fishing patuxent river and creeks 1st time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishing patuxent river and creeks 1st time

will be vacationing 9-12 to 9-19 , rented a cottage in Lusby Md. usually rent in Scottland Md near point lookout.but no availability. Lusby is on the st leonard creek. anyone know of soft water access or ramps in that area, my cottage sits on a hill similar to homeport . thats tough on a 65 year old. hobie pa 12 is real work on a hill. also anyone know that areas fishing spots and what lures to use. i was thinking spot perch are plentiful. 1st time posting,

Welcome.
    There are 2 public launches down that way in Calvert.
    Jefferson Patterson park and Solomons boat ramp: https://www.co.cal.md.us/1260/Water-Access

Directly on St. Leonard creek is "Vera's Restaurant and Marina" They have a boat ramp, have to call for availability and pricing : https://www.verasbeachclub.net/marina

Slightly north there is a "Kayak launch" at "Nan's cove",, But I use the term "Kayak launch" loosely, You could never launch a PA12 there.

I am thinking JPP is your best bet, back up, unload about 25 yards from the beach, go park, drag/roll it to the beach.

We were killing the Perch, puppy drum, catfish on 1/8oz roadrunner jig heads with 2-3" grub tails. casting to any shoreline.
    You may find a snakehead if you get far enough up the creek.

Originally posted by goldenyearspa12 View Post
    will be vacationing 9-12 to 9-19 , rented a cottage in Lusby Md. usually rent in Scottland Md near point lookout.but no availability. Lusby is on the st leonard creek. anyone know of soft water access or ramps in that area, my cottage sits on a hill similar to homeport . thats tough on a 65 year old. hobie pa 12 is real work on a hill. also anyone know that areas fishing spots and what lures to use. i was thinking spot perch are plentiful. 1st time posting,
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Sounds like you’re closer to White Sands than Lusby if you’re on St Leonard’s. There is a huge ramp under the Solomons bridge. This gives you access to Pt Patience and lots of bottom fishing grounds in the lower Patuxent. There are stripers and trout around as well. If you’re willing to cross into St Mary’s, Clark’s Landing is an option that’s kind of close. I primarily striper fish there, but perch are back in the creeks. You can park along the rugby field if ramp parking full (very small ramp).

Of course if it was me and I was on vacation I’d head to Point Lookout at least one day if winds looked good.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

great info will report back on my trip. PT Lookout offers many places to kayak , if wind is blowing on one i go to the other side. been wanting to try the piney point area . 2 days patuxent 3 days pt lookout 2 days exploring other spots, thanks for all your help. there must be several hundred years of combined experience on this site. thanks BILL

Comment

Thanks slack daddy , wondering if the fishing pattern will change during my trip, september is when they start schooling up. I will be there 9-12 to 9-18 thanks again.

Comment

I have not chased Stripers in over 20 years, since I sold my boat. That was on the severn river, trolling dock edges, and casting between. And overall, as far as Tidal fishing,, I am a "Creek and Cove" guy. White Perch, Catfish, Snakehead, And what ever else finds me. So I'll let the Big Water guys fill you in on that fishing.

No mater where I am fishing, Chasing smallies in the mountain rivers, pond/lakes fishing bass/sunnies, Tidal creeks, salt water, etc,,,, I ALWAYS have a 5' UL rod and my small box of 1/16 and 1/8 oz "roadrunner" jigs and 2" and 3" twisty tail grubs. When nothing else is biting or you get bored, this can fill the gap by catching endless white perch, puppy drum and even catfish and small Stripers.
            https://ttiblakemore.com/order/produ...-runner-heads/

I am still trying to locate the Snakehead in the Middle/Lower Patuxent,, not having luck there.

Originally posted by goldenyearspa12 View Post
            Thanks slack daddy , wondering if the fishing pattern will change during my trip, september is when they start schooling up. I will be there 9-12 to 9-18 thanks again.
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

September should be peak...if it follows years past, but then this is 2020...spot and bottom fishing should be good...puppy drum should be thick about then as will be spawned out Speckled Trout...the Stripers return to the shallows and morning/evening top water action could be epic...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

OK Ron,
                Details
                We have really found a home launching at Brooms Island and working that sheltered cove, but basically white perch, 10-14" Puppy drum, catfish and small stripers.
                The Pax is 2 miles wide here, If we get out of the cove a bit,, what can we expect September to bring?

