Stuff You Forget to Bring When You Go Kayak Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff You Forget to Bring When You Go Kayak Fishing

Now that I'm into my 50's I have begun forgetting things. Unfortunately, several times this has occurred when attempting to kayak fish. What are some of the things you have left at home by mistake? Here's a list for me:
    1. Forgot the paddle.
    2. Forgot the pfd.
    3. Forgot my needle nose pliers.
    4. Forgot my camera.
    5. Forgot my dry bag/dry case for my cell phone.
    6. Forgot water bottles.
    7. Forgot sun block.
    8. Forgot sun glasses.
    9. Forgot a hat.

Tom -

If you are just moving into your 50s, hold on tight -- your memory is not likely to do better in the upcoming years. Some folks like to use checklists. When I fly to Florida for a week of kayak fishing, I use a checklist to make sure I have all the things I need. It has been helpful as I often would have forgotten at least one item without the checklist.

For local trips, I too have forgotten items. Last summer I drove to the launch ramp and realized my fishing rods were still in the garage. Fortunately, that ramp is only 10 mins from home. I drove back to get the rods, and launched 25 mins later than planned. I have forgotten my water shoes on occasion too.

Unlike most Snaggedline members, I keep my 11' kayak inside my minivan almost all the time. With it are my primary Plano tackle tray (including fishing license and extra jigheads), my PFD (with spare plastic tails, line cutters, eye drops, reading glasses, a granola bar, and a tape measure always in the pockets), a gel seat cushion, pliers, Fishgrips, and rod holders already in place. My hat, facial covering, and fishing gloves are in a bin in the back of the van. My paddle halves and the Hawg Trough are tucked in next to the seat. I carry spare water bottles in my van too.

All that I need to add each time is the appropriate rods for that trip, a VHF radio if fishing with others, my water resistant camera, my water shoes (and chest waders in the winter), and whatever jackets are necessary. Unless I am doing a long day on the water, I generally apply sunscreen to my face and ankles before leaving home. All the rest of my body is covered.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Tom,

I've forgotten at least once everything on your list during my years of kayak fishing -- and I use a checklist!

I can add snacks to your list. I like to take granola or Cliff Bars on long outings. It's amazing how they can "refill my tank" for more energy.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Just a couple weeks ago I carefully crafted a Plano tray to take pickerel fishing, filling it with select jerkbaits, xraps, paddle tails, spinners, extra hooks... then I grabbed the wrong box to throw in my milk crate to go fishing. I brought a box that only contained bass jigs and a few jerkbaits. I think one time I forgot to bring a tacklebox all together!

I've also forgotten the fish finder battery or, more commonly, forgot to charge it for the trip. I keep my PFD, paddle, and the removable chair to my kayak inside the truck so I shouldn't ever forget those. A lot of my fishing tools (pliers, lip grippers, bait knife, scale, measuring tape, etc) I keep in the kayak so they are always with me too.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Forgot the battery so many times that I stopped using a FF and it has been fine

Everything else is left in the chair or put on the box (cooler). It’s just a process of moving those two back and forth.
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I trailer my kayak, same ritual every morning, start truck and move it into position, roll kayak out of garage, hook up, go back in house for my coffee, walk back out the garage, and down the road I go. Except that day I left kayak in the garage. Ron was nice and didn’t laugh at me, too hard.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

^^^
              That’s too funny

I just remembered, I was meeting my FL brother in Ga for a couple days of yak fishing in Jekyll. I brought my two yaks down. Unfortunately I forgot the drive for the Revo. It didn’t even cross my mind to let him have the Slayer and I would use the drive-less Revo - it’s my BROTHER not my wife. He bitched for two days straight. I think he groaned on every paddle stroke- big baby.
              When I have to bring stuff for others, that’s when I forget stuff.
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I often forgot something too. The worst thing happed one time is when I unloaded my paddle kayak from car and rigged everything up (fish finder, cooler, rod and tackle box) and sadly found I forgot to have my paddle with me. since then, my wife reminded me to take the paddle every time when I told her I will go fishing.

Comment

To date, I haven't forgotten anything that would be trip ending... knock on wood... My forgetfulness kicks in once Ive gotten to the ramp. Seems every other trip I have to turn around and head back to the launch because Ive forgetten hat, sunglasses, bait, sunscreen in the car.....
                  "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I'm embarrassed to say that as a former Red Cross Small Craft Instructor Trainer, I have forgotten my pfd several times.

