Solleys Cove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solleys Cove

I went out last Saturday at Solleys and dropped out if the muddy "ramp". I turned to the right past the VWF and saw a gorgeous new kayak launch. I tried to look up for when and if it's open but can't find anything. Does anyone know? The trip was the first of the year so wasn't expecting much so just trolled around with no luck. Hopefully between the kids sports I'll get out soon. Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Solleys Cove

https://www.facebook.com/80971369908...850078268/?d=n

Maybe this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YakMonkey; 04-23-2021, 12:51 PM.
    Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

A kayak launch in that are would be great news for me. I cannot open the link above. I am one of those people who doesn't have a Facebook account. Does anyone have more information about this new kayak launch?

Comment

It looks finished no more construction at all. All I could find were older articles on it but would love to hit it opening day if they let anyone know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

County Executive Pittman has not been as willing as his immediate predecessors in office to provide convenient access to the 533 miles of shoreline that Anne Arundel County enjoys. In fact, he has thwarted plans of his predecessors to provide more launch points and/or he has reduced the scope of planned improvements at other county waterfront properties. Providing public water access is not a priority of his and it shows in the language of the county's latest general development plan.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

I am really disappointed in Pittman’s lack of effort to improve this issue. As Lisa highly suggested in her previous post, I sent an email to Councilman Nathan Volke. He replied and informed me that there was amendment to address the Open Space vs. Conservation designation on 4/19. Another amendment will deal with the peninsula issue. The real kicker is he mentioned that the GDP is deeply flawed with very little actual planning. I understand that there are higher priorities, however, the GDP will determine “the policy framework to protect the natural environment, shape development of the built environment, provide public services to promote healthy communities, and support a diverse, resilient economy” within the next 20 years. (https://www.aacounty.org/departments...elopment-plan/)

Improved public water access would allow more people to experience nature (which studies say that being outside for 2 hours a day improves our overall health), and the sport fishing industry here in the Chesapeake Bay stimulates our local economy.
            Tim M. Elliott
            Pasadena
            Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

I'm also disappointed Tim.

There are political forces at play in that some of Pittman's strongest support comes from areas that frankly do not want the public to access waters near their communities. Also, I believe he has an anti-development mindset when it comes to improving county-owned water-front properties. Hence the reluctance to provide greater water access on peninsulas (a blow for our interests given that peninsulas in the county are where the water is) and his emphasis on "nature parks" as opposed to more user friendly improvements on those grounds.

The good news is that the county prior to his administration made excellent strides in providing water access. The improvements at Solley Park are an example. But a continuation of like efforts at other sites is unlikely under Pittman's leadership, or worse, a loss of existing sites is not out of the question.

Lisa continues to be a strong voice of water access advocacy. It's good that you responded to her call to involve your local council member.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X