First time out on Weems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time out on Weems.

Thanks to everyone’s input, I went ahead and launched from Tucker street launch.

This was my first with everything; first time out on topwater PDL, first time on the creek, first time fishing on a yak, and first time using fish finder. So I didnt have high hopes. It was more of testing the water type of trip.

Maneuvering kayak and dialing in FF was already overwhelming for me. I made a few casts towards the docks and rip raps. only short bites.

It was great day to be on the water. Hopefully it gets better as I go on the water more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Keep getting out there. There are fish to be caught. I have been fishing in Weems Creek for 19 years and go many times a year now. There is a learning curve to figure out where and how to fish for different species. A lot of useful information has been posted on Snaggedline about fishing in Weems Creek and at many other locations. Spend some extra time reviewing old posts and look online at Google Maps and Navionics charts to help scout out productive spots.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats on the first trip out there! It takes time to get accustomed to all of the different things going on at the same time. If you keep going past the bridge in your photo - there's a lot of wooded structure back in the creek that is worth casting to. I went out on the Severn on Sunday, but it was a little choppy for my liking at the mouth, so I tucked back into Weems and caught a mess of perch, striper, one spot, and three pickerel on a Meps spinner with a slow retrieve.IMG-5298.jpgIMG-5299.jpg
      J

Comment

Great job getting out there. As you do it more, you'll definitely get more comfortable and a lot less overwhelmed. I'm just getting back into the swing of this myself, and something as simple as switching the paddle holder to the other side of the kayak really threw off my rhythm for a little while last week. Weems really does seem to be a perfect starter spot to get the hang of things too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
          Congrats on the first trip out there! It takes time to get accustomed to all of the different things going on at the same time. If you keep going past the bridge in your photo - there's a lot of wooded structure back in the creek that is worth casting to. I went out on the Severn on Sunday, but it was a little choppy for my liking at the mouth, so I tucked back into Weems and caught a mess of perch, striper, one spot, and three pickerel on a Meps spinner with a slow retrieve.[ATTACH=CONFIG]26873[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26874[/ATTACH]
          Nice pics. Still waiting to land one big enough to make use of my new Hawg Trough. Maybe tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
            Congrats on the first trip out there! It takes time to get accustomed to all of the different things going on at the same time. If you keep going past the bridge in your photo - there's a lot of wooded structure back in the creek that is worth casting to. I went out on the Severn on Sunday, but it was a little choppy for my liking at the mouth, so I tucked back into Weems and caught a mess of perch, striper, one spot, and three pickerel on a Meps spinner with a slow retrieve.[ATTACH=CONFIG]26873[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26874[/ATTACH]
            Thank you. I will check above the bridge next time. I might have seen you. Were you out around 3? I saw someone on Hobie going out when I was cruisin around [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

I visited Weems two days ago on a falling tide.

I was very disappointed. I fished above the bridges. The water was extremely turbid. Diesel fuel fumes were prevalent.

I caught the "Severn Slam" on perch spinners, nothing on the fly and nothing large. I had to work for those catches. Plus the lone striper I boated was sick with red spots. I wouldn't put it on my Hawg Trough.

Subsequent tides will surely flush it out. But it definitely needed a strong dose of "Tidy Bowl" on my last visit.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by YakMonkey View Post
                I might have seen you. Were you out around 3? I saw someone on Hobie going out when I was cruisin around [emoji846]
                Nope not me! Must have been a bunch of others out - it was a nice day to be out.
                J

Comment

Any idea of what that is on your pickerel’s fin? Some kind of parasite?

Comment

Originally posted by Rboulin View Post
                    Any idea of what that is on your pickerel’s fin? Some kind of parasite?
                    The creature on the pickerel fin appears to be an isopod -- common name is a "pill bug". That is a large one. Various species of isopods are found in ocean water, fresh water, and on land.

I have caught hundreds of Severn pickerel and have never noticed any isopods on the fins before. You may have heard anglers talk about "sea lice" that are found on the bodies of stripers that have recently moved in from the ocean (see my photo below). They are also isopods , but are smaller than the one in Jman's photo.

002.jpg
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John...I have caught stripers with sea lice before and this did resemble them. Have never seen anything like this so far up the bay or in brackish water.

Comment

Working...
                      X