New Year New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year New Adventures

I love to try new places, new techniques, and really just new adventures in kayak fishing of any kind. I've spent the last several summers, winter, and spring breaks driving the old family minivan to just about anywhere I wanted to go for new fishing adventures. That often meant Florida in colder months, the Adirondack Mountains in the summer, and the Chesapeake Bay in Fall and Spring. This past summer it was many hours on Lake Erie learning to catch Walleye, a species that had previously eluded regular catching for me. This June I will retire after 35 years of public school teaching and so my opportunities for these things will likely become even greater. This got me thinking about where else I might like to go and wondering what sort hopes others might have.

Where have you always wanted to fish, near or far? Who knows, maybe someone on this list can provide you with the guidance you need to help you make it happen.

I don't have many since I've been driving to anywhere I wanted to go, but here are a couple:

Near (In the Northeast): I've always thought about doing a Mockhorn Island camping trip like "Kayak Kevin" described in an old Kayak Angler article.

Far (Anywhere Else): Venice Louisiana Red fishing

It could be that I will never do either of those things and that's okay. There is always great fun to be had on all sorts of water in all kinds of places. There is always a catch that will surprise you, a sight that will amaze you, and someone you will meet who will bless you.
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I retired from full-time work ten years ago, and just closed my part-time consulting business to enter full retirement. I have not regretted it a single day. Clearly, my fishing days both locally and farther away have gone up dramatically since I stopped full-time work. Most of my out-of-town trips have been to Florida. Over the past decade, I fished in many spots and have established a network of kayak fishing guides that I use in different parts of the state. Florida is easy to get to (if you fly), or is doable for a driving trip.

There are good fishing opportunities in other Gulf states too. Redfish and specks are common along the LA and TX coast. Alaska offers totally different fishing opportunities, both in rivers for salmon, and in the ocean for halibut, lingcod, pacific rockfish species, and some salmon. It is a long way to travel, but the rewards can be good. In 2011, I did a 4-day live-aboard trip on a 52' boat with five other guys. The captain and mate cooked all our meals. Each day we dropped off slabs of fish meat at a fish processing plant, and on our final day we received 600 one-lb vacuum packed and deep frozen bags of fish fillets. I was able to bring home 40 lbs of halibut fillets in my luggage. Some of the other guys arranged to have larger quantities sent the their homes by Fed Ex.

I don't spend much time on freshwater fishing, but there are loads of opportunities across the country.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Bill,

Congratulations on your lengthy teaching career and retirement. I'm certain you touched many lives positively and that's something to be proud of.

I've had the pleasure of catching Laguna Madre (TX) redfish on the fly and with conventional tackle during two trips to the area. The reds are numerous and active in the very salty Laguna Madre. But I've always heard that the ones in Louisiana are bigger -- not that a 26 inch TX redfish doesn't give you a good tussle on a flyrod. So, at some point, I'd like to catch some Cajun reds on the fly.

I've done a lot of reading about the trout rivers of Wyoming and Montana but I've never stepped foot into either state. I really want to fish there. I want to see the mountains while I cast and I want to see a grizzly bear in the wild -- presumably on the other side of the river I am wading or while I'm passing by safely in a drift boat. I had hoped to arrange a trip out west this year but the pandemic stopped that. Maybe next year. A few members of the Free State Fly fishers are interested.

You mentioned the Adirondacks. I had the pleasure of fishing two lakes in that area in September of 2019. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I caught my first ever northern pike and I caught it on the fly and in my kayak. I added a few more pike along with numerous SM and LM bass on that trip. That was a great time and I hope to return next year with some friends from the Free State Fly Fishers.

So, those are three fishing trips I look forward to.

