storing spinning rods in my van for a driving trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storing spinning rods in my van for a driving trip

A while ago, someone started a post about how to store one-piece fishing rods in their vehicle without damaging the rods or having tangles. Various solutions were suggested. I am planning a three-week driving trip to Florida at the end of the month. I plan to bring five or six 6' or 6'6" spinning rods with me. I want to store them in a way that avoids tangles or damaged rod tips, and minimizes rattling noises. In keeping with my philosophy of looking for homemade, inexpensive solutions first, here is my solution for the trip.

I am using thick cardboard tubes cut to 45" long. Most are 2.5" or 3" diameter. You can get this type of tube at a tackle shop (some of the rods they purchase come in those tubes) or at a carpet store (the tubes are placed inside a roll of carpet). Generally these stores will give them to you for free. The first photo shows one I got at Marty's Tackle Shop this morning. It was longer than I needed, so I cut it to length.

2020-08-11-001.jpg

To keep the tubes from rolling around, I placed one end in a cardboard box of a size that holds the tubes securely. I slid a second cardboard box with the bottom folded back onto the tube bundle to keep the outer ends from flopping around. I may modify that design and use a strap instead. The second photo shows the boxes and tubes in place on the floor of my minivan.

2020-08-11-007.jpg 2020-08-11-002.jpg

I slid the spinning rods inside the tubes. The 45" tube length covers the tip and all the guides. At the time the photo was taken, the white tube was a few inches too long. I cut it to the correct size a moment later. It has only a 2" diameter and will be used for one of my smaller rods.

2020-08-11-004.jpg

That takes care of the rods, but does create a scratching and rattling concern from the reels. I can lay some type of padding between the lower three reels and the upper two reels. It could be a towel, or as shown in the picture, my gel seat cushion.

2020-08-11-005.jpg

I used a similar system two years ago and found it to work well.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Best of luck on your trip, know you are anxious to fish Florida waters.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Looks good John.

Since I started using a pickup truck in lieu of cartopping my kayak on my van last summer, the thing I miss the most is the secure, safe storage of my rods during transport. I could keep all my rods fully strung, even my 9 foot flyrods, inside my van. They were easy to reach and ready to go when I reached the water. Now I break down the fly rods and store them behind my seat. My one-piece spinning rods I store in my open truck bed, which I really don't like to do. But I sure do not miss lifting my boats to the roof of my Sienna. Just another tradeoff among many in kayak fishing.

I'm sure you'll have another great trip south.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I cannot wait to hear about your trip John. I would love to do a 3 week Florida driving fishing trip one day. Right now my SUV is being repaired for broken hatchback door hinges that finally gave up do to rust after 17 years. Yes, 17 years and the old Honda Pilot is still running well. It is the vehicle of choice when I have to car top on short local trips. So I ended up buying a Honda Odyssey that I love. I use it for longer day trips and overnight trips. Both vehicles are outfitted to pull a kayak trailer when available. Yes, it is nice not having to lift the kayak onto the roof as mentioned before, but some areas that I like to explore and fish are not conducive or forbidden from using a trailer. I recently got a set of used Hullavators that I plan to install on the minivan to help assist in getting the kayak onto my roof. We will see how that goes. At least if will help my minivan park at the cartop locations. Each option has its plus and minuses.
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

A van is a great "fishmobile".

It won't garner second looks at a car show and it has the sex appeal of a slug...which is important to slugs...but you know what I mean.

Yet, as vehicle to securely carry your fishing gear (a bunch of it) and your kayak, a van is top notch.

Like you Martin, I will continue to use my van for overnight kayak trips. For more frequent short trips, my pickup truck bed is a nice alternative.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X