Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catfish in Severn River - location help

Hey All,

Not looking for any secret rockfish or perch spots, just a reasonable place near Round Bay to catch catfish with a 3 year old. What depth and bait is working best? Historically, I have always used chicken livers... getting back into chasing catfish, only because its super easy to do with a 3 year old, and he seems to really enjoy. Are there blue cats in the Severn? Or is it just Chanels?

Vince
    Attached Files

I do not target catfish, and only rarely catch them in the Severn, despite fishing in that river often. The few I have caught were all channel catfish. The high amount of rain we had this month has lowered the salinity, which might bring more cats into the river.

The Severn River Rod and Keg Club (SRRKC) communicates through its Facebook page. There are many anglers who fish in the Severn (most from boats). You may get more relevant information from them.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Ok, thanks!

Comment

This year has been tough for catfish. Very few of my usual spots have had any hanging around and other anglers I have talked to said the same thing. However, the fish I have caught (channel catfish) have been around dock pilings and riprap/jetties. Each year they seem to be in different spots, so you might need to either be very patient or do some moving around (both difficult with a 3-yr old).

Comment

Most of my cats off the kayak have been spinning lures like bettle spins. I typically fish more Magathy and patapsaco rivers. When I bank fish for them typically fresh cut bait. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

You’ll have better chance on the Potomac. From Chain Bridge to Georgetown. It’s loaded with Blue cats.

Comment

You can catch Channel Cats on blood worms or fishbites in the South River down near Quiet Waters park. You will catch Perch and Croaker as well with the same bait.
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
              X