Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here has a Hobie Compass? Do you like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here has a Hobie Compass? Do you like it?

I ran across a classified ad for a 2018 Hobie Compass. I wasn't looking for a Hobie but the price has my attention. I'm trying to confirm if it has the 180 drive.
    Any feedback from current or past Compass owners is appreciated.

I don't own one - I have a Revo 13 - but I used one on a long outing last summer in NC. It handles great but the seat is nightmarishly uncomfortable, and for me, it only took about an hour to get to the Stephen King level of horror. And I was out with a friend for about 6 hours. Other than that...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

I haven’t owned the compass, but I do know the 2021 model year is the first year the compass will come with the 180 drive. The first year or two they came with the gt2 drive. Then featured the kick up fins without the 180. So more then likely if it’s used it will not include the 180. It seems like a solid kayak...but as stated by the previous poster the seat can be a weak point on that kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

You can’t go wrong with Hobie. But keep in mind that you may end up spending more money rigging up the Compass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

You want a serious fishing Hobie, and have the cheese to drop, get an Outback, Revo or a PA.

That is all.

J

Jim McFalls
          MSG US Army Retired
          US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
          2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
          2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
          Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
          YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

$.02..Don’t own any of what you guys are discussing but whatever you do please make sure it’s comfortable!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McFalls View Post
              I don't own one - I have a Revo 13 - but I used one on a long outing last summer in NC. It handles great but the seat is nightmarishly uncomfortable, and for me, it only took about an hour to get to the Stephen King level of horror. And I was out with a friend for about 6 hours. Other than that...

The 2018 Compass has a Vantage seat right? Curious how you found it uncomfortable. I have an Outback with Vantage CTW seat and sometimes I do find it getting a little uncomfortable, but I've only had it out a few times so I might just need to get used to it. Also it has been cold each time I've used it so I had many layers on which is restrictive and uncomfortable already.
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                The 2018 Compass has a Vantage seat right?
                I have a 2018 Compass. No 180 drive, no reverse, just the good old standard drive. No Vantage seat either. I'm sure the seat is not as comfortable as the Vantage, but I haven't found it to be uncomfortable though I did add seat risers that give just a little more height and comfort. The seat is just a mesh chair that if properly installed, I think is just fine.

I went with the Compass rather than the much nicer Outback for cost and weight. I got my 2018 Compass substantially discounted from a dealer as the 2019's were being released.
                Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
                2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

I have a 2021 Compass on-order and am waiting for delivery. I test-drove it and the Outback. I had the money saved (and my wife's blessing) to buy either but I chose the cheaper one, but not primarily for cost. I chose the one that fits what I want better and felt more comfortable overall.

First, I thought the Compass handled better and was a lot lighter - a big consideration for me because I car-top it.

The most important thing though was that I liked the overall feel of it. The Compass feels roomier to me, is just as stable as the Outback, and it allows me to carry the poles and limited amount of gear I'm used to without the extra rails and molded plastic features that I probably wouldn't use. I don't take much gear out on the Tarpon, just a box of lures and a pole or two. A main reason for switching from the Tarpon is so that I can troll more and be lazier about it (peddle, not paddle). I can easily put a couple rods out with the gear tracks of the Compass.

I was a little concerned about the seat. It wasn't as comfortable as the one on the Outback, but it wasn't bad. I know it could become a lot more of a problem after 4-6 hours but I've seen some videos with advice on how to avoid the problem of being bothered by the bar at the bottom by either sitting on a boat cushion or adjusting the lumbar support strap.

C.J.

Comment

Kayak seats are highly variable when it comes to comfort but I think that depends mostly on the tolerances of the person sitting in it. I say that because I have owned kayaks from Jackson, Native, Wilderness Systems and Hobie and never found one with an uncomfortable seat. Yet, I've known folks with the same boats who struggled with their seats, using cushions, gel pads and other aids to make them more comfortable.

I will say this about Hobie's Vantage seat. During my second year of ownership, it developed an annoying squeak with each stroke of the pedals. It took me a while to locate it. The seat's mesh material stretched just enough under my weight to rub on the forward plastic cross bar in the base of the seat as my legs moved up and down while pedaling. I'm no lightweight but I'm not obese either. I'm 140 pounds under the boat's weight limits. As far as I know, there is no way to tighten the mesh of the seat. I corrected the problem by wrapping a small towel on the crossbar before each outing. Even with the stretch, I do not find the seat uncomfortable. With the exception of the towel, I've made no adjustments to the Vantage seat other than initially setting the angle of the recline. I never touch the lumbar support but I suspect that is a nice feature for some.

