My new kayak shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new kayak shed

Between kayaking a lot more this year and needing room for another car, I decided a good winter project would be reorganizing all of the stuff in my garage. Aside from new cabinets and hanging slatboard for rods, paddles, PFDs, etc, I knew I wanted to create more space by getting my two kayaks off the wall. The garage ceilings weren't particularly well suited to pulleys, and I would never live it down if a kayak fell on my wife's car, so I decided to build a shed. I've never built anything other than a garden box in my life, and I'm decidedly unhandy, but I figured what the hell else was I doing in December? So I looked at some pictures online, borrowed a saw from my neighbor, and hit home depot for the lumber. If I had it to do over again, there's probably a bunch I would do differently. Still, I think it looks pretty good and certainly serves its purpose. Not sure if I want to do anything to close off the front a little - definitely don't want a door but maybe some sweet beaded curtains? Also, built this over the gravel path between my driveway and deck. so next step in the spring is some levelling and re-routing.

20210104_162558.jpg20210104_162633.jpg
    Last edited by scorchy; 01-09-2021, 09:18 AM.

A double decker!

Very nice work.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you staple indoor/outdoor carpet over the runners, your kayaks will slide much easier.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

That looks really good. Covid triggered a lot of things and since we were home we decided to put in some TLC on home and do some much needed maintenance. One of which was a custom 10x!6 shed to house our lawn equipment and kayaks. Maybe we can turn this thread into a how do you store your kayak and what does it look like thread.
        Hobie Outback
        WS Tarpon
        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Originally posted by ILV2F5H View Post
          That looks really good. Covid triggered a lot of things and since we were home we decided to put in some TLC on home and do some much needed maintenance. One of which was a custom 10x!6 shed to house our lawn equipment and kayaks. Maybe we can turn this thread into a how do you store your kayak and what does it look like thread.
          Thanks, and great idea. Changed the title.

ETA: At least I thought I changed the title. On the main forum, the title is the same, but when you click on the thread it's renamed. The board software has me vexed.
          Last edited by scorchy; 01-09-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

When I owned one kayak, I stored it on the floor in the center of my double garage. As my number grew to 4 kayaks, three for fishing and one sea kayak, I needed more room. Now they take one complete side of the garage. To save floor space, I bought a vertical Malone kayak rack:

Malone Rack (2).jpg

The rack was originally intended to hold up to three boats. I added more arms to accommodate 4 boats as you see above. The heaviest of the boats is the Blue Revo. That's on a lower level to reduce my lifting. The lightest boat, is my Ultimate 12. That's on the highest level.

I also added brackets on the Malone rack to hold paddles. I keep two pre-strung fly rods I use most often during a particular season on the rack too. The rods below are two 7 wts. I carry now for pickerel. I store my fly rods not in use in their tubes. My conventional rods are on a ceiling rack near the kayaks. The papers on the rack are checklists (they differ depending on the boat I use) and extra copies of my licenses:

Malone RackA.jpg

Side story: My wife wants me to buy a golf cart. She wants to join the golf cart convoy that has grown in popularity in our neighborhood. At times, my street looks like the path from the 18th green to the cart shed. Even kids drive them. Fortunately, our streets are extra wide and they pose no safety concerns. I've told my wife we have no room in the garage for a golf cart. She said we would if I moved my kayaks. She knows that's not going to happen!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              When I owned one kayak, I stored it on the floor in the center of my double garage. As my number grew to 4 kayaks, three for fishing and one sea kayak, I needed more room. Now they take one complete side of the garage. To save floor space, I bought a vertical Malone kayak rack:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27107[/ATTACH]

The rack was originally intended to hold up to three boats. I added more arms to accommodate 4 boats as you see above. The heaviest of the boats is the Blue Revo. That's on a lower level to reduce my lifting. The lightest boat, is my Ultimate 12. That's on the highest level.

I also added brackets on the Malone rack to hold paddles. I keep two pre-strung fly rods I use most often during a particular season on the rack too. The rods below are two 7 wts. I carry now for pickerel. I store my fly rods not in use in their tubes. My conventional rods are on a ceiling rack near the kayaks. The papers on the rack are checklists (they differ depending on the boat I use) and extra copies of my licenses:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27108[/ATTACH]

Side story: My wife wants me to buy a golf cart. She wants to join the golf cart convoy that has grown in popularity in our neighborhood. At times, my street looks like the path from the 18th green to the cart shed. Even kids drive them. Fortunately, our streets are extra wide and they pose no safety concerns. I've told my wife we have no room in the garage for a golf cart. She said we would if I moved my kayaks. She knows that's not going to happen!
              Sweet setup and Lol on the golf cart situation.
              Hobie Outback
              WS Tarpon
              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

I have a walk-out basement with with a wide sliding door. Whichever kayaks are not in active use are stored there lying flat on carpet laid over the concrete floor. This photo was taken in 2014 at a time when I owned four Native kayaks: Slayer Propel 13, Slayer Propel 10, Manta Ray 14.5, Manta Ray 11.

002_3a.jpg

I since sold all but the Manta Ray 11. I was fishing so often in 2020 that I decided to keep that 11' kayak inside my van most of the time. It rides with the bow on top of the reclined front seat and runs diagonally toward the left rear corner. It makes getting ready for my next kayak trip very easy.

P1020524.jpg 2003-08-02 00-29-21.jpg

Last March I bought a Ultimate FX15. It lives in the basement except when I decide to use it on longer trolling trips.

2020-03-27 11-38-16.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                X