How long before replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before replacing?

Seven years ago, I decided to get more comfortable fishing on hot summer days...I bought a Hobie inflatable PFD...been using it ever since...light, non binding, you don't even notice it at all...but...always a but, how long does the inflatable rubber bladder safely last? When should you replace it? Once you start down this road considering the reliability- it is time to replace it for peace of mind...so do I want the utilitarian inflatable or a multi-use fishing vest/PFD with lots of storage pockets? Looking on line at reviews...asking friends what they use, how they like or dislike theirs...and then there is the old "I bought it- I have to like it" pride issues to consider...Not sure which way to go, so the question is "out there"...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Many years ago when inflatable PFDs first came on the market, I checked them out at West Marine. The ones they had were uncomfortable for my body and made my decision very easy. I have always stuck with regular PFDs. On my boats I used one that looks like an outdoor vest and had two side pockets. On my kayaks, I use one that is designed for kayak use (currently a NRS Chinook). I love having lots of pockets, and fill every last one of them.

Regarding personal safety, regular PFDs are definitely warmer in hot weather, but if you are wearing them, they will always work for flotation. The inflatables will probably work, but if you are injured or unconscious when in the water, why take a chance.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use an Otto Matik from NRS. It's expensive as all get out, but I like it. I can't tell it's on. I can even wear it under my clothes.

I'm vain as heck. That coupled with the fact that I run a youtube channel is why I use an inflatable pfd. The standard foam life jackets make me look like a fatty on camera (more so than I already am!).
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Like John I prefer the idea of an inherently buoyant PFD over an inflatable one, whether automatic or manual. I also wear the NRS Chinook and I like it a lot. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing it until I go to buckle my seat belt on the drive home! I don't keep a whole lot in the pockets because I like to minimize bulk - usually I just put my cellphone in one pocket and eyeglasses case in the other pocket. But if you wanted to keep tackle and a few small tools in there, it's got the space.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

For several years I using the NRS Chinook and really liked it and having several pockets. When it was time to replace it last year the new models had changed the pocket design to some that I didn't care for. So I switched to the Kokatek Leviathan and fell in love with it. Pockets galore but even more the front padding is pre-formed to fit ones body better making it more comfortable.

Comment

I have used both types of PFD, an inflatable West Marine SOSpender and a Lotus Design high back. The other day I was examining my Lotus Design and thinking it was looking a bit rough. Just checked and the company sold over four years ago. Whatever equipment you use, be sure to check it for functionality. The Lotus appears to be still good, but some of the reflective portions are definitely showing wear.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Anyone have the Onyx kayak fisherman vest...highly rated- considered a top value...looks like it has lots of pockets and storage options Class III USCG approved...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                Anyone have the Onyx kayak fisherman vest...highly rated- considered a top value...looks like it has lots of pockets and storage options Class III USCG approved...
                Have not heard anything about that specific PFD, but I've heard very good things about the Onyx MoveVent from other kayak fishing forums. They often recommend it as an excellent budget option. I used to wear a West Marine PFD that I am 95% sure was just a re-branded Onyx MoveVent (they look identical except the colors are different) and it was a good vest. I'm sure the Onyx fishing vest is good as well.
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Went to order Old Town Lure Angler....Found a deal I just could not pass up...Kokatat Bahia Predator kayak fishing pfd on sale...pulled the trigger...should have it before Christmas, but don't plan on any fishing anytime soon...a top ten rated kayak fishing pfd...at 68% off
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-13-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks ronaultmtd...just checked Backcountry website, Red Kokatat Bahia Predator kayak fishing PFD for sale in all three sizes for $50.54.

https://www.backcountry.com/kokatat-...0by%20Discount
                    John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
                    Hobie Outback (Papaya)
                    Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

Incredible service from Backcountry.com...three day delivery from day of order on free shipping! $53.58 total cost for a highly rated dedicated kayak fishing pfd...unbeatable deal!
                      One of my buddies just checked...the $50.54 sale is over...
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-15-2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X