Spinning Reel Recommendations Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning Reel Recommendations Requested

Last season was one of best years of fishing in my life and a lot of it has to do with guidance I have received from members of this forum....so, thank you :--)

My two primary rods are both Ugly Sticks. A 6'6" ultralight and a 6'6" medium action. Does anyone have any reel recommendations for each of these rods? I fish mostly tidal water and some fresh. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

UnkleRob

Check out Pflueger President reels in sizes 20, 25 or 30. They are not high-end, high-cost but would match nicely with Ugly Sticks. Should cost about $60 each. They're very smooth and reliable. I've used them here in the mid-Bay region for years in both tidal and freshwater for perch to stripers and every species in between. I've never had one fail me.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Spinning Reel Recommendations Requested

I have President reel paired with 6 3 medium ugly stick. They pair nicely. Lenny Rudow from Fish talk mag mentioned Piscifun carbon X reel being surprisingly good. ($100 reg, but they are on sale now) I would go for Daiwa bg, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by YakMonkey; 03-13-2021, 04:12 PM.
      Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

I haven’t bought a pflueger in years after having two president reels corrode out on me. I’m happy to hear the others have had good luck. You didn’t say your price range but the Shimano Sienna reels (500 or 1000 for UL and 2500-3000 for the medium) is a good deal for $30. The next rung up I’d go with the penn fierce. Good luck this season!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Since you are using them in salt water I feel you have to spend at least $100 on a reel for it to last. Diawa bg was mentioned I have never owned one but from what I have read they are good reels. They are a little heavy which is ok for some. For a 2500 or a 3000 size reel which is the size reels I use I would get a Diawa Fuego that is lighter weight. I use Shimano stradics which are a bit pricey but very nice reels. If you are doing any jigging I would not use your ugly sticks for that. They tend to have a slow power, that is they bend near the handle and not more towards the tip. I also feel they aren't making ugly sticks like they used to. I was fishing with my nephew recently and he broke his brand new ugly stick just below the fiberglass part of the tip.

Comment

Thank you Everyone

Thank you everyone. This is a great start. I just ordered a Pflueger President (which I had never hear of before). I am looking forward to giving it a proper test drive soon. Thanks again!!

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Check out Pflueger President reels in sizes 20, 25 or 30. They are not high-end, high-cost but would match nicely with Ugly Sticks. Should cost about $60 each. They're very smooth and reliable. I've used them here in the mid-Bay region for years in both tidal and freshwater for perch to stripers and every species in between. I've never had one fail me.

Comment

I think most of my setups are Plueger Presidents and Penn Fierces or Penn Battles. I want to say the Penn's have held up for me a little better, but I've gotten a few years out of them all with barely any maintenance. I probably kayak fished 15 times last summer, mostly in the bay or near the bay and that's a better than average year for me. Definitely not the highest quality gear out there, but they match fine with my ugly sticks and other similar rods and I've caught plenty of fish.
              Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
              Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

Comment

I just bought my son a 6.5 foot medium light St. Croix Triumph rod and a size 30 President for his birthday.

I've owned and used two of those setups reliably here for years for perch and stripers in tidal creeks and bass and picks in ponds.

The combo is a nice size for those fish in our nearby waters -- not too heavy and not too light for the range of sizes in those fish. And overall, not an expensive setup.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The President is a good reel. I have a few and like the price point on them. However I am still in love with my Quantum PT's Cabo's. They are 9 years old now (i think) and all 8 of them work great.
                  Also have some Smoke PT and two awesome Speed Freak PT's. PT's are not cheap..

Capt Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X