Torqeedo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torqeedo?

I need some group comments - sorry I know this has been discussed before, but it is a big decision and I just need some current input. I have a 2019 Outback and I am really thinking about putting a motor on the back.
    I fish the bay primarily, Kent Island area was my go to last year...hoping to fish a wider area this year.
    I do not think I want the Hobie motor because I don't want to pull it out every time I want to peddle...because I am still going to peddle - a lot. I am probably like most people, even though I fish weekly, when I fish I do not have a big block of time and I would like to use the motor to get me out to where I fish and back in a more timely manner. I am a little worried about having the motor in the back when I load and unload from my truck. I was also looking for input regarding the 1 HP motor vs the 3hp motor. I do not think I need 3hp, I am not dragging any one around - but I don't want to regret spending an extra $400 and getting more then twice the HP.
    Thanks - Chris

The motor removes easily with a couple small caribiners. If I had to do it over again, I wouldve spent the extra money on the 3hp motor. The 1hp is more than enough for me and my son on a big tandem kayak, but 3hp would be nice to have when weather rolls in.

I dont get out often, so when I do, I like to get where Im going quickly.

Edit: I cant actually remember what type of connectors came to link the steering and motor retract lines, but I swapped them out with the appropriate size version of these Everbilt 1/8 in. Zinc-Plated Quick Link (3-Pack)-43374 - The Home Depot]. I just remember me not trusting the stock line connectors to keep a pricey motor safe.
    Last edited by nhunter344; 01-27-2021, 04:29 PM.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I remove my motor before loading. Simple and easy. I have the 1hp motor. Your hull is the biggest limitation of how fast you can go.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

In the last 6 or 7 years I've used motors I've learned it's not about speed but the ability to pull stronger winds and currents. There is a fallacy that bigger motors pull more battery than smaller. I've learned that is true only if one is running them at higher speeds. What you gain with a larger motor is more thrust which allows one to cruise at the same speeds as a smaller motor using the same or lower amperage draw yet have more thrust available if stronger elements come up. There's much more I could go on about but no sense in making this long winded. A trolling motor with the right type of transom mount is easily to put on and taken off for transportation. You can't go wrong with a Torqeedo for sure.

Another option a few members on here have gone to is the Bixpy's. Plasticboat and Moc have them on their rudders, however Bixpy has a transom pole mount especially made for mounting on the transom.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
          In the last 6 or 7 years I've used motors I've learned it's not about speed but the ability to pull stronger winds and currents. There is a fallacy that bigger motors pull more battery than smaller. I've learned that is true only if one is running them at higher speeds. What you gain with a larger motor is more thrust which allows one to cruise at the same speeds as a smaller motor using the same or lower amperage draw yet have more thrust available if stronger elements come up. There's much more I could go on about but no sense in making this long winded. A trolling motor with the right type of transom mount is easily to put on and taken off for transportation. You can't go wrong with a Torqeedo for sure.
          100% agree

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Many several on here have and LOVE the Torqeedo. The 1 hp will get you there and back and it is much lighter with good speed and power. The 3hp gives you more power, a little more speed but is much heavier and uses more power at high speeds. It also requires the larger battery while the 1hp can use either. I would always recommend getting a second battery when getting either engine. Jus sayin

Comment

Thanks for the replies, definitely leaning towards the 1 HP...just for the weight issues, but who knows. Going to order it soon though, Spring cannot get here soon enough.

Comment

Anybody that goes out there and runs at high power without good reason doesn't want to spend much time on the water. Where the larger motor is more efficient due to thrust is in the low to mid high range. My 65# or 80# brushless motor at 2-2.5 mph trolling speed draw between 5-6 amps where as when I used a smaller motor in the same conditions used 10-11amps @ 3- 3.5 mph now with those motors I draw between 10-11amps and they weigh 13 & 15lbs vs the 24lbs I carried with my 55# brushed TM

The downside with the Torqeedo and the smaller battery is it wouldn't last long unless one were creeping along. The 915 battery was the saving grace for Torqeedo because people didn't want to need to spent $599 each for multiple batteries so IMO the smaller one isn't going to fit the bill unless one has a 915 and are going to use it as a back up. The smaller battery was the main reason I didn't go with Torqeedo when I first motorized my kayak. What I use now I can easily get 10-20 hrs runtime using it sensibly.

That's just my 2 cents from motorizing and watching changes over the years.

Comment

I always carry 2 batteries (smaller ones) and I have never had to switch batteries unless I used it constantly all day in medium to heavy current. You will be very happy with either Torqeedo.

Comment

Sure I agree you shouldn't with what you will be using it on and since you'll be getting a pedal kayak that is the main advantages of having 3 propulsion sources paddle, pedal and motor. If you were to have only motor and paddle such as myself then smaller batteries dont make sense. LOL, early on I have had to run my motor on full and paddle my butt off a few miles to get back because of winds and currents. Now I don't with my new power system.

