Fish Cleaning Tables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Cleaning Tables?

I recently moved and I’m looking for ideas to replace my fish cleaning setup. I had an old glass outdoor table I got for free that I used. it was easy to clean but too short, so I put some bricks under the legs which helped. I saw some big cheap cutting boards at Sam’s club and I bought two of them thinking I would use them as starboard for another project. I scrapped that idea and now I’m thinking I will make a table.

Wood seems like the easiest base and then I can probably just use a light adhesive along the frame and call it a day. Or, I was thinking to use some pvc or conduit so the frame lasts longer exposed on my back porch.

Has anyone done something similar? I don’t bring a lot of fish home, except perch and the occasional snakehead or striper. But it’s perch season...
    Used to fish more.

Look at folding utility tables used by caterers or market vendors. Plastic or stainless. I like that they can be collapsed and stowed away or conveniently transported.

Comment

Thanks I have some of those I could use for this but I definitely want to make it taller.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

I believe there are some with adjustable leg height.

Comment

Depending on the surface you’re using you could possibly use an ironing board as the base to support your cutting boards. They can be cheap, tons of height adjustability, and fold up quickly for easy storage. Only thing they lack is a lot of width, most 15 to 16 inches wide.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I bought a 4' folding table with the height adjustable to 36" at Home Depot. Then got a 24 x 36" commercial grade cutting board to put on top of it. I'm 6'4" and its fine for my height.

Comment

I built my fish cleaning table maybe ten years ago or so...Used pressure treated "yellow wood" 2x4" and 3/4 inch marine grade plywood top...used deck screws...it stays outside all the time...cleaned hundreds of fish on it...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Does this need for a cleaning table mean you're no longer the "Guy who used to fish more."

Comment

I still fish! Just not as much as I used to... perch are biting in the creeks and fish tacos were on the menu tonight!

Ron, I think that’s what I want to do. If you were making it again, what would you do differently?
                  Attached Files
                  Used to fish more.

Comment

What would I do differently? Not much...the table is still very useable, and has stood the test of time...the design is very simple, robust and strong. The pressure treated wood takes the weather just like a deck. And screws never loosen up unlike nails.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I made one from wood and found some cutting board material in the trash. I then built my table from used deck boards and stainless screws. Painted it and laid the cutting board material on the top and countersunk 4 stove head screws. Put a old hose connection on it and hung it on the side. All used stuff except the screws and paint. A good idea is to build a shelf into the legs as it will make it sturdy.

Screwed it down to my dock 8 years ago.

Also used that cutting board that was not used to build a cleaning table in the tailgate of my truck. Perfect height BTW.

Capt Mike

Comment

I’ve seen that one in action, but I can’t remember the layout. I like the idea of the drain and it has me thinking about the waste and attracting critters... a dock would be better so I could feed the crabs.
                        Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          I’ve seen that one in action, but I can’t remember the layout. I like the idea of the drain and it has me thinking about the waste and attracting critters... a dock would be better so I could feed the crabs.
                          I've seen a few with a "drain" that is simply a hole over a 5 gallon bucket. I've not yet built one but will likely do something like that when/if I do as there is no owning a dock anywhere in my short term future.
                          -Justin

Comment

For a heavy-duty installation, see if you can find a stainless steel restaurant sink with a side drainage area. You can run permanent plumbing or just attach a hose. The drain in the sink can go directly into the water off of a dock. I had a friend who had that setup at a waterfront home in St Jeromes Creek. With Covid causing major disruption to restaurants, you may be able to find one salvaged from a bankrupt business. Or look online for used restaurant fixtures.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              For a heavy-duty installation, see if you can find a stainless steel restaurant sink with a side drainage area. You can run permanent plumbing or just attach a hose. The drain in the sink can go directly into the water off of a dock. I had a friend who had that setup at a waterfront home in St Jeromes Creek. With Covid causing major disruption to restaurants, you may be able to find one salvaged from a bankrupt business. Or look online for used restaurant fixtures.
                              I see these pop up on Craigslist from time to time and always think they'd make the best fish cleaning stations, especially if you plumbed them. Man that would be deluxe! Even just setting one up within reach of a hose would be a pretty good setup, better than a plastic cutting board on a picnic table which is what I currently use.
                              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
                              X