New Fishing Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fishing Book

It has been too cold for me to fish for the past month. Instead, I spent four weeks working on a new fishing book -- “The Way I Like to Fish - A Kayak Angler’s Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing”. This book focuses on the ways I actually fish and the gear I actually use as of the start of 2021. It also includes 65 pages on how I set up my kayak for fishing.

The book is 279 pages long. It has about 275 photos, a few tables, and 30 fishing and gear tip writeups that are set out from the main text in separate boxes.

It is available in two versions. One has color photos and looks really sharp. But the printing cost for color are much higher. The second version uses black and white photos and is less expensive. They both have the same information.

Both versions are available on Amazon, which sets their minimum cost ($34.99 for the color version and $17.99 for the black and white version). Go to Amazon and type in "John Veil" (with the quote marks).

If you want a copy of the book signed by me, you can order direct from me and save a few bucks ($25 for the color version and $12 for the black in white -- add $4 if you want it mailed in the continental U.S.).

front cover image.jpg TOC.jpg

John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

This is great timing for me John. I'm 1/2 way done with your book "Fishing in Your Comfort Zone". I'm on the section where you talk about light tackle trolling from your kayak. So far my favorite thing about that book though is your focus on finding the kind of fishing that clicks for you as an individual. The variety of fish and fishing to be had in the bay can be overwhelming. I like the approach you suggest of finding the one(s) that feel most rewarding.

How can I order a copy of your new book directly from you?

C.J.

Tarpon 14

Comment

Thanks for sharing! This sounds like a great book and I will check it out on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by boque View Post
        This is great timing for me John. I'm 1/2 way done with your book "Fishing in Your Comfort Zone". I'm on the section where you talk about light tackle trolling from your kayak. So far my favorite thing about that book though is your focus on finding the kind of fishing that clicks for you as an individual. The variety of fish and fishing to be had in the bay can be overwhelming. I like the approach you suggest of finding the one(s) that feel most rewarding.

How can I order a copy of your new book directly from you?

C.J.

Tarpon 14
        Thanks for the kind remarks. The new book went live yesterday afternoon on Amazon. If you want a copy immediately, order from them. As the author, I can order books at a lower cost and then resell them. Yesterday I ordered a carton of the books -- mostly the black and white version and a few of the color version. They will arrive at my home in about 2 weeks. Once they are here, you can pick them up at my home in Annapolis (cash payment), or I can mail them out to you for an extra $4 charge.

For the mailing option, you can either send me a check or pay via PayPal. I can provide my address and PayPal account details through a pmail.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We are never too old to learn from another fisherman's "how they do it" methods...I am just too trifling lazy to write about my experiences...hats off to all our authors on the Forum!
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Congratulations John.

I wish you as many sales as Severn white perch you have hooked over the years.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Congratulations John.

I wish you as many sales as Severn white perch you have hooked over the years.
              Thanks Mark. As you know from your own author experience, few of us amateur writers ever sell large numbers of books or make much money from selling books. Those who are successful spend a huge amount of time and effort in marketing and self-promotion. I am not willing to do that, and hope that I can sell at least a few copies. I tried to price this one lower than my first fishing book, even though the new one has more pages, more photos, and much more info. I did not write it with the goal of making a lot of money, but there is satisfaction in seeing your name on the cover of a published book.

Regarding the Severn white perch, it would take getting my book featured by Oprah to sell that many copies. I think I am a better perch fisherman than book marketer.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

John,

I understand completely. There is indeed great personal satisfaction in composing your thoughts in book form. But unless you're John Grisham or even John Gierach who has a nice fly angler niche market, there's little money it for the author. The distributers do much better than we do as self-published authors.

I get 51 cents for every $15 book I sell on Amazon. Mr. Bezos gets roughly $6 the best I can figure after printing costs. Guess I should have started by selling used books out of my garage like he did instead of writing my own.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

Regarding the Severn white perch, it would take getting my book featured by Oprah to sell that many copies. I think I am a better perch fisherman than book marketer.

Y'know the satisfaction of being able to put your thoughts down in writing is a skill comparable to the making of fishing lures that I do for my own satisfaction.

But in regards to writing vs. marketing vs. fishing, there is no doubt which is the most satisfying activity.

4z209o.jpg
                  Last edited by bignose; 02-22-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the new book! Writing and putting out a quality product takes a TON OF TIME!! It's great that we have a growing community of those that like sharing what they know.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Congrats John. As usual, the next time that I see you, I will get an autograph copy to add to the rest of my collection of your books.
                      MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                      2016 Hobie Outback LE
                      Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                        Congrats John. As usual, the next time that I see you, I will get an autograph copy to add to the rest of my collection of your books.

Martin - I included a photo of your red Hobie I had taken in 2012 to illustrate some accessories you had with you that day. The photo is on page 90 of the book.

006 cropped.jpg
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          Martin - I included a photo of your red Hobie I had taken in 2012 to illustrate some accessories you had with you that day. The photo is on page 90 of the book.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27243[/ATTACH]
                          Lol... now I have to get a copy of your book. Whenever you are in the Annapolis area I can meet you on the weekend.
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                            Lol... now I have to get a copy of your book. Whenever you are in the Annapolis area I can meet you on the weekend.
                            Martin -- I have a carton of books on order. They should arrive between March 5 and 10. We can meet after that, or I can mail the book to you.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis

Comment

No problem.
                              2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Working...
                              X