Bow "fishing" (AKA spot lighting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Unlimited migratory geese, as many as you want.....
    I could get behind this part.... kinda. I very well may be mistaken, but I could've sworn I've read somewhere that non-migratory Canadian geese are considered an invasive species in Maryland. What prevents the state from doing anything are the federal laws protecting migratory bird species which dont account for non-mogratory birds of the same species. I can remember any pond or lake that Ive been to in the past 5 years that isnt surrounded by 2 inches of goose excrement and signs saying dont touch the water because it has toxic algae due to all the goose poo run-off.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

"Resident geese" have a bag limit of 5-7 per day, while migratory is 1-2 (it varies year to year)
      Since it is hard to check an ID prior to shooting,, anything west of RT 301 is "resident"

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
      I could get behind this part.... kinda. I very well may be mistaken, but I could've sworn I've read somewhere that non-migratory Canadian geese are considered an invasive species in Maryland. What prevents the state from doing anything are the federal laws protecting migratory bird species which dont account for non-mogratory birds of the same species. I can remember any pond or lake that Ive been to in the past 5 years that isnt surrounded by 2 inches of goose excrement and signs saying dont touch the water because it has toxic algae due to all the goose poo run-off.
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

It's certainly not sport. There is nothing sporting about shooting an immobilized animal at short range. I believe the purpose of the bowhunters is not personal consumption. It can't be. No one person can eat that many fish. Nor do most individuals have the freezer capacity for that many fish slaughtered in one outing. I believe the majority of those fish wind up in fish markets or are direct sales to restaurants.

At this point, the MD DNR sees no problem. In fact, it offers an annual snakehead bowhunting license for a mere $15. At some point, the state may conclude that snakeheads have higher revenue potential as a game species or jointly as a game/commercial harvest species like striped bass. Only if that happens will snakeheads be protected from wanton killing.

On the other hand, MD's designation of them as an invasive species and its efforts to eradicate them with no seasonal or quantity limits for anglers has done nothing to stop the spread of snakeheads. Where the Potomac was once their primary domain, they are now found north to south in rivers and creeks on both sides of the Chesapeake. They are even being caught by crabbers in their traps in the mid-Bay.

They are here to stay. It seems to me the state should recognize that and manage them appropriately for the economic value they hold and stop treating them as an unwanted nuisance.
        Last edited by Mark; 07-29-2020, 11:15 PM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Not entirely related to the thread (most of the discussion has already been done) but the discussion got me thinking. One thing that I hear all too often while SH or bass fishing is talking to an angler who said they caught some SH that day but just killed them and threw them on the bank somewhere and I'm just sitting there thinking "what a waste".
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
            Not entirely related to the thread (most of the discussion has already been done) but the discussion got me thinking. One thing that I hear all too often while SH or bass fishing is talking to an angler who said they caught some SH that day but just killed them and threw them on the bank somewhere and I'm just sitting there thinking "what a waste".
            None of us who fish recreationally are free from inflicting some level of discomfort to the species we chase. It cannot be pleasant to be yanked from your environment after being impaled by a hook. As we've recently learned, even well-intentioned C&R leads to mortality of striped bass in certain conditions. Many here armed with that knowledge have altered their striper fishing this year even beyond what is required by new regulations. They are to be commended.

What you describe above is indeed a waste. I'm sorry to say that those people count themselves among us as anglers. Lots of descriptions come to my mind as to what they are. But they're certainly not sportsmen in my eyes.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I hope they ban it.
              Native Slayer 12
              Native Ultimate

Comment

I have preached making snakeheads a game fish but recently I’m beginning to change my mind. These fish populating areas at an alarming rate. I saw Alan’s video on snakehead fishing and it seems like he could see and get hits on a bunch of snakeheads but not 1 bass. I’m beginning to think we will have to start targeting fry balls with nets to control the population.

Comment

I am experiencing the opposite,
                  In the Pax where I could in previous years catch SH, this year I am ONLY catching LMB and cat fish

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                  I have preached making snakeheads a game fish but recently I’m beginning to change my mind. These fish populating areas at an alarming rate. I saw Alan’s video on snakehead fishing and it seems like he could see and get hits on a bunch of snakeheads but not 1 bass. I’m beginning to think we will have to start targeting fry balls with nets to control the population.
                  Captian of the plastic Navy
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

I hit Mattawoman at Slavins last week...I kayaked around for quite some time....Not a single SH...I did see tons of bass and bluegill....tons...I posted it on the SH thread on FB...and commented that there were indeed no SH down there, because the media has assured me that if they are...nothing else will exist. I got a few laughs and some pictures of large SH that were caught there. I myself have only caught one from there. I haven't seen too many generator boats this year...maybe the Rona has kept them down. It isn't uncommon to see discarded cats, carp and gar on the banks though that have been shot and left. Normally right at the launch, like the next person will come along and think "what a hero the previous guy was." I don't understand that mindset. Farmington Landing is bad for this type of behavior.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Stand Up Paddle Board
                    Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                    X