New 10' pedal kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 10' pedal kayak

Last year Native Watercraft introduced the Slayer Propel Max 12.5, which included many new features. It was considered a newer version of the Slayer Propel 13. This morning I learned that Native will introduce a smaller and lighter version of that kayak later this year. It is the Slayer Propel Max 10. It has most of the features of the Max 12.5, but also adds some new things that are upgrades since last year.

This informative video prepared by Shane Benedict, one of Native's managers, showed up on YouTube over the weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be. I like the use of the computer-aided graphics to show the features in three dimensions.

That was the first I had heard of the new boat. No information is yet available on Native's website, but stay tuned for more news. The graphic below gives an estimated length and width, but no weight.

Slayer Max 10.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That thing is hot. Ugh, does it come with divorce papers, because I'll need them. It is soooo practically built for fishing. Tons of accessible storage. Do you think it still has enough room for a bonedox? I didn't catch it in the video but what do you think its going to weigh?
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
      That thing is hot. Ugh, does it come with divorce papers, because I'll need them. It is soooo practically built for fishing. Tons of accessible storage. Do you think it still has enough room for a bonedox? I didn't catch it in the video but what do you think its going to weigh?
      Neither the video nor the graphic gave a hint at the weight. The best I can do is to say that it is likely to be somewhere between the 62 lb hull weight on the Slayer Propel 10 and the 95 lb hull weight on the Slayer Max 12.5. The new seat base is different and may weigh more or less. Stay tuned.

That video was leaked by someone before Native was ready to have it out. It is now on open YouTube, so I felt I could post it here. The Snaggedline community has an advanced peak at the new model. Native has not even received the new mold for that boat, so it will be at least a few months before they begin production and start shipping out to the dealers. It does give potential buyers a chance to line up their finances and spousal approvals.

I don't know about the Boonedox. I anticipated that Shane might have said something about where it could mount on the hull but did not hear him say anything. Certainly there are ample gear tracks to hold it.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Pretty sweet looking kayak. I was impressed with the attention to detail/user feedback apparent with the very first thing they mentioned - rubberized carry handles instead of foam. I have an older Slayer 12 (non-propel version) and have always disliked the foam handle grips. They spin around, get dry rotted, I'm not sure how to replace them (does Native offer replacements?) and they just don't feel that nice on the hand. Admittedly it's an extremely minor gripe - they don't really affect the function of the kayak at all - but the fact that enough users also felt this way and spoke up about it and Native actually did something about it is nice.

Some of the features seem a little superfluous, like the horizontal rod storage/butt holders, the extra gear track along the chair supports (what are you really gonna do with that little bit of gear track behind your seat and below the gunwales?). There also seems to be a lot of dead space behind the rear tank well, though I can't really think of how this area could be better optimized for more storage given the placement of the rudder plate. That being said, a lot of the features look awesome - the transducer recess, electronics panels, elevated and adjustable seat, the under-seat storage drawer (this is pretty dang nifty). It looks like a good boat for anyone in the market for a 10 footer - I can't imagine anyone would be unhappy with it.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
        X