Vibe Shearwater 125 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibe Shearwater 125 Review

My wife and I each picked up Vibe's newest fishing kayak, the Shearwater 125, back in May of last year. Ours were actually part of the special pre-order boats, part of the first batch made. After fishing in all sorts of conditions over the past 9 months, I figured I would write a short review for anyone who may be interested in this boat.

My main reason for this purchase was to upgrade to a pedal-driven kayak. I had been fishing out of a Vibe Sea Ghost 130, which was an excellent fishing platform, but the benefits of fishing from a pedal-driven boat are well-documented. One of the main selling points of the Shearwater 125 is the ability to paddle, pedal, or attach the electric Bixpy kayak motor to the rudder (which the rudder is pre-drilled for). Due to shipping delays during the beginning of the pandemic, the Vibe X-Drive pedal system, which is identical to the Hobie V2 Mirage Drive, didn't arrive until mid-summer. While disappointing, it did give me an opportunity to paddle this boat quite a bit. Despite being an inch wider and a completely different hull shape, I didn't notice any difference paddling this boat vs. my Sea Ghost 130.

Pros:
    Stability - This kayak is extremely stable. It comes with padded standing perches on the gunwales just forward of the seat. It has an optional standing perch that can be added to the back of the seat, which provides a 16" elevated surface for improved sigh fishing. I didn't go with the standing perch, but others see to really like it.
    3ED7FF00-6556-4EC3-921F-E503B84280DF.jpg

Speed/Tracking - Fishing alongside others, I didn't notice any difference in pedaling or paddling speed, and it tracks very well in all conditions.

Storage Space - This kayak has more open storage space than I'll ever need. It also comes with 4 flush mount rod holders that angle rods straight backwards, as opposed to out to the side. This makes it much easier to operate in close proximity to structure or other kayaks without worrying about breaking a rod. It also includes 4 horizontal rod storage slots along the gunwales, and a sliding storage tray mounted underneath the seat.
    0DD832C2-EC0E-4D02-BAD9-B784F894EBAC.jpg

Seat - One of the most important considerations for any kayak, I've found the Shearwater seat to be the most comfortable seat I've encountered.

Pedal Pod - The centerline pod that holds the pedals in place can be swapped out quickly with the base pod if you decide to leave the pedals at home. There is also and optional dry storage pod that can be substituted for the base pod. I really like the versatility of this design.
    27A57A72-A602-4D75-94F6-C27F62956A3B.jpg

Electronics Pod - Probably my favorite feature of this kayak. Forward of the pedals is a dry storage box with brass inserts on the bottom for mounting a transducer. This box allows for your depthfinder screen, battery, and transducer to be kept in in one piece that can be removed/installed in seconds.
    2A9A7B69-9983-4840-AF2D-FBAE59A102DA.jpg

Cons:

Bow Height - The bow sits a little low in the water, so any kind of chop will make for a wet ride. Personally, this doesn't bother me at all, as I don't ever expect to stay dry. The boat handles chop well and bails water instantly.

Hull weight - This thing is every bit of the 82 lb advertised weight. Again, not a huge issue for me, but something to consider.

Seat Clips - The clips that hold the seat in are flimsy and can work their way loose. Yakhobby.com makes a sturdier version that works much better, but it would be nice if they came with these from the factory.

Replaceable keel - The boat comes with a replaceable keel that allows you to drag it without fear of damage. However, the one on this boat is too short, making it easy to scratch the hull. I added a 1/2 inch piece of cutting board material in between the replaceable keel and where it mounts to the hull, which solved the problem.

Front Gear Tracks - The front gear tracks end up being a good distance from the seat if you decide to go with the pedal drive system. I do a lot of trolling, so I had to buy extensions for my rod holders to be able to reach them while still seated.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Shearwater 125 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality pedal drive kayak at an affordable price. The Cons I listed are all relatively minor and, more importantly, easily fixable. In my opinion, it is one of the best values on the market right now at $1399 for the base model and $1899 for the kayak and pedal drive system. The kayak has a lifetime hull warranty, and the pedal drive comes with a 5-year warranty.

C1DB8BF7-F78E-4F65-B731-FAEC2087D20F.jpg CFC3BFD2-56E3-4E4E-9F28-8E319D9019FF.jpg DCC605E3-50B1-4C0F-BDA7-FF66DF242EC1.jpg 3ABB96A3-A4AC-4AA8-B9A2-A6DE59A04170.jpg
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Joe,

That's an excellent review.

Very clear and informative.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great writeup. Everyone I've heard from who's fished from one of these new boats seems to like it a lot! I did not know about the "self contained" electronics pod - THAT is a cool feature.
      Last edited by dsaavedra; 03-01-2021, 04:25 PM.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

The Price is Right. I’d have bid $3000 based on this write up.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I really wanted their ‘galaxy’ colorway that was limited edition for preorder only. so I went with old town[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

Originally posted by YakMonkey View Post
            I really wanted their ‘galaxy’ colorway that was limited edition for preorder only. so I went with old town[emoji16]

It’s funny you mention that, they just announced that color will become a permanent offering for the Shearwater. How do you like the Old Town?
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
              The kayak has a lifetime hull warranty, and the pedal drive comes with a 5-year warranty.
              Not knocking the Vibe but there is a difference between a Lifetime Warranty and a Limited Lifetime warranty which this is what this has.

"Vibe provides a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty for defects on all new kayak and cooler purchases and (1) one year on attached parts. This warranty covers only Vibe products that are purchased from an authorized Vibe dealer. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser and may not be transferred. Proof of purchase must be presented at the time of the warranty claim. Normal wear and tear is not warranted.
              This warranty only covers manufacturing defects that affect the performance of the product. This warranty does not cover kayaks sold in “as is” condition, demo kayaks or prototypes. Vibe is not responsible for any damages to persons or items incurred due to unsecured Vibe products during transport or usage, and this warranty does not cover these instances.

This warranty does not cover any damage that may be a result of:

Normal wear and tear (including scuppers)
              Rolling or flipping the kayak
              Heat, extreme weather or environmental conditions
              Excessive exposure to sunlight
              Unauthorized modification or repairs including hollowing out the center console
              Accident, neglect, improper use or handling
              Improper storage, maintenance or care
              Use in commercial, rental or teaching environments
              Sharp objects or dragging over rough surfaces
              Being towed by power or sail boats
              Scupper carts, stake out poles, or other objects placed in scupper holes
              This warranty does not cover cosmetic defects such as surface pitting, color variations or minor weld marks."

Comment

I guess I should have been more specific. You are correct that it is a limited lifetime warranty, which is similar to what most other kayak manufacturers offer. The point I wanted to emphasize was that they stand by their product despite being on the lower end of the pedal kayak cost spectrum. One thing I forgot to mention was their customer service, which has been excellent in my experience. I’ve submitted a handful of warranty claims for parts over the years, and in each case the replacements arrived on my porch within a few days.
                Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Vibe Shearwater 125 Review

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                  It’s funny you mention that, they just announced that color will become a permanent offering for the Shearwater. How do you like the Old Town?
                  HA! I see that 2021 shearwater has galaxy color. I love my old town. I have ZERO complaints. But Shearwater with hobie drive would be nice. I would go for shearwater just for the color LOL

Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

Working...
                  X