Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free fishing book downloads

Free Fishing Book Downloads

During the past seven years, I wrote four books – 3 on fishing and 1 on travel experiences. Authors may publish books for various reasons: (a) it is rewarding to see your name on the cover of a published book, (b) you might make some money selling book copies, and (c) it is an opportunity to share your knowledge and thoughts to many other people. I certainly have enjoyed (a) and think I did a decent job on (c). But apparently, I am not very good at (b) - I stink at marketing sales of my books. I joke that my books have made the NY Times Worst Seller List.

2020-01-01 20-18-31.jpg

2020 has been a strange and often difficult year for many people. In the spirit of the Christmas season and Giving Tuesday, I decided to do something to brighten things up just a little bit for my friends in the fishing community and elsewhere. Beginning today and running through Dec 25, all four of my books can be downloaded for free as .pdf files. After that I plan to take down the active link. Go t https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...61?usp=sharing . You should see icons for each of the books. Right click on the icon and select Download.

Here are short summaries of the four books. All four are “G” rated and suitable for any reader.

1) “Fishing in the Comfort Zone”, 2016. This is my first fishing book and is the one that is really a how-to book.

2) “Fishing Road Trip – 2019”, 2019. I made a 17-day driving trip to Florida in Feb 2019 to fish my way around south Florida. This book describes day-to-day where I was, what I saw, and the fishing experiences.

3) “My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember”. 2020. I had some remarkable fishing experiences in 2012 and in 2019. This describes the many fish I caught with some fun stories about how I fished and where I was.

4) “Adventures on the Lecture Tour”, 2014. I served two separate years as a Distinguished Lecturer for the Society of Petroleum Engineers. They sent me around the country and the world to give lectures. Although this title may sound dull, here is the opening paragraph: “Surviving a high-speed car crash, sleeping in an airport in a country unfriendly to the United States, eating llama meat and cod tongues, driving an hour on snowy roads at 3:00 am to get to a remote Russian airport, stopping the car for goat herders in the Andes to clear the road – those things sound like they are plot features in a fictional adventure story or movie. But all of these are experiences I have had as a traveling lecturer – life on the lecture circuit is not always stuffy and boring after all. This book describes some of the remarkable adventures and great experiences I have had while traveling.”

While these downloads are free, if you would like to have a signed hard copy of the book for a gift or to augment your reading shelf, please contact me for purchase details.

If you decide to download the books, let me know if you have any comments on them. Also, if you experience issues with downloading, let me know. My email address is john@veilenvironmental.com.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 12-01-2020, 07:26 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I know it is not an easy decision to share your hard work for free. Thank you for sharing.

Jayson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

Nice gesture John. Just downloaded a copy of 1) and 3). No issues with the download and the PDFs themselves look good. I'm especially looking forward to reading your first book!
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

If you already have books 1 or 4, they were published with black and white photos to minimize printing costs. The .pdf files show the original color photos for all four books.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sharing our life experiences is what our sport is all about...the movie Forrest Gump appeals so widely as a ordinary person from humble beginnings overcomes obstacles and is a witness to history-we all have Some of these "Gump" moments- thanks for sharing yours John.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks John. I'll try to download them tonight.

Comment

Same here John.
              MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
              2016 Hobie Outback LE
              Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
              https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Thank you John!! I read Book 1 several years ago and very much look forward to the remaining 3!
                Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

John,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and hard work. I look forward to reading these books several times to gain any knowledge that you have so kindly decided to share with the fishing community.
                  PASADENA
                  2018 VIBE SEA GHOST 130- TEAM ORANGE

INSTAGRAM - @duff_dynasty1

Comment

Thanks John, I just read about your trip to Florida. I found it very interesting. You may remember I took a road trip to Florida around the same time as you. Though I only used a guide one day and used lures almost exclusively. I think I was in Boynton beach around the same time as you were. I fished off shore with Eric and unsuccessfully tried to catch a sailfish. I also used his tips to fish Lake Ida and caught peacocks, a snakehead and hooked a clown knife fish but lost him. I was in Florida for 19 days and fished 18 of them. Fortunately the day I picked to go off shore was the only non windy day of my trip. I also caught my personal best redfish from a kayak of 28"also kayak best snook of 28 1/2. I fished one day in the keys and caught a nice cuda but am jealous of your nice bonefish. It is so nice fishing down there in the warm weather when it is cold up here. I am planning another trip this February. I will be staying with a friend of mine in Naples for 2 weeks. We will kayak fish together and I hope to have good reports. Thank you for posting the link to your books.

Comment

Thanks for doing this. I have trouble reading online for an extended period so I ordered your road trip book. Sounds really interesting. This Covid has allowed me to do a lot of kayak/camping road tripping south (mostly GA\SC\NC) and could you pointers for FL. Looking forward to reading it.
                      Jay

10' Green Slayer
                      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                        Thanks for doing this. I have trouble reading online for an extended period so I ordered your road trip book. Sounds really interesting. This Covid has allowed me to do a lot of kayak/camping road tripping south (mostly GA\SC\NC) and could you pointers for FL. Looking forward to reading it.
                        If you have any questions about kayak guides in Florida and one in NC, feel free to send email to john@veilenvironmental.com.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

The free downloads end on Dec 25. If interested, download the books before then.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Read your Florida trip book. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing. Happy holidays!

Comment

Working...
                            X