Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for Fishing Destination this Saturday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Fishing Destination this Saturday?

Good afternoon everyone,

I am planning to go fishing on Saturday. I was planning to go to Fletcher's, but the lastest report says that the water level at Little Falls has risen a couple feet and that the river is swift and muddy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative spot that is 1 hour or less away from the College Park area? I would prefer tidal fishing or at least not a lake with hydrilla.

Thank you,

UnkleRob

Wind and temperatures on Saturday not ideal by any means. It’s more like 90 minutes but St Mary’s Lake has been fishing the best I’ve seen it in a couple years. With NW wind you’ll be protected on far shore from the ramp, up lake from ramp has been the best and that shore and coves good. I haven’t fished Rocky Gorge or Tridelphia in ages but they’d be closer. I always found them difficult to fish.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Wind and temperatures on Saturday not ideal by any means. It’s more like 90 minutes but St Mary’s Lake has been fishing the best I’ve seen it in a couple years. With NW wind you’ll be protected on far shore from the ramp, up lake from ramp has been the best and that shore and coves good. I haven’t fished Rocky Gorge or Tridelphia in ages but they’d be closer. I always found them difficult to fish.
      it'll be a little chilly but windfinder is predicting single digit winds for saturday- that's not bad. I'll liekly be heading out as well- only places i've been out at so far this year are jug bay and mattawoman but i'll be leaving from the college park area as well
      -Justin

Comment

Does St. Mary's Lake have hydrilla? I have not become competent at weedless fishing and hydrilla is my arch nemesis. I would almost rather not go fishing than to have to clean off my lure after every cast. Thank you for the suggestions.

Comment

UncleRob2020,

Soft plastics with the hook point buried just below the surface of the plastics make lure presentations in hydrilla, spatterdock and lily pads both easy and effective.

Fluke2 (2).jpg

A bead or two in the front will help the lure to deflect from the vegetation.

In lieu of that approach casting to the edges of the vegetation can draw fish out. Cast outside in. That is, make 3 or 4 casts, getting closer to the edge of the vegetation each time. But don't pound an area. If a few casts don't work, move on to another spot.

A crank and pause retrieve works well on the edges and in the midst of the growth.

I use both techniques, casting into the middle of the vegetation and working the edges. You won't be cleaning your lure often but you will be removing fish from it because bass, pickerels and snakeheads love hiding in the cover of weeds.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thank you Mark. I am planning to give soft plastics at St. Mary's a try tomorrow. I won't ever get better at fishing them if I don't practice. I appreciate the advice and the encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
              Thank you Mark. I am planning to give soft plastics at St. Mary's a try tomorrow. I won't ever get better at fishing them if I don't practice. I appreciate the advice and the encouragement.
              Excellent.

It's a good technique. I wish you well.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

St Mary’s Lake is largely weed less. There is some bottom growth you’d find in any lake and lily pads way in the back of arms. The one thing you need to aware of, especially if you have a pedal drive is trees that lurk just below the surface. There are 5 clusters of standing trees they left behind when they built the lake. Very few still have the tops protruding above the water. If you see a tree top there are dozens of deadheads surrounding them, out to 50 yards from what you see. Go slow in those areas. Best of luck to you tomorrow. We’ve been having great success with 3” Gulp swimming minnow in white or chartreuse.
                Mike

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Mike

Comment

well i pulled a muscle in my back putting the stinkin kayak on top of the car last night, so not only am i not going fishing today, but i need to figure out how to get it off of there. hopefully you catch a ton, looking forward to yur report since that's the closest i'm getting to the water today.
                    -Justin

Comment

Justin,

I am sorry to hear about that. did you say you live in College Park? I am willing to try to help you with getting the kayak off of your car.

Comment

Working...
                      X