New 11' paddle kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 11' paddle kayak

Many on this forum want to fish from pedal-powered kayaks. There are good reasons for that. But others prefer simple paddle kayaks, either as their primary kayak or for use in other settings. Native Watercraft now has a new 11' paddle kayak available -- the Falcon 11. It incorporates many features found in newer more expensive kayaks, while still being light enough for easy on-land handling. The Falcon 11 offers built in storage compartments, a high/low frame seat, multiple gear tracks, two flush mount rod holders, a transducer pod space, floor padding to enable standing, and a sturdy wheel on the stern to allow rolling across parking lots or down ramps (my older Manta Ray 11 has this wheel -- I love it).

falcon 11.jpg

Here is a link to a walk-through video made by a Native Pro Staff team member who works with a kayak shop in South Carolina. He does a good job showing the many features. One thing that needs to be corrected is the weight of the kayak -- he says it is 55 lbs, but Native management says it is more like 65 lbs.)

https://www.facebook.com/raymond.lap...21635042202986
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I'm curious why its not on their website?

Comment

Originally posted by pbharvey View Post
      I'm curious why its not on their website?
      I too am curious. Apparently that dealer in SC got at least two of them to sell, but they are the only ones I have heard of getting to dealers. Hopefully something will show up soon on the website.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's a nice looking boat. It's like they kept some of the best features of the older Slayer (skeg wheel rules!), incorporated some nice features from the newer Slayer Max (transducer pod is a very nice touch, though it looks very bulky inside the cockpit), and just trimmed the fat overall. For the $850 price tag it seems like a really good deal! If only it were actually 55 lbs that would be awesome.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Sadly, Native has discontinued its Ultimate 12, a wonderful fishing platform for paddlers that actually comes in under 55 pounds.

However, it is not an SOT which many kayak anglers prefer. Yet, it is seaworthy, fast and offers plenty of deck space and storage. I use mine far more than my Hobie.

Native has continued the Ultimate FX (a nicely upgraded Ultimate) for the time being and I hope they continue to do so. But I worry. It's also great fishing kayak, slightly heavier than the Ultimate but still well under 65 pounds. Like its first cousin the Ultimate, it is not an SOT. I hope that they will not give up on the FX too.

My concern with Native when they discontinue a model is their willingness to offer product support. Several of the ancillary items they used to sell for Ultimates are no longer marketed. The Ultimate 12 and 145 (also discontinued) has unique seating platform. Should mine break, with no ready source for repair parts, I may be unable to use an otherwise fantastic boat. I wrote to the Native and asked specifically about product support for the Ultimate. I got no reply.

Ultimately, no pun intended, sales dictate Native's product decisions. But I wish they would put as much effort into marketing and supporting an excellent model they've already produced instead of putting another 65 pound SOT fishing kayak on the market. Many companies already make those.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The development of new materials in the construction of Kayaks is key to making lighter, stronger more durable boats. The trend to the biggest, heavier, wider kayaks marketed today are really just small skiffs...And they are priced like small skiffs...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              The development of new materials in the construction of Kayaks is key to making lighter, stronger more durable boats. The trend to the biggest, heavier, wider kayaks marketed today are really just small skiffs...And they are priced like small skiffs...
              I say bring back Jackson Kraken 15.5 best paddling yak for fishing Chesapeake and coastal bays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                I say bring back Jackson Kraken 15.5 best paddling yak for fishing Chesapeake and coastal bays.

I don't keep up on what kayaks are on the market, but I looked up the one you mentioned. Now I want one, haha.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                  I don't keep up on what kayaks are on the market, but I looked up the one you mentioned. Now I want one, haha.
                  Not to get this off topic but I herd from Jim Sammons on a podcast that Jackson still will make you a kraken upon request but don’t actively carry it at dealers. I got a kraken 13.5 and it really is an amazing kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

The Falcon 11 is now shown on the Native Watercraft website. Falcon 11 -Fishing Kayak - Native Watercraft The weight of the hull is listed at 60 lbs. With the frame seat installed, the weight is 65 lbs. I have not seen one in person or used one yet, but it looks like a good lightweight paddle kayak with many features.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
                      Not to get this off topic but I herd from Jim Sammons on a podcast that Jackson still will make you a kraken upon request but don’t actively carry it at dealers. I got a kraken 13.5 and it really is an amazing kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Well I could not get Jackson to make one I did find a new 2017 demo at Green Top Sports in Richmond. Have 2 Kraken 15.5’s so if anyone wants to see what your missing?

Comment

Was at a Bass Pro Shop wearing my Maryland Kayak Fishing hoodie...young man asks me about kayaks- total newbie...He was looking at a sit inside el cheapo entry level...when we started talking I asked him about his expectations..."something to get me off the bank and in deeper water"...it is funny that everyone always seems to think fishing close to the bank is a bad thing...until they get a boat and fish the shoreline...anyway, we talked for a few minutes while my wife visited the bathroom...He was not going to buy anything right then, so I advised him to do some research, think about exactly what he wanted to do with his kayak, what kind of fishing he would do and to look at a wide variety of kayaks before he purchased any. Told him peddle kayaks were much more expensive than paddle kayaks, but offered some real advantages in power, speed and most important- hands free fishing. Left him with a quizzical look on his face as my wife joined me for my birthday...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                        X