Rotomolded vs thermoformed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotomolded vs thermoformed

Something I would have never, ever have looked at or considered until recently,, Thermoformed kayaks.
    Many (most) of the kayak launches near me require lifting and carrying the kayak of a multitude of county installed obstacles.

I have always view the thermoformed kayaks as fragile, cheap big box store kayaks.
    But I do see Hobie and a few other manufactures offer them, typ at a weight savings of 20-30 pounds,, that could make a difference in a few to 10 years.

Is my instincts correct and thermoformed kayaks are junk?
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Junk is a harsh word.

Thermoformed kayaks have their place. They may not stand the hard use I've seen many rotomolded kayak anglers subject their boats to -- like dragging them on their stern up a concrete ramp, knocking them into bridge pilings, crashing them into landings, etc. But they are good lightweight boats.

https://eddyline.com/technology-inno...d-on-the-block

Indeed, lightweight is good, especially as you get near or pass Medicare age.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hurricane was the leader in thermoforming plastic boats...their claim was as strong but lighter...being a natural doubter, logic seems to say a thinner hull is more subject to flexing...flexing causes weakness in the flex...hull failures...as new stronger materials are developed, maybe this can be overcome, but not with today’s plastic materials used in the hull construction of our kayaks...Kinda like buying inflatable kayaks for portability, back packability for specific purposes...since I am pretty much set for my foreseeable future, this is all academic...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron/Mark,
        Thanks for your insights.
        Wife and I are in the market for "Tidal fishing" kayaks, peddle or motor drive.
        My Coosa HD at 90# is about as heavy as we want to go.

We beat the snot out of our Coosa and Cudas on the Doah, Smokehole and other smallmouth rivers,, so far the most abuse our boats get on the tidal water is the obstacle course the county calls a kayak launch.

Maybe I quick to judge the thermoformed kayaks,, maybe I stop in Annapolis Canoe and talk to them, they are a pelican dealer.
        But I am concerned, as this will be a "One and Done" purchase and looking for quality to last 10-20 years.
        1 - Mad River Canoes
        1- Tarpon 120
        1- Redfish 10
        1- Coosa HD
        2- Cuda 12
        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Don't forget that the type of plastic used can also be a factor, potentially bigger than the construction style. From what I've been told, thermoformed kayaks generally use slightly higher quality plastics to offset the thinner hull.

Also as an aside it did make me chuckle to see the captain of the plastic Navy debate this . N+1!
          -Justin

Comment

If weight is a factor....like it is for me because I car top my kayaks I would loom into a hobie revo 13 or a compass. I just sold my slayer propel 13 (89lbs) for a revo 13 (70lbs) while the revo doesn't give me standing stability it beats having to load big bertha as I called her onto a roof. Even at 32 I almost threw my back out loading the slayer on the roof. I like the look of the large pedal kayaks but I think 75lbs is my limit for what I want to really have to throw up there.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
            Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

FishMoken,

I have quite a few years on you and I've been cartopping a Revo 13 onto a Sienna van which is taller than a regular sedan. Indeed, it is getting hard to do and I am concerned about injury. But, that is about to end. I recently bought what I fondly call my new kayak cart -- a Tacoma pickup. However, I have been waiting for a Yakima bed extender which has been back ordered for over a month. It's true that certain outdoor items are hard to get at the moment. I've been carrying my Ultimates in the new truck but I'd prefer to have the added support of the extender for the Revo which is longer than the Ultimates.

You mentioned not being able to stand in a Revo. That is certainly true. I would not chance it. However, its slender beam has advantages. The first is speed. The Revo flies with an easy pedaling cadence. The second is that it is surprisingly seaworthy. It cuts through waves very well and maintains its stability even on broadside hits. (I do always keep the seat in the lowest position.) Third, its narrow beam makes it easy for me with my 32 inch sleeves to grasp it at the center line via its handles for lifting. I think I would have a hard time lifting even a lighter kayak with a wider beam if I could not easily reach the handles.