Nice topic, Bill, and again, I wish you a long and enjoyable retirement.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! That’s going to free up a lot of your time and allow you to chase your dreams.
        I have always wanted to fish in Italy, though I’m not sure that will ever happen. Some other fishing trips I would absolutely love to embark on would be Wyoming/Montana, I’d love to fish in Alaska for salmon, also western Maryland. I’d love to get on some good trout fishing! I’d also like to go Tarpon fishing in Florida. Im in a season where life is changing and I’m hoping that I can make my dreams a reality sooner than later! The kayak fishing community is hands-down The most helpful, friendly, and rewarding community to be a part of. Happy fishing, and merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Venice Louisiana...nearly heaven...offshore rigs got everything- wahoo, tuna, snapper, cobia, amberjack...inshore is just unbelievable-Gator Specks, Bull redfish, doormat flounder and even largemouth bass...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Congratulations on the retirement, thirty-five years of teachers is something to be proud of. You have certainly earned your rest and relaxations.
            Wyoming, Montana and Idaho should definitely be on a bucket list. They are incredible areas even if the fishing is slow. Do your research, plan your hatches being mindful of the snow melt dates (changes year to year). Although, it may be cliche, stick to the park, because access to the historic rivers has become limited -a lot of barbwire. If you can swing a float, it will be memorable.
            Ten years ago, I would have said surf fishing Montauk should be on the list, but fish have become smaller, and more sporadic. As an alternative, I would definitely put the Cape Cod Canal on the list. It is one of the last places to potentially get a fifty from the side. It requires a lot of planning and gear, but the rewards can be epic.
            I have done a ton of road trips to GA, and SC this year and found them to be one of the most accessible, easier places to fish. There are endless miles of fishable back bay waters that hide a lot of good fish.
            Like others have said, I have my eyesights on Louisiana. Their redfishing looks legendary. I'm not sure how yak friendly it is, but I want to make it there this year.
            However, as i say to my students all the time, appreciate your local natural beauty. I always tell them our springtime blooms can rival any far-off jungle, and our cardinal, blue jay and goldfinch can go toe to toe with any of them. We live next to some world-class fisheries. I spent many hours driving south this year chasing reds, only to hear the SMOG guys had a banner year down the street. I could also get lost for days, not seeing anyone, fishing the Eastern Shore Nooks and crannies. Fish at your feet and move to the center of the river.
            Last edited by summersoff; 12-26-2020, 07:45 AM.
            Jay

10' Green Slayer
            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Bill -

I have traveled extensively over the past 30 years (all 50 states and 50 countries). Most of those trips did not involve fishing, but I have fished in a wide variety of spots in many different ways. At the risk of throwing a wet blanket on your plans, please realize that catching the target species is almost never guaranteed. You did not include in your original post whether you plan to drive to places and bring your own kayak for fishing or if you plan to fish with guides (from kayaks, boats, or other). I have very few regrets about fishing trips I planned and made, but have had my share of disappointments when fish were not caught. Before going on, I note that in almost every state you will need a fishing license for fresh or salt water fishing (these can be costly for non-residents). It would be great if an angler could pay one fee and get a national fishing license, but that is not yet an option.

During the past 8 years, most of my out-of-town charters have been on kayaks, but prior to that nearly all were with guides on boats. You can plan a trip weeks in advance and find that weather stinks on your fishing date or hear the dreaded phrase "You should have been here yesterday". You could make plans to fish in a well-known spot (for example, Venice, LA as several commenters have noted). When you arrive at the kayak launch or meet your guide first thing in the morning, you could find that a cold front went through the day before or strong winds had blown water out of desired habitat. Or the fish had moved or are not biting that day. Believe me, I have had that experience more times than I want to remember. Here are a few examples:

1) Redfish - Somewhere around 2004, I decided I wanted to catch a redfish. My work travels took me to LA (I booked two charters in Lake Ponchartrain and one out of Houma [not too far from Venice in the south Louisiana marshes]) and TX (I fished in Galveston Bay) over several years. I also booked several boat charters in Florida. None of these guided trips produced a single redfish for me. Finally in July 2008, I found a kayak fishing guide in Virginia Beach, VA who put me on 7 reds in 4 hours. It was a great pleasure and relief to catch that first red. The LA, TX, and FL spots were better known for reds, but did not produce on the days I fished there.

2) Tarpon - In the late 90s I got the urge to catch a tarpon. I found a boat guide on the Gulf coast of Florida who specialized in tarpon. The first two times I booked with him, we found no tarpon due to weather or just bad luck. Finally on our third try (May 2002) my fishing buddy and I caught 7 tarpon over two half-day trips.

3) Bonefish - I caught my first bonefish in Feb 2019 in the Keys with a kayak fishing guide. I had fished there many times before but never encountered them. On the other 7 trips I fished in the Keys in 2019 and early 2020, I caught bones on only two other trips. They were probably nearby on all of the trips, but we did not find them.

4) Sturgeon - I have admired sturgeon for years but did not have the opportunity to target them until a business trip to Vancouver, BC in June 2018. I added an extra day to my trip, rented a car, and spent two nights in a hotel at a town 2 hours from Vancouver. I hired a local guide. We fished for at least 6 hours, had one bite that stayed on the line for 15 seconds, but never caught a single sturgeon. The guide told me it was his only trip of the year without catching a sturgeon.

These are just a few examples of well-intentioned trips that were booked with legitimate shots at the local target species. They just did not work out, despite my careful planning and large expenditures. I don't intend for these anecdotes to discourage you from exploring, but I hope you will be able to enjoy the local surroundings, environment, culture, people, and food while you are making your travels, even if the fishing is unproductive. With very few exceptions, I am glad to have made my many fishing trips around the US and in a few foreign countries.

