Fishing near the USNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing near the USNA

My home waters are the Severn River and its many creeks and tidal ponds. With the heavy storms last evening, I was not sure what type of water quality I might find today. I opted to fish in a tidal pond that has relatively little stormwater input. The water level was high and pretty clean. The fish were biting well, and wildlife (blue herons, green herons, snowy egrets, ducks, ospreys, and swimming muskrats) were around to share the pond with me. I quickly caught perch and stripers. It took half an hour to catch my first pickerel to complete the Severn Slam. I had a hungry blue crab grab my white paddletail so tightly that it took some effort to get the crab to let go on my kayak.

Annapolis is home to the U.S. Naval Academy, which has extensive waterfront in the lower Severn. I launched today about 7:45. About 8:00, I could hear this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHNsXE5CnvI being played over loudspeakers. It was followed by the National Anthem as part of the Morning Colors ceremony. For the next hour, I could hear a lot of gunfire, presumably from the mids doing firearms training at a range. In the past, I have been in the river across from the USNA and saw (and dodged) numerous large YP (yard patrol) boats in the rivers as the students practiced boat handling. On other mornings I have been nearly run over by the rapidly moving USNA crew teams. Their coaches are riding along side in power boats yelling at the rowers through a megaphone. Fishing in the Severn brings me many reminders of the presence of the USNA, which makes the Severn a rather unique environment. I feel fortunate to have such an interesting and productive fishery nearby.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

The USNA does indeed provide a very interesting setting for us as kayak anglers.

I too have heard reveille and the national anthem played while I was fishing.

I've watched the plebes undergo tortuous exercises on the athletic field -- literally running as a group while carrying telephone poles.

Once I was saw a fleet of middies paddling rubber rafts across the Severn in an amphibious assault drill. A drill team member was on the shore with a megaphone shouting "stroke, stroke". I was the one stroking like crazy to get out of their way!

I've been honked at by YP boats.

And then there are speeding crew teams paddling between the bridges and beyond. Stay out of their way too.

The academy does make Severn fishing interesting.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

When they did more sailing activities, navigating past the, mostly out of control, sailboats was a real challenge.

I never venture near ANP on summer weekends, I'm too old for the kind of shocks you get from the local boating community when they take to the water.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I actually have been run over by one of the USNA crew boats. They hit me from behind (I didn't even know they were coming until I turned around and they were about 2 boat lengths behind me) and they didn't even stop! Nor did the the four boats that followed them as I was waving and calling to them. It wasn't until I started blowing my emergency whistle and waving emphatically at the coach boats that I managed to get them to stop. The crew boat had snapped two of my fishing rods (one was a St. Croix) and I was livid at the situation. At first the assistant coach just said he's really sorry about that and I said, no, sorry won't replace these fishing rods. I sent them the model numbers and Bass Pro links to the broken rods and the head coach mailed me a check from his personal bank account to cover replacement costs, so everything was resolved in the end.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I would say they were pretty focused on what they were doing.
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Dave,

That was a close call. They fly for sure. Glad you weren’t hurt and the compensated you for your damages.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

being under the bridge when the blue angels are performing is breathtaking. i met u at sandy point state park when i just bought my pa12. u walked up and introduced yourself and told me about snaggedline.com. being new to kayak fishing this site has been a blessing. i purchased your book which led me to other books. good read for anyone learning the ropes. at the park u gave me a handful of paddle tales lures. which after 3 years i still have , lost 2. amazing how long they last. thanks Bill

Comment

Working...
              X