Hobie scupper cart - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie scupper cart - worth it?

I've just about talked myself into buying a brand new 2020 Hobie Outback. I think I'll even shell out for the camo color because I can't kid myself, that's the best looking color to me. What I'm wondering is if the Hobie scupper cart is worth getting?

Currently I have a fold up cart with solid hard foam wheels that is sturdy and works well. However it is moderately to significantly annoying to use.... I need to line it up just right, lift the heavy kayak on it and hope it's centered, hope it doesn't collapse, then strap it down which never seems to hold it in place. The idea of a scupper cart that is "set and forget" - no moving parts besides wheels, no straps - is pretty appealing.

What's not appealing about the Hobie cart is that you need to empty your gear out of the kayak, tip it over, insert the cart, then load your gear back in to haul the kayak back to your vehicle. This seems annoying. The price is also not appealing, $170 seems steep for what it is... I'm sure I could DIY something for far cheaper, especially if I use the solid foam wheels off my existing cart. But at the same time I think... if you're already shelling out Hobie money then why not...

So, for those of you who use or have used the Hobie scupper cart, do you think it's worth it? Would I be better off DIYing a similar one or modifying my current folding cart to not be as annoying?
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

I do not have any experience with scupper carts due to what I have seen on Elias' kayak fishing channel. He had a scupper cart crack the scupper wholes and he almost sank on one fishing trip. I am sure others may not have had any issues but this is the only case I am familiar with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, that's always a concern with scupper carts. However, I have heard Hobie started reinforcing the scuppers of their kayaks specifically so they would hold up to using scupper carts (which Hobie also sells for use with their boats)?
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

It was a 2018 Hobie Outback that he had the issue with if I remember correctly. He stated that he was fighting with Hobie about warranty replacement and they would not honor it.

Comment

Originally posted by ATAK140Jim View Post
          It was a 2018 Hobie Outback that he had the issue with if I remember correctly. He stated that he was fighting with Hobie about warranty replacement and they would not honor it.

Oh yikes... I think I would cry...
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Congratulations on your new Outback.

I've used the Hobie scupper carts on two Revos -- a 2012 model and now a 2018.

My 2012 model had the protective reinforced sleeves in the relevant scuppers and so does the 2018. I've never had an issue with leaking anywhere on either boat. The scuppers have showed no abnormal signs of wear on either model.

I can think of several causes other than the use of a scupper cart that could stress any kayak to create cracks in the scuppers or elsewhere on the hull. I'm not saying that the incident mentioned in this thread was not caused by a scupper cart. I'm simply saying it has not been a concern for me with prolonged use of a Hobie cart and that other use issues could have created the problem.

I like the Hobie cart because it's sturdy and it balances my Revo well disbursing the weight of the boat so that I can easily transport it on land. It also attaches firmly and stays in place. Not having to deal with tightening straps and then having the cart its twist position under the hull anyway is another good thing about it.

What I don't like about it is that the cart itself is heavy. My current cart is the version with the solid rubber tires. My 2012 Hobie cart had thinner wheels and was lighter. I liked that one better. Actually, the weight of the cart is a minor concern since I don't carry the cart in the Revo with me on outings. I return it to my vehicle or lock it with a chain near the launch. Still, the Hobie scupper cart is a hefty item for such a relatively small piece of gear. It's certainly not going to wear out.

As to loading and unloading, my Revo is approximately 70 pounds. It's lighter than the Outback by about 15 pounds according to specs. It's easy for me to balance my Revo on its side at the parking lot and insert the cart prior to loading it with my gear. I try to park near grassy areas so I can tilt the boat on a soft surface. Otherwise, I carry an old throw-rug and tilt the boat on that if no grassy area is available.

When I get to the water, I pull the boat completely into the water so that the whole hull is floating and the wheels are underneath. Then I go to the stern and lift. The wheels fall out and the cart floats. I set the stern down and pick up the cart to return it to my vehicle or stash it near the launch. I do this full immersion launching to avoid dragging the hull over a concrete ramp or sandy/gravelly beach.