If you do haul your own kayak to far-off spots with the hope of targeting local species, you can improve your chances by getting some local knowledge. Tackle shops, regional kayak fishing clubs, or recommendations for kayak guides can help a great deal. In November 2017, Mark and I traveled to the Corpus Christi, TX area as part of trip I had won through a CCA banquet. We fished two days with some local guys (recreational fishermen, not guides). We caught fish on day 1 in Laguna Madre, but due to boat problems, we had to wade fish on day 2 with minimal results. I had used my contacts through Native Watercraft to get the name of a well-known kayak fishing guide in the area. We stayed on for a third day and had excellent catching with him on reds and specks. I have never seen so many redfish as I did that day in those waters -- they were kind of like the schoolie stripers we find in our local area here. But without his expert help on the final day, we would not have caught as many fish as we did. He was a talented fisherman and knew what lures to throw, and where to throw them.

Enjoy your travels. I look forward to your reports and stories.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Bill -

At the risk of throwing a wet blanket on your plans, please realize that catching the target species is almost never guaranteed. You did not include in your original post whether you plan to drive to places and bring your own kayak for fishing or if you plan to fish with guides (from kayaks, boats, or other). I have very few regrets about fishing trips I planned and made, but have had my share of disappointments when fish were not caught. Before going on, I note that in almost every state you will need a fishing license for fresh or salt water fishing (these can be costly for non-residents). It would be great if an angler could pay one fee and get a national fishing license, but that is not yet an option.
                No wet blanket, I've fished enough to know that you don't always catch what your looking to. I always figure you have to play to win, but you certainly don't always win, at least not in the fish catching category. I've used guides a few times, but frankly have no experience with any that I would say was ever remotely worth the price. For me, success or failure measured by fish in the boat is a smaller part of the pleasure. I enjoy the planning, the unknown, the wonder of what might happen, what experiences might be had and what fish might be caught as much as what actually is. I love just driving with my own gear and kayak, a cot in the back of the rear-seatless van and a tent under the cot, traveling and finding adventures that some pay big money to get while I spend very little beyond gas money and those out of state licenses you mention, a very small price to pay for the pleasure they buy. I think it's really the little boy in me now having the means and opportunity to do what I think many would like, but maybe few are truly able or willing to do. We tend to focus too much on the business of life, the accumulation of stuff, and the need to do more to hold onto that stuff. I'm certain that's also easy for me to say though because I've had a career that has provided well for my family and I know that many have not experienced the same blessing.

Another side of those adventures for me is the desire to find places and fish that I think friends might enjoy. As much fun for me as finding great spot is, I really enjoy bringing a friend along to enjoy some experience that I've discovered. In many ways it's like what some in this forum and those who have contributed to this thread do all the time in a virtual way. Grandchildren are just beginning to come along for me. I sure hope I will be able to share experiences with them someday. In recent years, we have rented places on pristine waters in the Adirondack mountains and enjoyed the company of our four adult children and their spouses and future spouses, as well as some other extended family. Putting them all on fish from kayaks and canoes in quiet mornings up there is super fun. When my kids are out of bed and on the water with me at 4:30 or 5:00 a.m., I know I have sold them on the beauty to be experienced in the still of the morning on the water.
                Bill

Comment

These are the sort of happy experiences for which little expense is necessary. Pictures are from Lake Erie this summer. I found that their were photographers at launches most mornings as the sunrises are often similar to the one below. I had fished the quieter Presque Isle Bay in Erie, PA, but always wanted to try launching directly into the lake. Lake Erie can be dangerous for small boats and even more so for kayaks of course as it doesn't take much wind for the water to become pretty violent. With a good wind app and an early morning launch, I found that unbelievable fun could be had. The catch shown below was from my first day on the lake simply trolling plugs. The Smallies range from 17" to 20" and the Walleye from 17" to 25". I actually caught 3 small mouth that were 20" that morning. I also landed other smallies, several very large fresh water drum and a few white bass that morning. I stopped keeping Smallies after that trip, but did put more Walleye in the freezer. I spent the rest of the summer working to fine tune location and tactics to catch more Walleye and less of everything else.
                  IMG_1061.jpgIMG-0912.jpgIMG-1076.jpg
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    Bill -

I have traveled extensively over the past 30 years (all 50 states and 50 countries). Most of those trips did not involve fishing, but I have fished in a wide variety of spots in many different ways. At the risk of throwing a wet blanket on your plans, please realize that catching the target species is almost never guaranteed. You did not include in your original post whether you plan to drive to places and bring your own kayak for fishing or if you plan to fish with guides (from kayaks, boats, or other). I have very few regrets about fishing trips I planned and made, but have had my share of disappointments when fish were not caught. Before going on, I note that in almost every state you will need a fishing license for fresh or salt water fishing (these can be costly for non-residents). It would be great if an angler could pay one fee and get a national fishing license, but that is not yet an option.

