Slower Lower Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower Lower Report

SMOG crew hit the water in staggered times today with Big Mike and Gary being the “Dawn Patrol” and me the clean up hitter. After a week of storms and flash floods, trillions of gallons of fresh water...we didn’t know what to expect, but one thing we did expect was cooler water- 78.9 degrees water temperatures today. You are used to lots of success in these reports but I won’t sugar coat it- the fishing today was off...we didn’t get skunked but it was very slow... the weather was spectacular...ocean was flat...lots of bait, but the fish were not very cooperative. Any day on the water beats one off the water.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

As someone who has little experience in "salt water" fishing, I was curious about all the fresh water coming into the Bay and tributaries.
    We (Wife, SIL and I) have moved are fishing/crabbing down from The Lower Marlboro area of the Pax, to rt 231 - Brooms Isl.

Kayak fished PL once about 3 years ago,,, no luck (
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

A buddy and I fished Piney Point from 230pm until the storms chased us in at 630pm yesterday. Very slow day I caught five perch in total, mostly smaller. My buddy managed two perch and two rock-10" & 15".
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        SMOG crew hit the water in staggered times today with Big Mike and Gary being the “Dawn Patrol” and me the clean up hitter. After a week of storms and flash floods, trillions of gallons of fresh water...we didn’t know what to expect, but one thing we did expect was cooler water- 78.9 degrees water temperatures today. You are used to lots of success in these reports but I won’t sugar coat it- the fishing today was off...we didn’t get skunked but it was very slow... the weather was spectacular...ocean was flat...lots of bait, but the fish were not very cooperative. Any day on the water beats one off the water.
        Quick note to say that I really enjoy and appreciate your posts. They are informative and I've been able glean broader strategies and specific tips. Same to many of the regular posters on this forum. Hoping to have new info to share in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ron,

I've noticed on the forum that reports often follow a pattern. Yesterday we had bluebird skies and low wind. It was a beautiful day to be on the water. I don't know what the barometer was reading but here you were in tidal water in Southern MD and you had a less than stellar day. John Rentch and I struggled in an Eastern Shore mud puddle. I know another person who didn't do well yesterday in a trib of the Patapsco.

When fishing is good, it seems to be good everywhere in the general vicinity. When it's tough, so the trend goes elsewhere nearby. There's so much to this hobby that we do not understand. I'm just glad it's a hobby for me and not a livelihood.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Ron,

I've noticed on the forum that reports often follow a pattern. Yesterday we had bluebird skies and low wind. It was a beautiful day to be on the water. I don't know what the barometer was reading but here you were in tidal water in Southern MD and you had a less than stellar day. John Rentch and I struggled in an Eastern Shore mud puddle. I know another person who didn't do well yesterday in a trib of the Patapsco.

When fishing is good, it seems to be good everywhere in the general vicinity. When it's tough, so the trend goes elsewhere nearby. There's so much to this hobby that we do not understand. I'm just glad it's a hobby for me and not a livelihood.
            Mark,

I was crabbing with a buddy off his boat yesterday in the Magothy River. We brought home a bushel, and caught a bunch of white perch also. One thing I did notice was the flood high tide was VERY high, and slack low was VERY low. Did your friend mention extreme tides where off the Patapsco?
            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
            2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Bodkin Creek and yes he mentioned a very low tide.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X