To load the cart back onto the boat at the launch site, I remove my drive and rods and any loose items I may have on the deck. Normally, I take them to my vehicle first if the launch is near parking. Note that I use a BlackPak in the Revo for tackle storage. I leave that on the boat attached via the Revo's factory installed bungees but make sure the lid on the BlackPak is closed and secured. Then, while the boat is floating it's a simple matter to flip it on its side in the water and insert the cart. I wheel it out of the water, again avoiding damage to the hull by the ramp or beach.

I also have two Native Ultimate fishing kayaks. Those boats have no scuppers so obviously a scupper cart is not an option. For them I use a "Trailtrekker" cart.

http://paddlelogic.com/trailtreker-kayak-carts.html

It's a much easier cart to use than any scupper cart because I can load the boat on land and water without tilting the hull. I really like the "Trailtrekker" because it easily accommodates my full immersion approach at the launch site. (There's a video in the above link showing how easy it is to load.)

However, I do not use it with my Revo. When I attach the "Trailtrekker", the wheels sit far back on my 13-foot Revo hull. That causes me to carry more weight of the boat. In other words, it does not balance the weight of the Revo as nicely as the Hobie scupper cart. It may work better on an Outback which is a foot shorter than the Revo.

The bottom line, is that I am pleased with the Hobie scupper cart on my Revo. It has been the best cart option for me for my Revo.
            Last edited by Mark; 10-16-2020, 07:56 AM.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Elias resolved his Hobie warrantee issues...and it appears that Hobie has had some quality control issues with the 2018 models of the Outback that is inherent with the 2018s...as far as the question of "is it worth it?" Boils down to your budget and your tolerance for Hobie pricing...everyone bitches about the prices of Hobie brand name products...me included...they are generally well engineered, from higher end materials and Hobie does not apologize for their pricing. I have and routinely use the heavy duty Hobie cart to load and unload Lady Luck...with my system it is quick easy and pretty much fool proof. The Outback sits on carpet cover 4X4 landscaping timbers rack, I built that fits perfectly in my Ford Ranger pickup truck bed. Bungee cords secure it in-place traveling on the roads to and from...I slip the cart in the scuppers and slide the Kayak out of the pickup at the launch, I roll it to the water exactly as Mark describes...I usually turn the cart upside down and return it to the kayak scuppers inside the back tankwell and go fishing...occasionally I lock the cart in the truck, but 90% of the time it stays...upon return I place the cart under the kayak in the water...the bouancy of the cart holds it securely in the scuppers as i roll it up on the beach or ramp...roll it to my pickup- place the bow in the rack, push the kayak up the rack into the bed, secure it with bubgees and on the road home within minutes of hitting the ramp...easy, peasy for this 74 year old...hardly any heavy lifting at all...
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-16-2020, 10:39 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have been using the scupper carts on my Hobie's for 5-years with no issues. I have both the hard wheels by Hobie and the large beach wheels by Hobie for my PA-12. Easy to get on and off.

I would recommend with a Outback you look at the smaller beach wheels for your Hobie Outback. You can use the beach wheels on a hard surfaces and the sand, but the hard wheels depending on how far some soft launch drags can be, could be tough.

One thing I never do is leave the wheels in the scupper holes when transporting. I noticed some people do this on the YouTube videos. This can definitely lead to cracking issues.
                Yak-67
                2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

I've used an assortment of carts for my 2015 Outback (cheap Malone scupper cart, C-tug, and the Hobie scupper cart) and for me the Hobie version worked the best. The Malone cart was cheap and broke and the C-tug is a PIA, even after replacing the straps. I have the Hobie beach cart with the larger sand tires - I use it on hard surfaces and on sand, but I used to almost exclusively launch at beach areas requiring hauling the yak loaded with gear over a sand dune and loose sand. Yes, tipping the kayak over on the side is a minor inconvenience when putting the cart back in, but if you store your gear in the front/middle hatch and your rods in some type of pack/cooler there's not much to remove.

