Night Fishing at Kipto, Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Fishing at Kipto, Friday

I got Friday off, so will head down in the am. Hope to do some night fishing at the Kipto wrecks if I can find a partner.

I hope to then join HokieDJ and his friend Saturday for Kipto day and HRBT night fishing.

I figure togs and rocks are in and along the wrecks. How do you fish the wrecks for flounder? Or are flounders outside the wrecks?

Also, winds are forecast to be SSW. Is that bad?
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I drifted/bottom bounced a typical flounder catching setup. Bucktail with a gulp minnow, tipped with bait. My luck came with a bloodworm combination, but as you may already know, any cut bait strip will work. I was on the outside of the ship. The buck tail was dragged along the bottom while I fished a double bottom rig one my other rod for the other small fish
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

good luck Tuff! still lookong for the right spot for saturday

Comment

I am planning on fishing Saturday with Dave and Bill- somewhere south of me-

With a 20 mph steady wind and higher gusts from the WSW it should be "bouncy" just about anywhere in the Bay- but the peak of the fall fishing season is upon us so why waste a day waiting for perfect weather?

figure I should be healed up enough by Saturday from my minor surgery I had Monday to fish- I get my stitches out Monday-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          I am planning on fishing Saturday with Dave and Bill- somewhere south of me-

With a 20 mph steady wind and higher gusts from the WSW it should be "bouncy" just about anywhere in the Bay- but the peak of the fall fishing season is upon us so why waste a day waiting for perfect weather?

figure I should be healed up enough by Saturday from my minor surgery I had Monday to fish- I get my stitches out Monday-
          When you make up your mind where your fishing please post if your okay with extras tagging along. I might make it down then head to SMCM to visit afterwards. I would kinda like to try St. Mary's lake but I'm sure you guys want to stick to the salt.

Sorry for the thread jack Tuf.

Comment

Probably St. Jerome Creek out of Buzz Marina

Comment

For those who have done Kipto and CBBT.

10-15 knot W winds with 1-2 ft waves doable for CBBT? What about Kipto?

Comment

I would think its doable at Kipto...the ships are a breakwater, protecting you from a west wind. I'd expect some chop...but doable.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

HokieDJ,
                  If the wind forecast is worst Sunday, then suggest you go to CBBT on Saturday. You won't be as tired from a day's fishing and the wind would be calmer. After all, the CBBT trip would be more demanding than the trip to the wrecks.

If the winds are bad for HRBT, we could fish the north end and the adjacent creek because they are better protected.

I do remember someone saying that a certain direction of the wind is not good when fishing the wrecks. I don't remember what direction and why.

Metro,
                  If I use your technique, does that mean I'll catch an as big or bigger flounder than your keeper?

Comment

West south west winds off Va Beach and Rudee Inlet should make for very calm ocean waters until you got out a long ways out from the beach- unfortunately Kiptopeak is on the west side of the mouth of the Bay- the old world war II Concrete Ships were placed there for a breakwater for the ferry system before they built the CBBT for just such strong west winds. These ships were built out of reinforced concrete during the height of the German U-Boat wolf pack attacks on our convoys to England when 50-60% of the ships were being sunk and these ships were designed to make one trip- some survived the entire war and stayed in service until the early 50's- the Norfolk side of the Bay would be calm or at least a lot less rough than the west side- if it were me, I would fish the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel around Fort Wool-

Comment

As of now, that forecast is for Sunday. Saturday will be worst.

I think Kipto will be ok on Saturday because the ships will provide protection and the drop offs are close by which is good for flounder.

Comment

I will be getting down to Va Beach on Saturday afternoon and fishing the HRBT lightline on Satuday night and CBBT Sunday morning. From what I can tell the winds look to be forecasted to lay down some Saturday night. Im open to fishing the North or South end of HRBT Saturday night. Let me know what you guys are doing, it would be nice to fish with people from MKF that are going to be down. PM, call, or txt me 410-598-2393.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Going to hit Kipto Friday afternoon and night. Maybe join Hokie to fish Kipto again Saturday. I think the plan is to fish HRBT Saturday night. If I'm not too tired, I may join you and Hokie at CBBT during Sunday am .

South end of HRBT up to Fort Wool seems to be popular. Never did the north end.

Comment

You can launch next to the Mellen st bridge to fish the north end. The beach there is a bit rough, but its doable.
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I heard it's the north end of the Mellon bridge, so there's no fee. Have you fished the Hampton Bar which is west of north side HRBT? I heard it's flounder country.

Comment

Working...
                              X