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                September should be peak...if it follows years past, but then this is 2020...spot and bottom fishing should be good...puppy drum should be thick about then as will be spawned out Speckled Trout...the Stripers return to the shallows and morning/evening top water action could be epic...
                1 - Mad River Canoes
                1- Tarpon 120
                1- Redfish 10
                1- Coosa HD
                2- Cuda 12
                1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Hey slackdaddy.

I’m assuming you are launching from a protected spot that is very close to an oyster bed. I would focus on the oyster bed and the longer paddle to the point when the current is running. Especially if you can time it with the early morning/late evening. It’s worth it to get on the water on your spot at dawn. The size of fish will pickup into September and October. The same 14” fish now will be competing with larger fish in the fall so your catch will be mixed sizes. Set your drag just in case. No need to change spots the bigger fish will be there where you are at. Focus on anything that funnels current and/or structure. Try to learn from trip to trip and narrow down to the most productive spots.

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

coves are much safer, i capsized my pa12 under the bay bridge in 50 ft of water. luckily a powerboat was nearby to help get right side up. lost my vantage seat in the process. Now i am more careful, at 65 years i can still swim like a fish but that was not the problem , issue for me was righting the kayak and getting back in. utube videos show how to right the kayak as well as getting back in. not easy at least for me. used a neighbors pool to practice. i strongly urge all who kayak to practice, and secure everything drive ,seat rods etc. so far i fished st jeromes , home port , pt lookout,both sides and a lot out of sandy point. twister tails and grubs consistently catches me fish all kinds. still learning the different lures and knotts . still much to learn . rip raff in front of nothrup gruman tons of perch and catfish, occasional striper. oh and a cnr that drug me nearly to the shipping channel before i cut the line. will report back on my upcoming trip to pax river and pt lookout. thanks

Comment

Is there a map of artificial oyster beds?

Originally posted by ShaunGT View Post
                      Hey slackdaddy.

I’m assuming you are launching from a protected spot that is very close to an oyster bed. I would focus on the oyster bed and the longer paddle to the point when the current is running. Especially if you can time it with the early morning/late evening. It’s worth it to get on the water on your spot at dawn. The size of fish will pickup into September and October. The same 14” fish now will be competing with larger fish in the fall so your catch will be mixed sizes. Set your drag just in case. No need to change spots the bigger fish will be there where you are at. Focus on anything that funnels current and/or structure. Try to learn from trip to trip and narrow down to the most productive spots.

Just my two cents

1 - Mad River Canoes
                      1- Tarpon 120
                      1- Redfish 10
                      1- Coosa HD
                      2- Cuda 12
                      1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

This is handy on your phone. Others may have some guides to throw out there too.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=%7BudkFbcqrM

Comment

Thanks, that adds a TON of info I did not previously have.
                          In Sept do you fish the drop offs? Or as stated above will larger fish be up in the shallows?

Originally posted by ShaunGT View Post
                          This is handy on your phone. Others may have some guides to throw out there too.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=%7BudkFbcqrM

1 - Mad River Canoes
                          1- Tarpon 120
                          1- Redfish 10
                          1- Coosa HD
                          2- Cuda 12
                          1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

slackdaddy where is the launch site at broomes . i will add it to my list for my upcoming trip

Comment

The launch is "Nan's cove"
                              It is a Calvert County park.
                              It is small pier with a very convoluted kayak launch designed by a frustrated engineer.
                              There are 6 parking spots, a bulkhead along the (3' drop), so you have to use the pier launch.

You have to carry you yak on the pier and make a 90 deg turn on a 3' wide pier with handrails, down the ramp, onto a ~10' long platform then lift the yak over a small rail onto the "launching platform ramp/rollers"

They could not have designed a more difficult launch if they held a contest to design the most difficult launch.

PM'd you
                              Last edited by Slackdaddy; 08-26-2020, 06:55 AM.
                              1 - Mad River Canoes
                              1- Tarpon 120
                              1- Redfish 10
                              1- Coosa HD
                              2- Cuda 12
                              1- Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
                              X