North Beach area report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Beach area report

I launched early morning on Monday, 8/17, in hopes of catching bluefish and Spanish Mackerel. Without having specific locations to target, I trolled metal spoons and crankbaits at relatively fast speeds based on advice from previous postings that these fish tend to go after faster retrieve speeds. I trolled for a solid 3 hours and caught none of the targets but plenty of rockfish. I released all of them quickly in the water without handling them so as to avoid any potential penalties. I did my best to follow the regulations but found it very difficult to do so. Are there any additional suggestions/strategies to target these species while avoiding rockfish?

Avoid trolling. Cast only, and look for birds. That's tough business in a yak, but there it is. Cast epoxy jigs, Sting Silvers and small Hopkins jigs, and reel as fast as you can. You can outrun stripers by doing this, in my experience. Others may differ, but this has worked for me here in MD waters, as well as in NC.

Catch 'em up!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

It has been ~8 years or so since I have fished the bay off, and only fished it once.
      But I remember it was WAY off shore, like a mile or more until the water depth dropped off.
      Launched at sunrise to wind free, glassy water, played heck trying to paddle a canoe and 2 kayaks back in wind and chop.
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Thank you for your advice regarding trolling. I was looking for birds but they were few and far between. Maybe just one of those days. Luckily water conditions were very nice and made for a great day to be on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
          It has been ~8 years or so since I have fished the bay off, and only fished it once.
          But I remember it was WAY off shore, like a mile or more until the water depth dropped off.
          Launched at sunrise to wind free, glassy water, played heck trying to paddle a canoe and 2 kayaks back in wind and chop.
          Lucky the wind apps recommended by multiple people on this board have served me well. The apps have proven to be accurate most of the time. I have been surprised by an occasional isolated storm that goes against the forecast. Those have not been fun.

Comment

Windfinder.

https://www.windfinder.com/#3/52.5170/13.4000
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
              I've used that one too. I tend to use Sailflow. Don't think it is any better than others but i guess I'm a creature of habit. Are there specific features of Windfinder that you particularly like?

Comment

Jim gives you the best advice...if you are catching bluefish, you are reeling too slow...I like using a 3/8 Oz. or 1/2 Oz Kastmaster metal jig lure...caught two nice Spanish Mackerel from my kayak using these... hooked and lost several more...I have a slightly different retrieve...cast count to five crank like mad...stop count to five crank like mad...but Jim is exactly right- try to find breaking fish or big schools of bait...I have started using five inches of 27# test tobacco color wire to prevent the teeth of bluefish and Spanish Mackerel from biting off the lures...After losing lures...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McFalls View Post
                  Avoid trolling. Cast only, and look for birds. That's tough business in a yak, but there it is. Cast epoxy jigs, Sting Silvers and small Hopkins jigs, and reel as fast as you can. You can outrun stripers by doing this, in my experience. Others may differ, but this has worked for me here in MD waters, as well as in NC.

Catch 'em up!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
                  Exactly. Unless you have motorized propulsion on your kayak, there is no way anybody can sustain the speeds need to troll for mackerel and avoid stripers.

Otherwise, go to the beach and fish in the ocean. Striper season is still open in the coastal areas - not that there are many stripers over here this time of year anyway - and the ocean is usually full of bluefish and mackerel this time of year.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    Jim gives you the best advice...if you are catching bluefish, you are reeling too slow...I like using a 3/8 Oz. or 1/2 Oz Kastmaster metal jig lure...caught two nice Spanish Mackerel from my kayak using these... hooked and lost several more...I have a slightly different retrieve...cast count to five crank like mad...stop count to five crank like mad...but Jim is exactly right- try to find breaking fish or big schools of bait...I have started using five inches of 27# test tobacco color wire to prevent the teeth of bluefish and Spanish Mackerel from biting off the lures...After losing lures...
                    Thank you for the advice. I have several kastmasters that I use at the beach. Will try them from my kayak on my next outing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                      Exactly. Unless you have motorized propulsion on your kayak, there is no way anybody can sustain the speeds need to troll for mackerel and avoid stripers.

Otherwise, go to the beach and fish in the ocean. Striper season is still open in the coastal areas - not that there are many stripers over here this time of year anyway - and the ocean is usually full of bluefish and mackerel this time of year.
                      Got it. Makes a lot of sense about trolling not being an effective strategy for bluefish and Spanish Mackerel. Hope the birds will give me some help in the future. Without specific spots in mind, blind casting could make for a long day... Still better to be out on the water than not.

Comment

Not particularly. It was shown to me years ago and I just keep using it.
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

Any surf fishing spots for bluefish/mackerel away from swimmers in your area you'd recommend. Was debating hitting Delaware beaches next couple weeks.
                          Thank you.

mike
                          Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Cape Helopen has always been a great spot to fish. You can fish off your yak or off the surf. Tog, flounder and bluefish can be caught from that area.
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                              Cape Helopen has always been a great spot to fish. You can fish off your yak or off the surf. Tog, flounder and bluefish can be caught from that area.
                              Thanks! I've always wanted to try there. Love fishing from my kayak but got a surf fishing itch. Plus, I've been practice casting a new Daiwa M7HTMAG ST surf reel into a field throughout the lockdown. Would be nice to toss something into water!
                              Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Working...
                              X