Your go-to paddletail rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your go-to paddletail rod?

I picked up a couple of smaller stradic FL’s (3k and 4K)and looking to match them with new rods. When I do a search for possible candidates, I feel the web searches are so top heavy for St. Croix’s that I may be missing out on other companies or more Southern red rods that may be missing the Google cut. Don’t get me wrong I have a premiers to legends, but I’m wondering what others are using to sling paddle tails.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

G.Loomis Pro Green or E6X Inshore

I know people love their St. Croix's, but they just arent made for me. Rod breaks and poor casting are the main two detractors that come to mind. I would easily admit its me, but I dont have any issues with identically rated rods from other manufacturers both cheaper and more expensive.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

St. Croix, 7’ med head fast for spinner
      St. Croix, 6’ 8” med extra fast for caster

St. Croix has been good to me. Only rod that gave me a problem was the one that I fished with for 16 years after it was half burned up in a house fire. Sanded and whittled the burnt char off it and ran that rascal up till this year. Fire was like 2004

Comment

I have an older 7 ft. medium duty Bass Pro Bionic Blade graphite fast action spinning rod that I use for casting paddletails. I say older because the handle is cork and I see by looking online that Bionic Blade handles are not cork anymore. Mine also isn't 7 ft. anymore. I had 4 inches removed from the handle by a rod repairer so that it was easier to cast in my kayaks. The long handle was getting in my way as I cast while sitting.

It was only $79 then as it still is now. It has held up very well for years in tidal waters. It's incredibly lightweight, casts a 1/8 oz. paddletail very far and handles everything I have caught with it including large channel cats and stripers. I've caught both species over 25 inches with the Bionic Blade that have bent the rod into a U-shape. No breaks.

I also like St. Croix Triumph rods. I carry two for perch on most tidal outings. They cost $20 to $30 more than the Bass Pro rod but I've noticed no difference in performance and longevity between them and the less expensive Bionic Blade -- even when I've tangled with unexpected striper or channel cat while perch fishing.

If I was in the market for new paddletail spinning rods today, I wouldn't stress over the big maker name brands. I think once you get to a certain a certain price point say near $80, it's hard to go wrong in finding a serviceable store brand from Cabelas or Bass Pro for kayak fishing. I'd pick what's comfortable in my hand, mindful of the handle length. I'd look for a medium duty lightweight (in oz.) rod with a fast action tip at least 6.5 feet in length to make long casts. It should also have at least one more line guide than its overall length in feet for the best line management and proper loading of the rod under stress.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Shimano Teramar SE Medium 7’ it is tough as nails and does it all...got two and they have caught a ton of fish...I just put together a new 2500 Stradic FL that I paired with a Duckett Inshore 7’ medium light...rod is really stiff to be rated as medium light, but it has performed well and is extremely light in your hand casting a bunch...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Where did you find the 3000? I just picked up a 4000 but couldn’t find anything lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X