Fletcher's - 4/10/2021 - A Good Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletcher's - 4/10/2021 - A Good Day

I hit Fletcher's with a buddy last Saturday. While I was launching, I saw guys coming in with some nice catfish. Before I got my line in the water, I watched a guy in a kayak catch and release a rockfish that he said was 23" long. I was excited to be fishing again after a long break.

The shad bite was quite good. I had a lot of setbacks, including birds-nesting both of my reels, losing a double shad dart rig as soon as I cast it because I hadn't checked the knot securing the leader and then, of course, getting hung up on the rocks. My buddy had caught three fish before I was able to get settled. I had become a bit disgruntled and was thinking "this just isn't my day." Thank goodness my luck soon changed for the better. The sun came out and I started catching shad, some of which were very nice size. It turned out to be a beautiful day and even though I didn't catch as many fish as my buddy, I had a great time and was glad to be fishing.

This board is an amazing resource. I have been fishing this area since the 1970's and I have learned a great deal about spots, rigging, technique, etc. from people on Snaggedline over the last few years. I am grateful to all of you.

I am still not sure where I will go tomorrow, but I will be sure to post a report :--)

Sounds like a good day! I used to fish that area a lot when I lived in Arlington and this time of year there also seem to be a lot of snakeheads in that area. It's hard to get them to bite but something to look for at your feet. As for the catfish, we did really well on them by rigging a carolina rig with multiple smaller egg sinkers and letting it roll around. You definitely still snag up, but not as bad it seemed as trying to "anchor a rig" with a more traditional heavy weight. Something to try for while you shad fish and every so often you'll catch a nice striper, especially before the sun comes up.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
    X