So even with the "best" of Hobie's seats there can be issues.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I won one in 2018...used it some...intended for my Daughter who has shown little interest- rigged exactly the same as my Outback, that I won in a raffle drawing, too...my observation- it is lighter, great smooth, calm water boat, very nimble and plenty fast with turbo fins installed. Standard GT Mirage Drive- no 180 drive...the rudder system is different than the Fold and Stow Sailing rudder of my Outback, which I prefer. If i had to, I could be very satisfied to only have the Compass to fish out of. It is a Hobie; it has quality features. The seat is different but still fine...once properly installed and adjusted for me. The very first trip in the Compass I caught a 30 inch Striper on a top water popper...it is a lucky boat, but it isn't Lady Luck...I prefer my Outback over anything I have fished out of.
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-21-2021, 09:03 AM.
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for this review ronaultmtd. The phase "great smooth, calm water boat" has me a bit concerned. Can you expand on that? Do you have stability/safety concerns about it? For example, would you feel comfortable taking it fish the CBBT on a decent day?

C.J.

Comment

It has a low bow without a rocker. I got into some sloppy chop with mine, never felt in danger but lot more water in the cockpit than my Outback...new Outbacks have pretty much the same bow design as the Compass. The 2015- 2018 Outbacks are much sought after for guys who do a lot of surf launches. The low bow and the hatch seals are the major drawback of the new Outback in heavy ocean. The Compass has a different hatch system that is totally waterproof. The Compass and the 2019- Outbacks Pretty much share the same rudder system. I would describe the Compass as an "budget" Outback with many less bells and whistles- if the features are worth it to you- get the Outback. Otherwise, the quality of a Hobie shines throughout. The hands free fishing, the power of leg propelled Mirage Drive where you can easily maintain a steady 3-3.5 mph speed all day long of steady trolling without undue fatigue sold me along time ago...I bought my first 2010 Outback (olive green "Ugly Duckling") in 2011 from an Army helicopter pilot headed off to Afghanistan for $1500...best investment in fishing I ever made!
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

C.J.,

I'm certain your Compass will be fine. There is no perfect kayak that will ideally meet every fishing situation. But each of the big name fishing kayak makers discussed on this forum produce fine boats that will accommodate most fishing situations. You will learn the good features and the nuances of your Compass in short order and you will manage them accordingly. Then all those small concerns you had during your research prior to your purchase will slip away as you enjoy your boat outing after outing.

If there is a major reason why you cannot use it where you'd like to, I guarantee that there is another kayak that will be fine but will have shortcomings while using it in another setting. Again, there is no fishing kayak perfect for all uses. Yet, the majority of the fishing kayaks mentioned in this forum can function safely in all the areas discussed most frequently as long the users are smart about launching them in appropriate weather and water surface conditions.

As to the Compass, I have never pedaled one but I like its design. It copied the bow of the Hobie Revo which is an excellent rough water boat that slices through waves with ease. But the Compass has more beam that some anglers find comforting with added stability and storage. Also, I believe Hobie was wise to introduce a lower cost pedal boat to its line. Not everyone needs the 180 Mirage Drive, a fancy seat and extra rod holders. I pedaled a 2012 Revo for years without those things and caught plenty of fish in it. I have the 180 drive on my 2018 Revo but given how I use the it in larger open waters, I rarely need to go in reverse. In fact, in the beginning on those occasions when I did go in reverse, I picked up my paddle out of habit, forgetting I could shift into reverse.

So, I wish you much luck with your Compass. It's a good boat from a major maker that will open up a world of fishing opportunities to you.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've had my Compass out at the CBBT, in the Atlantic off the coast of Florida, and on Lake Erie. I suppose there might be better boats for these waters, but I don't have the slightest complaint about how the Compass handled them, even in rough times. There is a Compass owner's Facebook group that can tell you all you'd ever want to know.
                              Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
                              2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Working...
                              X