Carrying a fishing license by state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying a fishing license by state

I just read Mark’s response on another thread about forgetting his fishing license. It got me thinking, I have licenses in multiple states but rarely carry a paper copy. I always assumed I could pull up info on the phone, am I wrong?. Has anyone ever been stopped without a paper license. Is this a State by state issue. I’ve heard SC are sticklers for having a fishing license, with a $200 fine- all hearsay of course, but enough for me to have a license before drowning a worm in the palmettos.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

The nice thing about being able to purchase licenses online is that you can save a copy as a pdf, which can be printed in multiple copies. I print several copies, put one in a protective pouch in my fishing gear, and then put the extras in the glove box of my car as backups should my primary copy get water damaged or separated from my gear.

Comment

Originally posted by toadfinger View Post
      The nice thing about being able to purchase licenses online is that you can save a copy as a pdf, which can be printed in multiple copies. I print several copies, put one in a protective pouch in my fishing gear, and then put the extras in the glove box of my car as backups should my primary copy get water damaged or separated from my gear.
      Same here. I keep one laminated copy of my licenses in the pouch behind my kayak seat and another plain paper copy in the car. My biggest issue is remember when to renew. I wish everyone would just go by calendar year, but I do understand the reasoning behind a year from purchase date.
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Carrying a fishing license by state

I, too, keep one copy in my yak in a waterproof pouch along with copy of DL and CPR certificate. I have pulled fishing lisence and pic of DL off my phone severa times when I bank fish in AA co. and OCMD, both DNR officers didn’t say anything.

Side story. I lost my DL during a pandemic, so I carry my printed out DL along with passport. You have to wait almost 2 month for Mdot appointment for replacement. When I got pulled over for broken headlight, state trooper took my DL printed on a piece of paper, didnt bother to check my passport. Also He had no problem me showing insurance info, and registration from my phone.

Hey, we live in the COVID era less contact is better right? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

In DE I got checked without a copy of my license a couple times and the officers were able to pull up my info on their phone. Now I try to keep separate paper copies of my MD and DE licenses with my kayak and shore fishing gear and in my car, as well as a pic saved on my phone.

Comment

I keep all of mine saved on my phone in a license folder. My phone is waterproof, so I have no issues with keeping it on me that way. I keep the paper copy in my wallet too...but those usually suffer from swamp butt during the summer.
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

It does vary state by state. In some states not only do you need a paper copy but it needs to be displayed at all times while fishing. This is why they make those clear plastic holders with the clip on them, fishermen will clip it onto their hat or vest something.

Maryland required a paper copy for the longest time, it was only in the last 2 or 3 years that an electronic copy (pdf on your phone) became accepted.
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
              X