To the point of this thread -- The ability to lift a kayak depends on more than its weight. Its width is also a factor.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark,
                Mid 50's here.
                When the wife, SIL, and I go out (kayaking) we take the F350 Crewcab, dually, 8' bed. I have had 7 kayaks in that truck.
                That said, it is a pain to park at many (most) of the small kayak launches we use and way overkill.

I plan to do a LOT more quick, local, solo outings starting next season. So I am thinking about a smaller truck.
                Glanced around at used tacos,, searched for 3rd gen, long bed, access cab, 4x4, manual trans.
                wanna guess how many I found with a 500 mile search range?? Zero

Did you get the longer bed Taco??

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                FishMoken,

I have quite a few years on you and I've been cartopping a Revo 13 onto a Sienna van which is taller than a regular sedan. Indeed, it is getting hard to do and I am concerned about injury. But, that is about to end. I recently bought what I fondly call my new kayak cart -- a Tacoma pickup. However, I have been waiting for a Yakima bed extender which has been back ordered for over a month. It's true that certain outdoor items are hard to get at the moment. I've been carrying my Ultimates in the new truck but I'd prefer to have the added support of the extender for the Revo which is longer than the Ultimates.

You mentioned not being able to stand in a Revo. That is certainly true. I would not chance it. However, its slender beam has advantages. The first is speed. The Revo flies with an easy pedaling cadence. The second is that it is surprisingly seaworthy. It cuts through waves very well and maintains its stability even on broadside hits. (I do always keep the seat in the lowest position.) Third, its narrow beam makes it easy for me with my 32 inch sleeves to grasp it at the center line via its handles for lifting. I think I would have a hard time lifting even a lighter kayak with a wider beam if I could not easily reach the handles.

To the point of this thread -- The ability to lift a kayak depends on more than its weight. Its width is also a factor.
                1 - Mad River Canoes
                1- Tarpon 120
                1- Redfish 10
                1- Coosa HD
                2- Cuda 12
                1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

It's a 6 foot bed, Slackdaddy.

You're correct, they're hard to find used. And they hold their value well. I looked all winter online. As the pandemic continued the already limited supply decreased and prices on used trucks increased. Econ 101 at work.

I finally bought a new one. It was actually cheaper than a used one similarly equipped due to Toyota's incentives.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    FishMoken,

Mark,,

I bought a Tacoma last summer, and combined it with one of the goal post bed extenders for my Revo. It's a game changer! Very east and fast to load/unload. When my wife goes with me, I lay her Ascend on the side and strap them both together - very secure. I have a Tacoma with a full extended cab and full size bed, but I still needed the bed extender, as I was not comfortable with the length of the kayak that was hanging over the tailgate.

https://www.amazon.com/7BLACKSMITH-A...9827468&sr=8-3
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

belairfishing,

That's encouraging.

After seeing many kayakers at launches use pickups for carrying their boats, I decided to do the same.

I have enjoyed the ease of loading my Ultimates on the bed of my Tacoma as opposed to cartopping them on the Sienna.

But I miss the ample space for secure storage of my gear in the Sienna.

Like the differences in our various kayaks, there are tradeoffs even in transporting them.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

I have always used a full size truck to transport our kayaks, but the days of hauling 7 kayaks/canoes are over (kids are grown and gone)
                        The white F250 extra cab was one thing, but the crew cab dually is a pain to fit in small, crowded launches.
                        My oldest son has an Xterra that we welded up a custom rack, but he is 18 and a body builder.

I will be looking for a small truck to haul mine solo or occasionally with my wifes.

IMGP1739sm.jpg

DSCN4296.jpg
                        1 - Mad River Canoes
                        1- Tarpon 120
                        1- Redfish 10
                        1- Coosa HD
                        2- Cuda 12
                        1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I have a 2011 Taco with six foot bed. I carry my 14 foot Trident in it with no problem. I just have a net that goes around the bow and it secures to the upper part of the bed rails. This creates a up pressure which keeps the yak from sagging. Works great.

The reason Tacos are so hard to find is that they are the most modified off road 4 wheel vehicles going. The young kids pick them up, double the horse power and trick out the running gear and go have off road fun.
                          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                          X