Another option if you're concerned about tipping the kayak over is the Boonedox landing gear. There are several members here that use it for their kayaks.
                  J

Comment

Tipping the kayak to use a scupper cart -- I agree with Jman that it's a minor inconvenience for the excellent functionality of a scupper cart.

After doing for so many years, it's just one more action in the multi-step process of launching or stowing a kayak. I've watched folks at boat ramps launch or load 24 foot Parkers in less steps and less time than it takes me to get my kayaks on and off of the water. It's just part of the game that otherwise has many benefits.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

This is a timely conversation as I'm a new 2020 Hobie Outback owner (Dave - I got the camo color only because that was all the Delaware Paddlesports had available back in July. I wanted Slate. Now though I totally agree - the camo color is the best) and have been fiddling with different launch/load techniques.

I had been loading my outback stern first on rack I made out of 2x4s wrapped in bunk bedding on my truck bed along with a truck bed extender also wrapped in bunk carpeting. The carpeting allows the kayak to slide on/off with barely any effort. At the ramp, I back almost into the water and slide the outback out bow first so its floating and then grab the stern handle and slide it straight into the water. However, this only works with a good, uncrowded ramp and probably only with the bed extender which keeps my truck usually out of the water.

I only did it this way as I was having trouble with using the Hobie Scupper cart (with the beach wheels). Even after emptying what little i carry out of the outback, getting it on its side to take the cart on/off was a huge hassle for me. I was too stupid until reading Mark and Ron's notes that I would be better off doing this while still in the water. My previous kayak had the boonedox wheels which I deployed/redeployed while in the water so why I didn't think of doing the same with the scupper cart just proves my lack of brilliance. So, thank you for that help!

If you get the Hobie Scupper cart (which I recommend), definitely pay the extra for the beach wheels. They work great on any surface.
                      Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

One thing to remember with the beach wheels..it makes the cart so buoyant it is nearly impossible to hold the cart under water to put the cart on the kayak in the water...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          One thing to remember with the beach wheels..it makes the cart so buoyant it is nearly impossible to hold the cart under water to put the cart on the kayak in the water...
                          Uh oh. I was worried about that. Thanks for telling me in advance what I would have learned the hard way.
                          Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                            I've used an assortment of carts for my 2015 Outback (cheap Malone scupper cart, C-tug, and the Hobie scupper cart) and for me the Hobie version worked the best. The Malone cart was cheap and broke and the C-tug is a PIA, even after replacing the straps. I have the Hobie beach cart with the larger sand tires - I use it on hard surfaces and on sand, but I used to almost exclusively launch at beach areas requiring hauling the yak loaded with gear over a sand dune and loose sand. Yes, tipping the kayak over on the side is a minor inconvenience when putting the cart back in, but if you store your gear in the front/middle hatch and your rods in some type of pack/cooler there's not much to remove.

Another option if you're concerned about tipping the kayak over is the Boonedox landing gear. There are several members here that use it for their kayaks.
                            I’ve seen many videos and articles about the Boonedox option and looks like it is being offering as a standard option to at least one of the Native Slayer models. Wondering why there isn’t broader use? It’s not a cheap option by any means but not that much more than the others discussed on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by baynovice View Post
                              I’ve seen many videos and articles about the Boonedox option and looks like it is being offering as a standard option to at least one of the Native Slayer models. Wondering why there isn’t broader use? It’s not a cheap option by any means but not that much more than the others discussed on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              It's an excellent idea. It looks very functional. However, the permanence of the attachment to the boat never appealed to me -- drilling and adding weight to the kayak. Plus I wondered if it would weaken kayak hulls where they were not built to be stressed. I imagine Native added reinforcement to the hulls with standard installations.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X