I use an inflatable belt style, and have occasionally left it in the cars after unloading.

Several years ago, I was stopped by the DNR while fishing from the canoe near the mouth of Weems Creek.
                    The DNR officer at the time in the area was a very attractive young lady.
                    She pulled up along side of me and asked where my pfd was. I pointed down at my waist, and I am sure by her expression that she took this as an inappropriate gesture. I had to explain that I was wearing a type 5 belt pfd, and then she laughed.

I offered her a bottle of water, since it was a very hot summer day, but she declined.
                    "t wasn't a bribe." I said.
                    "I can't take it." she explained. "Got no way to pee when I'm out on the water!"

Yeah, pliers, lure boxes, typical senior moment things.

Tom, see what you've got to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                      ^^^
                      ...Unfortunately I forgot the drive for the Revo. It didn’t even cross my mind to let him have the Slayer and I would use the drive-less Revo - it’s my BROTHER not my wife. He bitched for two days straight. I think he groaned on every paddle stroke- big baby...
                      I can relate. I once forgot the drive for my Revo. I can tell you, a Revo is not fun to paddle with a gaping hole where the drive is supposed to be. Every paddle stroke resulted in a gush of water through the hole and rising up on the deck, not only slowing me down but sloshing under my seat. There's a reason Hobie provides a plug for the Mirage Drive hole. So, your brotherly love aside, I can sympathize with your sibling.

Now, I have to add something to my forgotten list. I went trout fishing on the Gunpowder today. This was a wading trip. My kayaks stayed home. I forgot my MD fishing license! It remained safely tucked in the waterproof gear box I carry in my kayaks' milk crate or BlackPak. I need to print another license copy to carry in my wading backpack.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My most common thing to forget is sunglasses as they aren't so necessary predawn.

But most things I forget are a big part of why I am so addicted to the water.

I forget the pressures of things to do.
                        I forget the things I think I can not do.
                        I forget the perceived wrongs that have frustrated me.
                        I forget the shortcomings that plague me.
                        I forget all the times I have fished and caught nothing and live in the hope and excitement of the new adventure of the moment and the wonder of what this time on the water might bring.

Typically, I return with
                        a renewed and relaxed perspective on tasks to be done,
                        a revived energy and clearness of mind to accomplish what I must,
                        a greater humility of spirit that appreciates my position in a magnificent creation,
                        a belief that I can be better today than I was yesterday,
                        wonderful memories, a story to share, and sometimes dinner.

Nothing like an activity that you can leave so much behind and yet bring so much home.
                        Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
                        2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

I try and keep my kayak fishing simple, a couple of rods a Plano box or two. To me it’s turned more kayaking with a side of fishing. This year is the FIRST year I forgot items...on multiple occasions. I forgot the kayak seat one trip then the paddle the next trip. Since then I have been good. Usually I am very dialed in and pick out all my gear the night before to load in the morning. But with COVID and taking more spur of the moment trips because of the furlong with my company last spring I did forget. Maybe I will end up making a check list as well. I know during the cold months I will not leave my house till I triple check for safety items. This time of year it is not worth the risk. Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Desert Camo- Moken 14
                          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            Now, I have to add something to my forgotten list. I went trout fishing on the Gunpowder today. This was a wading trip. My kayaks stayed home. I forgot my MD fishing license! It remained safely tucked in the waterproof gear box I carry in my kayaks' milk crate or BlackPak. I need to print another license copy to carry in my wading backpack.
                            FYI as of the last 2 or 3 years, MD now accepts a digital copy of of your fishing license. So if you buy online using the Compass portal you can save a copy directly to your phone, or just bring it up in your email. I still keep a paper copy in my wallet but it's good to know that a digital copy on the phone is a valid backup.
                            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I fought through an hour and a half of traffic the Friday before Labor Day a few years ago, only to realize I left the seat at home when I got to the launch. I also forgot my rods once this fall, but I was only 5 minutes from home at that point, so it didn’t end up being a big deal. I try to do most of my packing for a trip the night before, so I have plenty of time to double check everything.
                              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
                              X