Fishing with Frosty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing with Frosty

Snaggedline has gone quiet again. I have not taken my kayak out since Jan 22, due to cold weather, wind, and ice cover. I don't think many others have kayak fished recently either. To lighten things up a bit, I am posting these photos that I originally took during this same week in 2014.

I invited my friend Frosty to try kayak fishing. He is only available in the coldest parts of the year. He really enjoyed sitting in the comfortable seat and fishing. He followed good practice by wearing a PFD, and used a hat and sunglasses for sun protection.

005.jpg 004.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

haha. Nice John! Yup, the cold weather has me at my fly vise making up some flies for when spring arrives.

Comment

fg13_d3_fish.jpg

Here's a new challenge species for you John

Comment

I think I've seen him on the Severn.

He's always on the move. He disappears quickly in July.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yep, winter hibernation for five or six more weeks...COVID pandemic and vaccine shortages don't help with anything, either. Like 95% of us, I have made a few purchases and made preparations in anticipation of this season...but getting out right now? No way!
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Oh how I dream of hot weather again.

Capt Mike

Comment

Capt. Mike,

That is some great looking water.

I love fishing in that environment.

I can almost see the vegetation moving and bow wave just prior to the big splash and strike.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hope it warms you up on this cold day.

Capt Mike

Comment

I've been hoofing it local when the hard water allows. Mostly these things with some crappie mixed in and the occasional bass. It looks like a tough week coming up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice work! I've heard that out in western md the lakes occasionally ice up enough to go ice fishing... That's another thing I'd like to try some day, but a whole bunch of equipment I don't have/ can't justify buying unless I win the lottery or something. Any of you gents ever ice fish?
                    -Justin

Comment

Ice fishing is commonly done out at Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland most winters. Just a couple hours drive away.

Until recently, there have been winters where the local tidal rivers have frozen over enough to allow ice fishing on them.

I can't say as it would be something I'd like to do..........

The old joke about ice fishing:
                      I went ice fishing once and did real well. I caught over 200 pounds,........... of ice.
                      Damn near drowned trying to cook it!

Comment

Working...
                      X