Release Over 20″ (Specks) Initiative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release Over 20″ (Specks) Initiative

Disclaimer: I have caught exactly zero specks this past year. However, I know quite a few Snaggedline members have had a banner year for catching them, especially the Southern Maryland crew.

https://eyestrikefishing.com/releaseover20/

I normally take several trips a year to NC/SC for their great speak/reds fishing. Pandemic prevented that this year. I just wanted to pass along this initiative created by folks like us to preserve and grow their Speckled trout population and it appears to be paying off. I have no clue if there are even 20" or greater specks in southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore but just in case I think it would be great if Maryland could join this initiative. I realize this is needed for specks as there is no upper slot but like many folks here you also follow this by releasing those big, breeder (legal) stripers when in season. I only wish the charter captains could convince their clients to do the same....take a great picture and send her back into the water safely.

Hopefully this upcoming season continues the increase in specks in our waters.

Forgot to mention - if you're a fan of the Trout Eye jigheads, as I am, Eye Strike fishing is a leader in this initiative.
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

I have never caught a spec in MD and too generally head to NC to get my red/spec fix. I also have never kept either. But if we can get into them here like I do down there with some conservation I support it. Dying to get on the water. Hopefully by the beginning of March.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

There were lots of 20”+ specks caught this past year in the slower lower. In the spring and through mid summer we tried to release any speck that was obviously full of eggs, regardless of size. I’ll admit to keeping a couple over 20” in the fall, but the majority are released. Hopefully 2021 will be as productive, they really made up for the poor rockfish bite.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

We caught several dozen over 20 Inches last year...many right at the 24 inch citation size...as with all my Striped Bass catch, most were released unharmed...especially if they had a big full belly of eggs...kept a few for the table, but mostly they were 17-19 Inch size that were not obviously full of eggs...it was rare that we caught small undersize specks last year- Maybe a handful- most were well over the minimum size limit...we had "speck-tackle" year with the spotted sea trout. One bit of good news was the reappearance of legal redfish (puppy drum) and a few Bull Reds ..hopefully it will be as good or better this year.

The 20 inch voluntary release program being touted by some anglers in South Carolina may have something to do with over harvesting the resource. I checked their DNR regs. They allow 10 fish limit of Spotted Sea Trout with a 14 inch minimum length. Maryland DNR allows a four fish limit of Spotted Sea Trout with the 14 inch minimum length size.
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-01-2021, 10:08 PM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I consider myself mostly a C&R angler. I have no problem with a program that advocates the release of fish. Yet, I have kept a few 20 inch specks during trips to FL.

Speckled trout are prolific spawners. Further, unlike our stripers, their spawning season is very long. In the Gulf they can spawn from March to October. I've caught many more in TX and FL than in MD. In fact, it's easy to catch them one after another in those states. They school up just like white perch and when you find a school, catches on consecutive casts are common. Mind you, they're mostly small from 12 to 14 inches to an occasional fish that's 20 inches or larger. But specks mature fast and can spawn when they are one year old at only 11 to 12 inches.

The "20 inch" link cited in this thread says that only 8 specks in 1000 reach 20 inches. I didn't know that. The stated goal of the program is to preserve the genes of those larger fish. That's commendable. If followed, time will tell if it leads to larger fish.

Here in the southern Chesapeake specks spawn from April to September according to the MD DNR. So there is a good likelihood that given their quick maturity any speck you catch over 12 inches during the summer is a spawning fish.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have practiced C&R with speckled trout for years for several reasons. First of all, that was what I was taught by other anglers in my family. Secondly, I just think that they are aesthetically a beautiful fish, and for years they were not very plentiful. I enjoy the skinny water and low fishing pressure environment they are found in. The last two years have been the best ever, and this mild winter has me hopeful for 2021. I only took two home last year, both hooked too deep to survive. However, I have no problem with other anglers keeping a fish for dinner. All the people I fish with are true conservationists, and only take a low number home for the entire year, and never any of the big girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
              ... and this mild winter has me hopeful for 2021.
              I hope so too bud, but sadly I think it's been a little colder at times than you think.

Just today (the 4th) there were 50 dead, cold-stunned specks along a bank on the seaside in Accomack County. I'm sure if I kept looking there would have been more. They were all in the 18" - 24" range. The majority were over 20"+.

IMG_0252.jpgIMG_0254.jpgIMG_0257.jpgIMG_0260.jpgIMG_0262.jpg
              I wear a size 13 shoe for scale.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                They allow 10 fish limit of Spotted Sea Trout with a 14 inch minimum length. Maryland DNR allows a four fish limit of Spotted Sea Trout with the 14 inch minimum length size.
                If I recall correctly - wasn't the speck limit in MD and VA 10 fish also just up until about 6 -7 years ago? At about the same time we started seeing a speck resurgence in the bay (2012 - 2013?)?
                Brian

Comment

Wow! Sorry to see those beauties end up on the beach! Do you think they are a little further north this year and got caught? I know I have seen some Bay water temps are 37, but we have not had a lot of ice so far. I was thinking they are usually more south this time of year.

Comment

Dang that’s not good
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Some of those 20 plus inch fish we released did not survive the cold water...the last big kill of millions of those specks and puppy drum a few years ago was in the Tidewater Virginia area around Lynnhaven, Linkhorn Bay and Lake Rudee
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The cold water kills of the specks you guys have observed is a shame. Let's hope enough of them moved south to escape that that fate so that the southern bay population rebounds fast. Their susceptibility to cold water could be why they spawn so prolifically over many months. Their lengthy spawning season during warmer months produces many fish to ensure their survival as a species when a winter cold snap thins their numbers.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                          Wow! Sorry to see those beauties end up on the beach! Do you think they are a little further north this year and got caught? I know I have seen some Bay water temps are 37, but we have not had a lot of ice so far. I was thinking they are usually more south this time of year.
                          I think they overwinter in this spot regularly. I have a hunch that they are fish that stay on the seaside too. Like Ron said, if a cold kill happens in VA Beach then we should expect less than stellar speck fishing up our way for a couple years. And let's really hope that doesn't happen. I think (hope) this kill will likely only effect the speck fishing in the local area - think Taylor's Landing area to Wachapreague.

I kept 2 specks that were still in the water and semi still moving. One was over 20"+ but I didn't feel any regrets harvesting it in this situation. It's a rare treat to feed the family fresh speck in February!

But to the OP, the release 20"+ sounds like a great initiative. I think the 18" - 19" fish are the perfect size for feeding my family of 3 anyway.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

I kept 2 specks that were still in the water and semi still moving. One was over 20"+ but I didn't feel any regrets harvesting it in this situation. It's a rare treat to feed the family fresh speck in February!
                            I think I knew that before you ever said it! LOL

Comment

Even though I grew up in the south, I love snow and really cold weather. No longer. Got my fingers crossed that there are zero more days in MD of below freezing temps for the rest of the winter!

Thanks to all for your input and teaching me about specks in MD. Now, if I could only catch one in MD this upcoming season!
                              Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Working...
                              X