Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of a New Kayak

Good morning,

I am thinking of getting a new kayak. I currently use a sit-in kayak and experience the following issues that I would like to address:

- my legs cramp easily
    - it is hard to access my tackle box
    - there is not much space to tie on new lures, etc.
    - i cannot stand up

On the positive side, I can easily load this kayak on top of my car and I am able to transport two kayaks using a Swiss Cargo dual kayak carrier. I like to be able to bring people with me. I have turned on a few friends to kayak fishing in recent years and i would like to continue to have the option to transport two kayaks, if needed.

I plan to look at the Native Falcon 11. I have a strong attraction to the Hobie Compass but the price point is a bit of a deterrent.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, stable, economical sit on top fishing kayak, that can be easily cartopped?

Also, are there any dealers that allow "test drives" for kayaks, both on the water and just assessing the difficulty of loading in the parking lot?

Thank you,

UnkleRob

Based on your stated requirements, I would recommend a lightweight, sit-on top paddle kayak.

Native Watercraft makes some excellent kayaks. In fact, I pulled the trigger on a pedal-drive and purchased a Native Slayer Propel 10 from a local dealer in early March. As of now, it is considered the lightest PDL kayak on the market. The website states that the hull weight is 62 pounds. However, it feels slightly heavier than that. The second lightest pedal drive kayak would be the Old Town Topwater 106. My fiancé purchased one and on their website, the hull weight is listed as 76 pounds. Our plan is to car-top both side by side, right side up, utilizing Yakima crossbars and hull cradles. Both kayaks ran us $3200 total (the Old Town was purchased used).

Now, you mentioned the Falcon 11. It is a great option for what you require. On the Native website, the listed fitted hull weight is 60 pounds. And based off of John Veil’s review, it is a stable craft with plenty of room for your gear (and your legs). With the seat in the high position, one can stand up with ease. The seat itself is comfortable as well, though it does take some time to find the perfect spot as the straps adjust how far back or forward you want to sit. If you plan on adding electronics, the Falcon 11 also features a center console for a battery and transducer mount.

Another company that makes a lightweight kayak and meets your needs, is Cresent Kayaks. They feature several kayaks that are rigged and ready to fish, and are lightweight as well.

As for dealers that host demos, I am aware of Big Bass USA located in Denton, MD. Chris Leslie, the owner, hosts several during this time of year. Delaware Paddle Sports does also. I purchased my kayak from Chris Dollar, owner of TackleCove and located in Centreville, MD. In Severna Park, there’s Bulldog Schwinn and Sports, who sell Cresent and Old Town kayaks, and 15-20 minutes south of them is Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. You could ask them if they host demos or even to check out some different models in person.

Good luck and keep us updated!
    Tim M. Elliott
    Pasadena
    Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

I second everything Tim said! The Falcon looks like it would suit your needs nicely and I came to recommend Crescent (and their dealer in Severna Park) as an option. They have two models the Lite Tackle and Ultralight (only 49 lbs!) that would probably check all your boxes.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Big Bass USA Saturday May 8th demo day

Comment

I have 2 Lifetime Tamaracks that my twin and I got for a steal right before Sports Authority went out of business. For budget paddle kayaks they have been great. I wanted a better fishing kayak and went ahead and bought the Hobie Passport 10.5. It weighs in at 65 pounds and has been a great starter pedal kayak. After a using the Passport for a year, I went with the Old Town Sportsman PDL 106. The Sportsman 106 is definitely the better fishing kayak of the two. The Passport has a 65 pound hull weight while the Sportsman weighs in at 76. I carry both on top of my Dodge Caravan and the Sportsman is at the upper limit of what I can lift comfortably. I use a 8 foot 2by4 under the crossbar of my roof rack and use it to leverage the kayak up into the jhooks. This way I only have to lift half the weight of the kayak. I saw this on YouTube from some Australian fishing channel. The Old town is more stable and handles big water better. I have taken my Sportsman to the sandbar off Point Lookout and felt comfortable there. I have taken both to Lynhaven Inlet and done well with them. The Passport cost 1400 while the Sportsman was 1999. I bought both from Delaware Paddle sports and it was a great experience both times. I really love the instant reverse of the Old Town PDL compared to the Mirage drive. The customer service of both companies have been outstanding and navarrekayakfishing.com has a ton of accessories and videos for the Old Town line of Kayaks.

Comment

Demo Day tomorrow? I am going to try to check it out. I just spoke to Chris at Big Bass USA. He sounds like a good guy. I have a feeling that I will need some type of load assist device for a kayak like the Falcon 11. I am a small guy and getting the kayak up over the lip of the j-hooks is a bit of a challenge. I usually try to look for a hill to give me a little extra height. I like the idea of the 2by4 mentioned by Agator and am open to other suggestions. My goal is to be able to load this kayak by myself and also transport it upright, along with a second kayak, in a dual j-hook carrier. It is important to me to be able to bring a guest with me on kayaking/fishing trips. Being out on the water is such a grounding and peaceful way to spend a day that I really like to be able to share that experience with other people in my life.

I appreciate all the help and advice.

Comment

While I am visiting demo day tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions for places to fish near Denton? The only place I have fished in that area is Martinak. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                While I am visiting demo day tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions for places to fish near Denton? The only place I have fished in that area is Martinak. Thank you.
                For good freshwater action, Smithville Lake is not far from Denton:

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P...mithville.aspx
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by UnkleRob2020 View Post
                  I picked up my new Falcon 11 kayak from Big Bass USA on April 29. I wanted to do a short test run and stopped at Wye Mills Community Lake on the way home. It is only about 20 minutes away and is in the right direction for returning to the Bay Bridge. I found crappie, largemouths, and a bluegill eager to hit a 2" white twister tail. Mark's suggestion of trying Smithville Lake is good too, but is in the opposite direction.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X