Comment

I do have a paddle yak too and I never ran out of power with that one and the small Torqeedo. I only changed batteries 1 time in the Pro Angler. In addition, my batteries have a small foot print and weighs less than 10 lbs and is equipped with a computer that tells me how much time I have left at the speed I’m traveling, and a gps etc etc

Comment

What you trying to turn this into a pissing contest? The only reason I mention it is my experience of being out on the water with others who have, which by the way stopped me from getting a Torqeedo years ago. And btw my set up also provides me with that information using a Victron BMV 712. Yup you got me beat on the weight, my 100ah lifepo4 battery weighs 28 lbs and my 80# brushless motor runs 15lbs, which I find respectful for my kayak and I don't have to swap out batteries. I can stay out on the water 10-20+ hrs if I'm not horsing the motor. Around 10 hrs if I run a constant 3.5mph, 18-20hrs if I'm running at a constant 2-2.5mph and yup I can get up there at 5-6mph but what's the point it's just going to run my battery down a lot sooner. My Battery cost me less than two of the small Torqeedo's and less than 1 of the 915 batteries. So what though, I wasn't debating if the OP should get a Torqeedo or not just providing information based on my 7 years of motorizing a kayak. Your damn right I'm going to suggest over powering, if someone is going to be out on the bay. I've been in those situations where the current switches and winds came up too strong for my motor to handle and I've wound up motoring and paddling my butt off a few miles because if I didn't I was going to go backwards. Take your paddle/motor yak to Oyster Bay and you just might find out what I'm talking about. I'm powered enough now I can easily pull a 90,000cfs+ current on the Susquehanna with all of the generators running.

You guys wonder why more people don't post, or post on here but then stop after awhile, this is a perfect example. You gentlemen who have been on here with 2000+ posts like to dominate topics & debate anything that is contrary to what you have to say making it seem as though those posters don't know what they are talking about.. Guess what others who haven't been on here as long may, just may, know as much as you if not more......

Memory don't bother to repy because I'm outta here. You gents can enjoy flapping your jaws at each other as this membership goes even further to hell in a handbasket.
                        Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-31-2021, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Wow ........ wasn’t trying to piss you off. I just wanted to point out that I never had the problem you mentioned about the battery and I have several Torqeedo’s and all of their yak batteries. Don’t be so thin skinned bro. We are all here to help each other and there is nothing wrong with a healthy exchange of ideas. Sorry you took offense. I have and still use different batteries on my boat but I still think the Torqeedos are great batteries with lots of advantages and my experience is not what you expressed in your post. It’s not that big of a deal. Sorry I pissed you off.

Comment

On a lighter note.....

I didn't realize I needed/wanted a Torqeedo until reading this thread. Of course that is not in this year's budget but the research begins.

Does anybody use or have an opinion on the Torqeedo Rock Guard/Grass blaster add on by Innovative Sportsman? I'm not so worried about rocks in the bay and the accompanying creeks but the grass cutting capability intrigues me. May also be helpful around some of those crazy oyster beds.

Bottomline: is this a good add-on? I hate to add extra weight for no good reason.
                            Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Pointless debate really. Seems more like getting angry just to get angry. Everyone equips their yaks to suit their fishing style and needs. You want a hundred pounds of batteries and enough push to zip around like a bass boat? That's your call. You want to strip the motor off your kids RC boat and run it off a few AA's, go for it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. People need to take a few deep breaths and realize that just because someone posts a different opinion, is isn't an attack on their opinion.

Back on topic, I use my Torqeedo to supplement my fishing, not as a primary source of propulsion. Keeping position in minor winds or currents or to tie on some lures on my way to where i want to fish. I also use it to run a trotline for crabs. I know the limitations of the Torqeedo and plan my fishing accordingly. I'm not going to get myself on the wrong side of Kent Narrows when the tides ripping and storms are rolling in. I started with the smaller battery and soon upgraded to the 915. The weight difference is negligible but the upside is awesome. Don't get me wrong, the smaller battery works just fine, but you will definitely have to be more vigilant about your speed. What I eventually figured out is that if you are planning on using the Torqeedo/small battery combo as your primary power source, plan your trip distance as if you were paddling. It should last all day then.

I also have the rock guard grass cutter on mine. Its saved me a couple times from some major dings while in the rocky Potomac. I haven't had vegetation foul the motor either, but I haven't been through anything super thick to judge its effectiveness. I dont notice the weight when raising the motor out of the water but I the extra weight does help in dropping the motor fully. Ive had issues in the past with the motor not dropping all the way but I think that has more to do with friction in my system than with the actual motor or mount. It also serves as a nice stand for the motor when unattached.

The torqeedo does have its downsides, price probably being the largest. Torqeedo no doubt relies on the fact the American's will pay considerably more for German engineering. I'm not crazy about the motor and throttle connections to the battery. It takes a little extra time to make sure the connections are straight and that youre not cross threading anything. The j-hooks they supply to connect all the steering lines and and to raise the motor rust if you say the word water around them. Im not crazy about their throttle, but I think thats just do the limited space in a kayak. Trust me, at some point, you will be de-hooking a fish or get distracted by something and you will inadvertently slam the throttle into full speed ahead. I suppose I could remove the magnetic key, but Im too lazy for that.
                              "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                              Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X