

Sorry you are having problems. I hope you can find a solution.

I have done the same. I also have used a very thick Wondergel pad for several years and moved to an Ultimate Purple pad that is absolutely huge and thick.
          Bill

Comment

I don't pedal but I have butt issues. I use a seat cushion called a Skwoosh.

https://skwoosh.com

I have one in the yak, in the van and in my office chair. Makes a hell of a difference.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
              I’m 69 this week. I got a Torqeedo and I can just turn on the motor when the butt gets sore, over heated, tired etc.
              I've added a Bixpy motor. Part of my problem is that I often drive a little over three hours to fish and the discomfort on the drive home is really bad even if I can tolerate a bit of peddling. I appreciated the recent thread about every trip being a road trip, but I'm certain I have most beat in that regard. I had been driving 3 hours to the bay from central PA to troll for stripers quite a bit the last few years. Between COVID and the health of the striper population, I started looking for other similar experiences in other directions. I very happily have found that I can troll pretty similarly in Lake Erie for Walleye and they were pretty near shore until this week. I just really have to keep an eye on the wind forecast up there.
              Bill

Comment

I'm very fortunate. No bottom discomfort either pedaling or paddling and last week I officially got closer to 70 and than 60.

However, I have had my legs cramp up, even while paddling -- charlie horse pain. I think it's heat related because it never happens in cooler weather. Normally a brief period of stretching my legs in my kayaks ends the pain. On rare occasions I have returned to shore to walk it off.

Good luck to you, Bill. I hope you find the answer.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Drink more water or water with electrolyte. That usually fixes leg cramps for me.
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                    Drink more water or water with electrolyte. That usually fixes leg cramps for me.
                    Thank you!
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My butt pain went away with the new hobie seat. The old style was awful sitting on plastic with 3" of water. I hope you find something that works for you!

As for the cramps, try coconut water. It has more potassium than a banana and none of the stigma.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I can concur, new seat can be life changing. Also, I am quite a bit younger but do a lot of enduraance sports that depend on hip mobility. When starting out it was almost unbearable. Doing a couple yoga sessions each week had dramatic effects.....yoga has way more stigma than coconut water though!
                        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I don't peddle and am motorized due to several pain related issues. My seat is comfortable but at 72 I have found for longer periods past 4-5 hrs I needed more than what my seat has to offer. Initially I started with a Swoosh but after awhile the gel traveled between the cushions not leaving padding where i needed it so I tossed it. I picked up A comfilite Cushion and now even up to 9 hrs I dont feel the pain. So that one is working well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by kanvery View Post
                            I can concur, new seat can be life changing. Also, I am quite a bit younger but do a lot of enduraance sports that depend on hip mobility. When starting out it was almost unbearable. Doing a couple yoga sessions each week had dramatic effects.....yoga has way more stigma than coconut water though!
                            When in Rome? Good to hear you are doing well! Give our best to Jasmine!
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

If you’re a biker, you already know how important a slight change in the fit can cause major comfort or problems. Only a cm up/down/back/forward can mean a day of pain or the ability to ride for hours. I think I sometimes overlook that when I kayak. When I got my Revo, I think I got lucky because I basically just jumped in and started peddling with no discomfort. But newer yaks, have so many bells and whistles that they need to be adjusted properly, almost similar to a bike fit. When I got a Slayer which has a more traditional cycling stroke, as compared to my old leg press motion of my Revo, I thought I would enjoy it more, because I do a good bit of cycling. Unfortunately, I quickly was in pain and discomfort. I know the slayer is a great yak, and I love the reverse, but I have to do some serious adjustments to dial it in before the pain in my knee and hip are eliminated.
                              Jay

10' Green Slayer
                              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
                              X