Baitfish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitfish question

I saw a bunch of bait fish flopping around on the surface near the mouth of the South River today. They appeared to be smooth skin (like blue fish) silver and blue with a sissors tail and were about 2 inches long. Can anyone identify them? I tried fishing below them but there wasn't anything there.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

There are a lot of small menhaden (peanut bunker) around. They travel in groups of at least several hundred fish in a small area. Periodically they will splash at the surface. The photo shows one I found earlier in the week. The paddletail in the photo is about 3" long. Unless I see the school reacting wildly, I don't bother casting to them. But when there is more splashing or frantically scurrying peanut bunker, it is worth making a cast.

2020-09-07-004.jpg

I am also seeing a lot of smaller and more slender baitfish (1"-1.5" long and skinnier than a pencil). When I cast a lure out and retrieve it, these little baitfish scoot out of the way and leap in the air.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John. Now I remember why it looked familiar, but I couldn't place it. When I was a kid growing up in Cape May, we used full size bunker cut in half as bait in our crab traps.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
      X