During the past 8 years, most of my out-of-town charters have been on kayaks, but prior to that nearly all were with guides on boats. You can plan a trip weeks in advance and find that weather stinks on your fishing date or hear the dreaded phrase "You should have been here yesterday". You could make plans to fish in a well-known spot (for example, Venice, LA as several commenters have noted). When you arrive at the kayak launch or meet your guide first thing in the morning, you could find that a cold front went through the day before or strong winds had blown water out of desired habitat. Or the fish had moved or are not biting that day. Believe me, I have had that experience more times than I want to remember. Here are a few examples:

1) Redfish - Somewhere around 2004, I decided I wanted to catch a redfish. My work travels took me to LA (I booked two charters in Lake Ponchartrain and one out of Houma [not too far from Venice in the south Louisiana marshes]) and TX (I fished in Galveston Bay) over several years. I also booked several boat charters in Florida. None of these guided trips produced a single redfish for me. Finally in July 2008, I found a kayak fishing guide in Virginia Beach, VA who put me on 7 reds in 4 hours. It was a great pleasure and relief to catch that first red. The LA, TX, and FL spots were better known for reds, but did not produce on the days I fished there.

2) Tarpon - In the late 90s I got the urge to catch a tarpon. I found a boat guide on the Gulf coast of Florida who specialized in tarpon. The first two times I booked with him, we found no tarpon due to weather or just bad luck. Finally on our third try (May 2002) my fishing buddy and I caught 7 tarpon over two half-day trips.

3) Bonefish - I caught my first bonefish in Feb 2019 in the Keys with a kayak fishing guide. I had fished there many times before but never encountered them. On the other 7 trips I fished in the Keys in 2019 and early 2020, I caught bones on only two other trips. They were probably nearby on all of the trips, but we did not find them.

4) Sturgeon - I have admired sturgeon for years but did not have the opportunity to target them until a business trip to Vancouver, BC in June 2018. I added an extra day to my trip, rented a car, and spent two nights in a hotel at a town 2 hours from Vancouver. I hired a local guide. We fished for at least 6 hours, had one bite that stayed on the line for 15 seconds, but never caught a single sturgeon. The guide told me it was his only trip of the year without catching a sturgeon.

These are just a few examples of well-intentioned trips that were booked with legitimate shots at the local target species. They just did not work out, despite my careful planning and large expenditures. I don't intend for these anecdotes to discourage you from exploring, but I hope you will be able to enjoy the local surroundings, environment, culture, people, and food while you are making your travels, even if the fishing is unproductive. With very few exceptions, I am glad to have made my many fishing trips around the US and in a few foreign countries.

If you do haul your own kayak to far-off spots with the hope of targeting local species, you can improve your chances by getting some local knowledge. Tackle shops, regional kayak fishing clubs, or recommendations for kayak guides can help a great deal. In November 2017, Mark and I traveled to the Corpus Christi, TX area as part of trip I had won through a CCA banquet. We fished two days with some local guys (recreational fishermen, not guides). We caught fish on day 1 in Laguna Madre, but due to boat problems, we had to wade fish on day 2 with minimal results. I had used my contacts through Native Watercraft to get the name of a well-known kayak fishing guide in the area. We stayed on for a third day and had excellent catching with him on reds and specks. I have never seen so many redfish as I did that day in those waters -- they were kind of like the schoolie stripers we find in our local area here. But without his expert help on the final day, we would not have caught as many fish as we did. He was a talented fisherman and knew what lures to throw, and where to throw them.

Enjoy your travels. I look forward to your reports and stories.
                    Wow, great food for thought. So many trips are burned by unforeseen problems, weather the most common. I have been blow-out in Florida more times than I fished. You really made me rethink my Louisiana/Texas fishing road trip to more of a food trip with a possibility of fishing if weather permits, which shouldn’t be a stretch in those areas. Your Florida Roudtrip book is a mix of that - great read by the way. I was about to hang up my rod, but after reading it, I heading down again for some reds.
                    That’s why I like the eastern shore and GA and SC, you can usually find a protected nook. Also, I usually bring a surf rod, bad weather usually means good surf fishing
                    Last edited by summersoff; 12-26-2020, 01:03 PM.
                    Jay

10' Green Slayer
                    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I’ve gone to Costa Rica 7 of the last 9 years in March fishing for sails, marlin and rooster. It is as close to a guarantee as I’ve ever encountered in fishing. We fish 3-4 days and I have not been skunked on any day, both off shore and inshore. You will also find consistent calm water and runs rarely exceed 25 miles to be on fish. Prices compared to the US are very favorable for charters. It is completely different from kayak fishing (although they do offer kayak fishing in shore), but that’s part of the fun for me. If your budget allows I highly recommend it. I fish out of Los Suenos.
                      Mike
                      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                      X