Paddle extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle extender

So I just posted my BB Angler pro for sale which is 240cm. I purchased a nucanoe frontier and now need a 280cm paddle, so I started wondering, does anyone know of an adapter or extension or made one to extend the length of a paddle?, I would keep mine if something like that exists.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You raise an interesting question. I have seen some paddles made to allow a few cm of adjustment in or out. But they were designed with that capability in mind. Bending Branches offers this feature on some of their paddles, but the extension differential is just 15 cm.

I did a quick Google search for kayak paddle extenders and found few items that were specifically made for that purpose. As I understand, the paddle you are looking to extend is a high-quality carbon shaft paddle, and you want to add 40 cm or about 16" to the length of the paddle. The extenders I did see are made from aluminum and are likely to be heavier than your existing shaft. I would worry that by adding an extender, other than one made by the original manufacturer of your paddle, you might introduce some slop and play into the paddle as you push and pull hard on it.

As I see it you have several options:

1) Use your existing paddle and modify your paddling stroke so that you lean to the left or right on each stroke so you can more easily reach the water. Although this sounds uncomfortable, I do something like that frequently when I troll rods from rod holders mounted in front of my seat. My paddle stroke gets adjusted compared to my no-rods paddle stroke). That costs nothing, unless the exaggerated leaning leads to medical attention.

2) Sell your existing paddle and buy a longer one.

3) Continue looking for some type of extender, or build something on your own to accomplish that goal. Most extenders mount in the middle of the shaft.

Good luck in finding a solution.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the reply John, I did see the few options that exist, my concern is the excess play a diy or purchased extension would create. With the height of the frontier seat combined with the the 41" width, ghe longer paddle is a must. I am quickly realizing that covid had had very far reach on everything kayak realated and tracking down a 280cm paddle is looking grim. My fear is I sell mine and then have nothing to get out on the water with. I am putting a bow mounted trolling motor but I will never go out without a backup paddle.

Comment

I'd vote new paddle. I tried a paddle extender once (aluminum, aluminum paddle) it was super heavy and ever so slightly floppier. There seems to be 280 cm paddles available online-dont know your budget but this was the first carbon one I found (30 seconds of googling so I'm not acting like this is the best deal just an example...) https://www.fishingonline.com/produc...29504103579671
        -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
          I'd vote new paddle. I tried a paddle extender once (aluminum, aluminum paddle) it was super heavy and ever so slightly floppier. There seems to be 280 cm paddles available online-dont know your budget but this was the first carbon one I found (30 seconds of googling so I'm not acting like this is the best deal just an example...) https://www.fishingonline.com/produc...29504103579671
          Yeah I think your right on getting a new paddle. The paddle you linked is a little more then I want to spend, this will be a backup paddle as I will mostly likely be using my motorguide trolling motor 95% of the time. If I was exclusively paddling I would invest in the carbon paddle like my current one.

Comment

Working...
          X